Former #32 Travis Colyer

And there’s been a few times when he’s missed. In fact I remember in one game he snapped a good goal and then about 2 minutes later he got the ball in the exact same position and missed. And it wasn’t a tough angle, so it’s not like he looks so dangerous that we have to leave him there. It seems some people just want to put him there because the alternative (well, their alternative) is to drop him.

And both of those opportunities came from handball receives and he was pretty much standing still. That and shots on the run coming into the 50 seem to make up the majority of his attempts at goal. Which is fine, but any midfielder could do the same. I want a small forward to be clean below his knees (especially on the run), I want him to be able to snap goals on the run, I want him to be able to crumb off a pack. I was him to make opposition players panic. I want forwards to actually be able to forward, to me that’s one of the major reasons our forward line looks so dangerous for the first time in years. Not trying to shoe horn guys like Howlett in there.

Back when he had that string of games where he had a really big impact I said it was a great but he needed to build on it and start getting midfield disposal numbers. Not 15-18 disposals a game which he was getting despite playing plenty of mid time. I said that because with the form he was in at the time if he could start getting higher disposal numbers he would be an absolute nightmare for opposition, but I also said it because he wasn’t getting midfield numbers and I didn’t want them to try and hide him in the forward line. He will always get a chance or two at a goal as he is small and speedy and I know some people rate him there but sorry, to me he is more often than not out of position and doesn’t look very dangerous. And I don’t really recall many good chase+tackles from him either (although I know he tries hard).

Even though he is not in great form given his speed and endurance combination I’d much prefer they leave him where he is a least playing a role, and not try and fob him off elsewhere.

Um, you did spot the original ‘?’, right? The forward line bit was tongue in cheek.

Oh sorry, I thought the original question mark was less of a question from you and more of a question “at others”. So to speak.

Oh well, I doubt the coaches will move him anyway.

1 Like

Where are you Trav!?

Can the 2014-15 version return please!??

Fans will hate this…but looks like he is playing with weight of world on shoulders.

He has currency. He looks like a bloke that would thrive at an other club ala Hibberd.

Season to forget this year.

1 Like

I am a big Colyer fan. All the returning guys have been up and down this year. His speed through the middle is so important for us…very hard to replace. So, persist. And back him in to return to his best form in 2018.

1 Like

He had one good game in 2015, then got injured for the last half. If we got the 2015 version at least we’d get to encounter his one good game.

3 Likes

I like Colyer, but he has been very poor for a while now after a solid start to the year. Had a shocker tonight, for someone as quick as him he was 2nd to the ball a lot and his tackling efforts weren’t great. Should be dropped, but not exactly sure who to bring in for him

I’d say 2 good games, but that’s a minor quibble.

Last time I checked (reasonably deep into the last quarter) he’d had 7 disposals. Yep, SEVEN!
For a running small, supposed link-up player that is beyond unacceptable. Just not good enough by any measure…

Like Trav but his form has not been AFL standard for a while now.

Trade / delist

Trav’s my favourite player and I wish I knew where he goes disappearing to during our games

Was that the 15 disposal 2 goal game? Or the 19 disposal 2 goal game? Maybe it was either his 26 disposal or his 21 disposal 2 goal games? I’m struggling a little bit to figure out which out of his 10.5 games in 2015 was his “single good game” he had before getting injured. Oh, I know, it was probably the 16 disposal, 7 mark, 4 tackle 1 goal game…

There was a reason so many people lamented his injury in 2015, and thought he was a priority to re-sign of the saga players. You seem to be trying to rewrite history.

4 Likes

Our inside players don’t get enough footy so it affects the outside players who rely on it being dished to them.

But then when he does get it disposal is often poor this year

1 Like

I’ve never seen a 5’6" guy who is so absolutely terrible at gathering ground balls. The kicking you can live with but he’s currently got a tendency to fumble handball receives and then can’t pick up the ball.

10 Likes

Yep, has only gotten worse as the year progressed. Time for some VFL action and then have a crack next year.

The passage of play last night where he sprinted past the pack for the receive, got the perfect handball, in front and just below chest height, which he duly fumbled to kill our forward momentum, is his career in a nutshell.

1 Like

He won’t be dropped back to the vfl for the last two weeks, but he probably should be. In fact he should’ve been about a month ago. Started the season looking red hot yet has hardly picked up a clean ball in about six weeks

1 Like

I’ve been firmly in the we need to play him camp due to his pace. I am wavering.

2 Likes

When doing this, the expert will include just enough ‘truth’ to make it defensible, or at least, mount a defense that is tiresome to counter.