#15 Jayden Laverde - π‹π’π―πžπ“›π“ͺ𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

BEEN AROUND THE WORLD DON’T SPEAK THE LANGUAGE

On the contrary. I will get laughed at for typical Blitz hyperbole but I’ve watched every game since 2010 and Laverde [EDIT: β€œwas”] the best set shot at goal I reckon I’ve seen since then. Yes I’m including Ryder in that. Arrow straight, and so much backspin that there was legitimately no draw or fade on them, they just started straight, stayed straight and finished straight. Beautiful action too.

No doubt someone will come and offer a different opinion and that’s fine, and of course the big asterisk is that it’s off a sample of about 9/10 of his first shots which I think went 9.0 or 10.0 until the injuries started. From memory he took a set shot in his first game back after a long layoff and I turned to my brother and said β€œwatch this - I’d like to be as certain of winning tatts.” He promptly sprayed it and I can’t remember him kicking a goal since then. I’ll cop the blame for that one lads.

8 Likes

I agree with your post.
I did think up till recently that it was mental, that he had the yips like what many golfers go thru with putting.

Now, I am examining the possibility that some of those more serious injuries have impacted on his technique.

There is a player there.
If he does turn it around like The Langford has recently done, that drafting at Picks 17 and 20 in a very challenging situation, could prove to be a masterstroke.
Let’s hope so…

…but here is another who walks among them.

Nows the time to bring this lad in and see what he can do!

Nope. Wait one more week! :slight_smile:

Of course. It’s silly too judge someone off one kick.

But I feel like in such a big moment it was telling.

Hoping someone with more inside knowledge can tell me I’m wrong but Lav is likely to be playing elsewhere next year.

Getting 2 year offers elsewhere whereas the club is only offering him 1

My source is pretty good but hoping I’m wrong

1 Like

Reckon we will lose 1 or 2 players this year

1 Like

Lav is ripe for the plucking. Thing is he has not really taken his chances when he has had them. Yes, injury has also not helped. Right now, it is hard to see how he can come into the side.

We won’t get much on the trade table either. Fourth rounder.

1 Like

I feel he is worth persisting with. I would offer 2 years. He has been unlucky and he is young enough to make it.

6 Likes

St Kilda will likely come again

Carlton, North will take anyone

Would be a shrewd pickup by a number of clubs - cheap, high upside and currently stuck behind a number of yougsters.

I would be prepared to give him 2 years, but I expect other clubs would be offering more money

2 Likes

Yep I’d give him 2.

saints want lav, they give us billings.

2 Likes

Or he can back himself to break into the team

There is no reason he can’t be looking it to take Myers spot realistically other than his own fitness & ability to be given serious midfield development hasn’t occurred due to his injuries.

Or if Stringers planned progression to midfield actually happens then LAV takes that 3rd fwd/mid role Jake has now.

Right now given he can’t stay on park it’s pretty hard to offer much more than 1yr.

I also can’t see him leaving for only a 2yr contract elsewhere. This is a diehard EFC supporting family.

4 Likes

Myers current form might be an example of giving injury-plagued young guy with talent a bit of faith

Not a surprise. Don’t care.
Hopefully we can get lucky and upgrade a 4th round pick to a 3rd round.

6 Likes

Like Langford I think Laverde needs some consistency in the 1’s to truly develop as a player. Also the club playing him in his non preferred position as a forward (he thinks himself as a mid and I agree) has stunted his AFL development.

2 Likes

He’s never been even close to fit enough to play mid at AFL level.

1 Like

Doesn’t help that he’s been injured constantly.