#15 Jayden Laverde - π‹π’π―πžπ“›π“ͺ𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

What are his strengths?

2 Likes

Didn’t he play as a forward as a Junior or have talent in that direction? I actually think he is one of those players who will end up playing elsewhere because I have always wondered in the firsts, what is he good at???

He also seems to get injured a lot.

I’m not being a smart β– β– β– β–  either. There are a couple of people here who know what I do and that it is at least 10 years before getting to mainstream medicine.

For example, [redacted]. etc

β€œGlassy bodies” is not even a recognised trait by sports scientist YET. When it is, we can get a test for that too.

Chad sexington

There’s a lot of factors that go into a persons predisposition towards injury, some genetic and others more behavioral based.

Recruitment will inevitably try to get more detailed medical tests so that they can identify and avoid these β€˜glass bodies’, whether it will be allowed by the AFLPA and whether the science is actually there yet are complications. Theoretically it could also be used to individualise and improve training.

But a lot of the non-genetic causes for injury can be controlled and a lot of work is put into prevention by professional sporting teams, everything from changing running styles to proprioception drills. Now a lot of this kind of training is, at the end of the day, in the athletes hands and some simply won’t put in the amount of work required.

The other factor is of course luck; and that can be a β– β– β– β– β–  at the best of times.

1 Like

You hear stories of how some players put in that extra effort, e.g. Gary Ablett Jnr in a ice bath at 2:00am just to try and give himself the best recovery possible. While others no doubt do a lot less than they should. Some get away with it and some can’t. No guarantee it’ll prevent soft tissue injuries, but at least you know you tried to do all that you could.

f12874b8a1a5a61ca415145ee00e887f--glasses-man

Apparently this is a photo of Lav at the draft camp. Can’t believe nobody saw through him!

Hopefully things will clear up for him in the future, would be great if he’s fit and firing when the next window of opportunity comes around.

4 Likes

The most important quality of any professional athlete is that obsessive, bordering on addictive personality. Willing to do what ever it takes to gain that competitive advantage, obviously some take that a wee bit too far (PEDs, eating disorders, body dismorphia etc) but most it’s to the detriment of their own time and comfort.

Blitz always wanted more transparency with injury reports.

2 Likes

Another unfortunate setback but he can take comfort in the fact that, if he indeed he does have a frustrating injury riddled career ahead of him, there is no better or more generous a club at which to enjoy said career than Essendon.

8 Likes

Freo and Sydney have a fair shout too. Morabito and johnson

treloar just did both hamstrings and is out til finals. Imagine the reaction on here if that was one our players let alone Laverde. .

Agree he is probably a couple of years in the gym away.

3…2…1

You wouldn’t even think it was possible

I remember the Scott Gumbleton Steak Thread. Pretty sure it was actually spelt β€œSteak” too. Did he play 8 in a row? Crazy stuff.

1 Like

The Gumby streak thread was peak blitz

2 games short of releasing a St Kilda style DVD.

Higgins also tore games apart at the dogs.

Lav has not shown much more than a role player at AFL level yet.

Yes that’s true, I was just using him as an example of a β€œglassy” player that eventually got his body right. LAV has no runs on the board yet, but the usual Essendon patience and an impending 2 year extension might be rewarded with some solid form.

Has not built any trade currency due to injuries, so not worth trading, also not worth delisting.