Former #32 Travis Colyer

Bad luck for Trav.
Another example of why I was happy they put Ridley under the knife immediately, rather than “conservative management”

Bugger.

The doctors have to take conservative route firstly. A month in moonboot may have resulted in him being good to go and not miss any of the season at all.

No doubt they play the percentages on these things. Ridleys injury however was likely very clear case that surgery only option.

It does appear often however and it wouldn’t just be with EFC that the conservative route fails and surgery has to eventuate though.

It is said that Trav is a small forward, but as I saw it in 2017, he played as an outside mid, ( who generally rest/drift forward). Makes the transition of McGrath to the wing a no brainer if it wasnt already. Saad slots into McGraths spot, Baguley,McNiece, Dea, Guelfi then become bench/ depth options for Saad at this point

Gives another guy a chance like Mutch or Guelfi or Long.

Yep, anyone who thinks Trav is a small forward is an idiot.

3 Likes

Sucks for Trav but not a massive blow to the team

1 Like

love trav but this is career ending, was pitiful for many games last season

The good part of having a glass half empty means that you’re halfway to your next one.

2 Likes

He should sit in a chair for the next 3 months and have people throw footballs at him.

3 Likes

Unlikely. He is contracted to 2019.

" Bombers speedster to miss start of the season
Stephen Marson - February 8, 2018 - 11:49 am

Speedy Essendon forward Travis Colyer will miss the opening rounds of the 2018 AFL season, after having surgery on his foot on Wednesday…"

Travis Colyer to miss first six weeks of the season after foot surgery
Lauren Wood, Herald Sun
February 8, 2018 2:00pm
ESSENDON forward Travis Colyer will miss at least the first six rounds after having foot surgery.

QED

I wasn’t having a crack at you.
But those journalists…

Edit: I barely read any articles on footy from mainstream media these days. If I want opinions on the actual footy there are many posters in here who are far more knowledgeable.
If I want to know/hear things like what was said in a press conference, it’s pointless reading what the press said about it because they always twist it or take it out of context or simply misunderstand what was said. Better to watch the actual interview

2 Likes

Disappointing news. Can’t take a trick.

Also reading back through the posts in this thread from October made me smile. Everyone was suggesting we would need to give up Trav and next year’s 2nd rounder to get the 3Ss. Such little faith in Jackets!

1 Like

Trav was great in 2015, best 22 lock, but struggled to regain touch after the year off. What he needed was a solid skills block this pre-season. Instead he’ll have barely touched a football come season proper. Not going to help at all and this could destroy the chances he had of re-discovering his 2015 form.

IT BEGINS

7 Likes

2 Likes

So he can learn to collect at one touch.

Well that makes best 22 a little easier.

At face value it looks like we made a shocking decision with Colyers treatment.
However, I suspect that increasingly players will need to take a conservative route just as anyone else would to help with long term health - surgery being the last resort. It will be / is good governance.
Hopefully he recovers quickly.

1 Like