#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Now that the Langford battle on Blitz looks over I’m prepared to say I honestly think Lav has a higher ceiling than Langford. And I really rate Langford.

Just hoping Lav gets some continuity - so much to be said for getting a good string of games to get the confidence up.

5 Likes

Wow. I think you’ll be in a small group these days.

1 Like

Me too!

1 Like

Lav’s career going nowhere at Essendon. Even if he doen’t want to leave, put him up for trade

Interesting
Lav has nothing like the skills of Langford, or the vision, or the extra time, or the bravery of execution, so where do you see all this ceiling blossoming from?

Genuine question.

2 Likes

Probably sounds like a lazy comment but I think he has more X Factor. I think (know?) he has the ability to jump on people’s heads in a Fyfe like fashion. I think he also has stickier mits (granted Langford is more than capable in the marking contest). Think his set shots are AAA grade although looking at his set shots there’s a fair case that he’s either been fully Essingtoned or is being hampered by his injuries (I have wondered previously if that’s a “thing” - who knows). Think he is also very good through traffic and is probably bested only by Hooker in his ability to get the hands free and dish off a handball (again, Langford is decent in this area).

Partly influenced by the fact that Lav legitimately looks like a man against boys in the VFL (often, not always) e.g. his 6 goals after a massive layoff whereas Langford generally looks more like someone who “should probably be playing AFL”.

Didn’t necessarily mean it as important that he’s going to be better, just that everyone is losing their mind about Langford’s month and I personally think Lav could easily be around that mark if not for injury. Of course I have long been on the record as a huge Langford fan as you know - I think I said I preferred him to Parish back in 2016 when Parish was probably everyone’s favourite young player that year.

3 Likes

WHEN

WHAT GAME ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THAT LAV SHOWED ANYTHING OTHER THAN INCOMPETENCE AND ANTI CLIMATIC MOMENTUM KILLING FAILURE TO EXECUTE BASIC KICKING SKILLS

Because every game Laverde has been in his opponent has had paddocks of space on the rebound and he has been one of the main reasons we have lost.

Yeah Reboot. WHEN!?!?!

1 Like

He is such a positive poster.

2 Likes

You are quoting the wrong poster…

Ask Dell. That was his post not mine.

1 Like

I realise that. I was being a smartarse. Needed a sarcastic font.

1 Like

I see something with Lav, he just needs some luck with his body and consistent games in the 1s. Honestly felt he was on the verge of getting his form back before he was dropped.

I love his hardness at the ball, his aggression. His work rate off the ball to make leads etc is top notch

Doubt he will leave.

1 Like

Agreed, you look at the way he plays through the midfield and try an compare his style to current players and the only ones I can think of are Fyfe, Bontempelli, Ziebell and McPhee. Now, I’m not saying that he will be get to that level but that is his ceiling, which I believe is higher than Langford’s ceiling which I currently have at Pendlebury. Fwiw, I think Langford is far more likely to get to his ceiling than Laverde, in fact I’d almost put money on Langford to get there.

I think Laverde’s ability to play forward is better than Langford’s, has better hands and leads harder both inside and outside the 50, has that little bit extra speed which which will help his leading and defensive output. Langford is a good forward though, smarter leading patterns and as he gets stronger he’ll become a better contested mark. Both will be a really difficult match up when rested foward in games.

No doubt Laverde’s development has been crueled by injuries, people forget that Laverde was actually a great kick before his ankle and leg injuries not only in general play but especially for set shots, he just hasn’t been able to maintain it because he has spent so much time in a moonboot and/or on crutches. Hopefully the ankle injury hasn’t caused any permanent damage that could be restricted his touch or ankle mobility, it was a pretty serious one.

2 Likes

The moment I dropped off being an ardent supporter of LAV was against Freo in the last rnd last year. He had a kick after the 3qtr siren and kicked it out on the full.

It was clutch moment because from memory it probably would have shut the door on a comeback.

I judged his temperament, skill, and yes X factor way down after that moment right there. It was horrible.

I hope he makes it and isn’t another lesson in why you need to draft footballers, not athletes.

My recollection of Laverde’s kicking is that it was never technically good early on. His first 8 or 9 kicks for goal just happened to go through.

Injuries or bulking up cruelling his foot skills? Time will tell i guess.

Was a smooth mover and clean disposal from what I remember pre-injuires in 2016.

Don’t see how bulking up would affect kicking skills. His quads aren’t that big.

Happened to go straight through the middle though, I wish the rest of the team could do that. It is possible that his kicking has been Essingtoned, not denying that.

1 Like