Former #32 Travis Colyer

Stalin was more popular than Hitler

What begets a baguette to refuse to dance with butter?

Trav is terribly consistent. Apart from 1 purple patch a few years back he’s been consistently below par for the rest of his career.

I’m hoping he starts to grasp his opportunity soon otherwise time is running out.

1 Like

Nice to see you fellas getting in touch with and owning your b1tchy feminie side.

It would be a decent post, but you missed the bit where the club is ■■■■.

Is the very definition of a list clogger. Poor mans Tricky Ricky Dyson.

Thing is, I’m actually a fan of a fit, in-form Colyer.

It was just terrible decision-making from the coaches to bring him straight back in after just the one full VFL game (where he was average). Dude has missed so much footy over the past few years, he simply can’t be an automatic inclusion anymore.

He’ll probably improve over the next couple of weeks - I just wish that he was made to dust off the cobwebs in the VFL first, instead of needing to be carried in the senior side.

Fingers crossed he bounces back tonight, which I reckon he will.

4 Likes

You know I didn’t choose those teams to compare to right?

Griffiths played 2 games in 2017 & is now retired. Again it was Richmond moving past guys like him that made them a better side. Astbury is from the same draft as Colyer & if he’d not been a clear best KP option for the past 3 years, averaging 6 marks per game which is top level then I would imagine he would have been delisted by now. Colyer I don’t believe has been our best anything at any stage & none of his recent stats could be rated as good or better. Having Griffiths on their list right now would be similar to us having Colyer but they don’t. Having Astbury on their list if he’d not had a break out year 3 years ago & wasn’t playing good football now would be similar to us having Colyer. Its also fair to say both guys are 195cm + & talls are usually given more time to develop.

Townsend is an interesting one because of course like Colyer he’s not played much footy & struggled with some injuries. Now imagine for a second he comes into Richmond’s side in round 22 last year & had a game much like Colyer just did 9 disposals, 1 mark 1 behind. Is he likely to have gone on to play the rest of the year including the GF? Would he have been retained on Richmond’s list had he not seized his opportunity & kicked 6 goals again having a better game & then purple patch than anything Colyer has had so far? He saved his career & like I said I’m open to giving Colyer the same opportunity especially given the saga but if he can’t become a useful part of the side by the end of the year he should absolutely be considered for delisting/trading.

As far as what we can learn from Richmond I’d suggest what we need to add to match it with the best sides is better onballers than Colyer. Even if it was a version of Colyer that plays something like his 2014 form most weeks rather than mid teens disposals & very little other efforts. NO I’m not expecting we have 22 superstars but while Richmond have role players I’m not sure Colyer could be considered as playing his role.

BTW, I’m not suggesting we can’t turn things around quickly like Richmond did. I think we have some of the key ingredients to match them in several parts of the ground but I don’t think we have the top end talent & nowhere near the depth through the middle. I’m not keen to see our midfield weakened further at all but I think we are at the point where we need to make a call on a guy who is nearly 27 & possibly averaging less than any other 26 year old mid in the game.

Look at our list for a moment, factor in that this draft is rated highly & then find the 7 odd players you think should go before Colyer. Including rookies the league average is about 7 changes per yer but even then when you look at our rookie list we wouldn’t cut Smack, Drapper looks promising, Mynott & Lavender only just started & McNeice has just held his senior spot. So in spite of playing what I rated a much better game than Colyers, Long is the standout for delisting there & lets also add McNeice to make it easier. That means we have to find minimum 3 senior spots but realistically probably 5.

Jerrett is the obvious 1st choice & then probably Hartley. I think it gets a lot tougher after that. Lueny doesn’t look to have any future but we have only Tbell as a realistic ft ruck option, still he looks the next most obvious. That would almost certainly mean we’d have to promote Smack to the senior list. What next, if the draft is rated highly & we stay around the 12th mark then you would have to think going into the 4th round would be the aim. Who are the next 2 you’d delist before Colyer? The only 2 I think are in the same conversation are Green & Dea (assuming Goddard plays on). I rate Green as a better small forward option than Colyer so I guess it would come down to what role we see him competing for. I’d also rate Dea as a better option going forward albeit in a completely different role but would have no real surprise or objection if we delisted him at the end of the year.

If you rate Colyer much higher on our list thats fine, I’m just not sure that can be based on any recent form. 2014 he was still youngish & had natural improvement in him. Injuries & the saga have seen that promise not come to fruition. Its now 4 years on & he’s struggling in a side crying out for mids. I want him to get back to what he promised & the team definitely needs him but maybe its never going to happen. Nobody will take any joy from that.

1 Like

I don’t think he’s a superstar, and I certainly want to see us try and find better players for his role.
I’m just pointing out 1 ■■■■ game doesn’t make you an insta-delist.

Not sure how many we’ll actually cut. Colyer would go if you were intent on getting 5-6 guys onto the main list but I doubt that’ll be the case.

He is contracted, plus I reckon it would be easy to find 5 or 6 before him.

Jerrett
Long
Looney
Bags
Hartley
Goddard

1 Like

Long’s rookie I think but yeah.

Hope people are preparing their best rants for the cut-and-rookie move, cos I reckon we might have 2 or 3 this year.

Long’s main list. Was promoted last offseason. Had to be because he’d had 3 years on rookie list.

1 Like

Who are you thinking for the cut and rookie move?
Houlahan? Who else?

Nah, he’s a rookie. Pretty sure we just re-rookied him. I don’t know if we had to technically delist him to re-rookie him or whether the AFL have relaxed the 3 year rule.

No he’s not. The club site is wrong

https://www.ntnews.com.au/sport/local-afl/jake-long-elevated-to-essendon-bombers-senior-list/news-story/686891225ce25ac0ae0842282db9465b

2 Likes

Ah sorry, my bad.

I didn’t actually look at the website as its awful, I just don’t remember him being upgraded. I light of that I’d say he’s very lucky to be on the list. He may be one HAP thinks the cut and rookie move will be used on?

Although I hope we don’t, long before people were ranting about it I thought it was a stupid way to manage a list.

1 Like

It gets you earlier picks.
No two ways about it.

1 Like

Clarke, Dea, possibly Mutch.

I can’t see it happening with Clarke or Mutch. Have we done it before with guys who we re-contracted within that year?

Dea yes…and I reckon someone like Green might be more likely

Edit: But I don’t understand why they don’t just ditch the rookie list now

A majority of times we’ve done it, it’s been with guys who’ve just signed a contract.

1 Like