Former #32 Travis Colyer

Surely you’d swap out Jerrett, not Colyer?

1 Like

I would swap Jerrett out for Younan and he could play this week for Stringer

3 Likes

Jbomber, I think you’re taking a very biased and inaccurate read of Colyer’s career. The simple reality is that when available since about the middle of 2014 (when he established himself), he has been pretty much picked. The coaches do not appear to consider him fringe.

It also ignores the SAGA. With one or two exceptions, every single player EFC kept from the SAGA has gone backwards. Probably the only exceptions are Belly and Hooker. This was not known when the club re-signed these players. Although there were some WTF moments (Myers for 3 years), generally Blitz was in alignment with the contracts offered. During 2016 plenty of Blitzers considered Colyer a priority to re-sign, and I don’t recall many complaints about him receiving a 3 year deal.

Now, in hindsight his performances post SAGA versus pre-SAGA have taken a significant dip. Despite that, he is still played whenever he is available. So frankly, the way you’re describing him seems pretty out of whack with reality.

6 Likes

Yeah but his main weapon SPEED isn’t the commodity it was.
As in, we have plenty of line breakers now, where pre 2016, we didn’t.

Put him up for trade to a side that needs speed.
And we may even snag a 2nd rounder, albeit late.

We’ve unearthed plenty of gems there.

1 Like

Colyer was exceptional prior to injury and then the Saga. Last year he was woeful and should have been playing VFL to find touch, and this year he should have spent an extended period in the VFL post injury to find form and fitness rather than being rushed into the 22.

But his spot on the list should not be debated (yet). When fit and firing he is a match winner. He may never get back to this level, but I’m prepared to give him next year to find out. If he is still terrible next year then he should be delisted at that point.

2 Likes

I also remember him being cleaner pre-SAGA.

1 Like

If it wasn’t for injuries I really doubt Colyer would have been rushed back as quick as he was. Will be interesting to see what happens if/when all of Zaka, Parish and Fanta are available again

2 Likes

A lot of muck-throwing during those times, it’s true.

1 Like

I think you’re forgetting pre Ban he was only a forward, granted was cleaner with disposal there.

Last year he actually returned from the ban as a midfielder. And in that sense actually took his game to a new level. Albeit at times struggled with fumbling the ball and turnover.

This year in the North game played midfield and was clean. And used speed to good effect.

I don’t know why we wlukdn’t back him in.

I disagree completely with that. Maybe earlier in his career, but not in 2014/2015

2 Likes

Has only played two senior games this year but indications are that he has moved from being a depth player to a list clogger.

1 Like

Even earlier in his career he wasn’t. Now where he lined up on field that’s a different matter…

He played midfield before the ban, had a good spell in I think 2014 or 2015 but was so so fumbly later on.

Trade

1 Like

He has allways been in my best 22 until now really. I think he was at least average in the AFL for quick winger. Never a star but he was worthy of being in the team.

Needs to find much better form than last week to retain being best 22.

Colyer is no doubt talented but like Myers he’s always been inconsistent and I don’t see it changing. For every good game I’ll give you 3 games where he did nothing. Even calling back to his “best” year, he’d be mostly flashes of brilliance mixed in with mostly mediocre/average play. That’s the thing that worries me most about him, you honestly never know what you’re going to get. 2 possessions in a half? 3 goals? How many Richmond players are so unpredictable? Most always give quality consistent effort. I know different positions garner different results but I’m just just talking about output I’m talking about fumbling and just being involved. People are seduced by the flashy pace but under the hood all too often he lacks substance, and people remember him with bias being good when looking back he had a lot of average games… And please don’t tell me “he’ll get better” because if he’s in the team then no excuses.

His strength is pace but he rarely uses it to tackle and doesn’t get much of the ball for it to be a big weapon or get into space like Saad does. I think at his best he’s in our best 22, and I think when he’s mediocre/average/invisible I don’t, which is 3 out of 5 games I reckon. I wonder if a change of role, perhaps down back might be interesting to try…

2 Likes

I don’t see him as inconsistent at all. He just took a while to develop, and then unfortunate circumstances (injury / Saga) halted his progress.

He was rubbish early in his career because he could hit the side of a barn. He then became a super player for half a season, week in week out until he got a long term injury. And then the Saga hit and he hasn’t been the same since.

1 Like

So he’s arguably given us half a season so far in his career of good football? And that’s if we’re just giving this assumption that this half year was all good.

I had a lot of belief 4 years ago he would become a consistent and good footballer.

Things have gone against him to allow that and I doubt he will now. Doesn’t mean he didn’t have a bright future back then.

Hit the nail on the head. For a guy as quick as he is, you don’t see him applying lots of pressure, tackling etc.

There is still time for him to hit some form this season. For a player as inconsistent as he has been over his career, it will be a tough ask. If he doesn’t we should look at a trade.

For a guy who is a little ball of muscle, he really should be putting his body into the 50/50 contests more.

1 Like

Two good half seasons. 2014 when he got into the side, and 2015 pre-injury. Can’t blame him for 2016, and 2017 he wasn’t great but still played virtually every week. This year he’s been injured again.