#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Rightio.

I’m surprised at how most seem to want to trade him out - he has always shown a lot of natural talent and skill, his biggest knock is his ability to translate this to AFL level consistently. Only in his 4th year at the club, 22 this year. 191cm and 90kg, almost identical to Patrick Cripps (193cm and 93kg, 23yo)

Played 29 games out of a possible 84, so 34%. 9 in 2015, 9 in 2016, 5 in 2017, 6 this year. Average dreamteam score of 58 and supercoach score of 57.

In the VFL, he has played 6 this year and 3 last year, can’t find any stats about 2016 or 2015 but that was the year when he had an ankle injury pre-season, then was tackled heavily against Geelong and had a 3 month shoulder injury. So would have been 3 or 4 I think.

For comparison, Langford has played 42 games for 50% (13 more) of possible 84. 8 in 2015

Laverde	 Langford

2015 AFL 9 8

2016 AFL 9 17

2017 AFL 5 6
2017 VFL 3 14

2018 AFL 6 11
2018 VFL 6 4

Total 38 60
% AFL games 34% 50%
% games avail* 65% 90%

*Assumes both fully available 2015, 3 VFL for Langford in 2016 and 4 for Laverde

Can’t blame him for ankle, shoulder injuries, appendix removal, etc.

Seems to be in the same position as Langford, playing a forward role to suit the team but not that suited to it. We are crying out for stronger midfielders, he needs to get an extended run playing on the inside. If we were looking at him in another team, there would be a lot of people screaming out to bring him in, is this a case of grass is always greener on the other side? 2 years is easily justified with plenty of potential upside.

3 Likes

I’m not.

How many this year already said they wanted any number of players that have since come good, … coaches, … medical staff etc etc GONE or INTO THE CANNON just 8 weeks ago.

Remember where you are.

3 Likes

Lets put aside the injuries… the bloke makes the right decisions and his disposal is good. His problem is that he doesnt get the pill enough in either the forward line or the midfield when he plays in there occasionally

Talented youngster or list clogger?
Arguments can be made for both.

Laverde needs the same run at it as Langford! I think once his body is right and he gets a good preseason we will see the best of him. I have no doubt he can play footy and I feel a lot of people on here will see it soon enough

1 Like

Not sure if this is serious?
Matt Guelfi was taken at pick 76 and has gone straight past Lav in 20 weeks… if you think anyone if is drafting a kid with his injury history with a 3rd round pick you’re dreaming.

2 Likes

My views are pretty clear that I don’t think we are a 10th placed team… especially when it comes to our list. We should have been pushing for top 4 this year and yeah, who the fark knows what happened at the start of the season.

So whilst I don’t want to let youngsters go… you have to be realistic… there will be player movement every season. My point was more that we have a raft of young guys, talented younger guys and if Lav gets a better contract then so be it. You take the picks you get and try to find another Orazio or Guelfi in the draft…

My preference would be to keep him… but hey… I wouldn’t want to pay overs.

5 Likes

I really want him to stay. I reckon he has a lot to give. If he gets an uninterrupted pre-season, look out!!

1 Like

I get the same feeling whenever I open this thread and see lots of new posts that I had when opening Scott Gumbleton or Jason Winderlich threads.

1 Like

I doubt he’ll go. It’s just Connors doing his thing.

Saints have form on this one.

We can give them an upgrade on Freeman, Lav might actually play a game.

1 Like

This is where it is at. Our list is looking the best it has been for many years now, which means it is going to be tough at contract renewal time. Hopefully Lav is embedded in the team culture which clearly has been building, because I have no doubt that he will get offers with higher $ and potentially more than the 2 years that we might make.

If he does want to follow the cash, then its a case of getting the best deal we can, but even if all the stars align, it won’t be better than 3rd round.

2 Likes

He has played 11 games over the last 2 years and I reckon he has been decent in one of them and WOG in a few. You’re always willing to forgive kids when you can see the player they may become but personally
with Jayden I don’t see it at all. Good luck to him but I wouldn’t be perturbed to see him at another club next year. I think a third round pick or an upgrade is where it’s at.

3 Likes

This is just not true.

Going from supercoach scores (good enough guide I think) and only comparing EFC players, he has been:
Rd 6 (Melb, loss) 11th, 75pts
Rd7 (Hawks, loss) 19th, 43pts
Rd 8 (Carl, loss) 22nd, 19pts (WOG)
Rd 9 (geel, win) 20th, 42pts
Rd 10 (GWS, win) 9th, 76 pts
Rd11 (Rich, loss) 11th, 67pts
then dropped

2017:
Rd 18 (comeback from injury, North, win) 20th, 46pts
Rd19 (Dogs, loss) 21st, 33pts
Rd 20 DNP
Rd 21 (Adelaide, loss) 17th, 53pts
rd 22 (GCS, win) 8th, 92pts
Rd 23 (Freo, win) 21st, 46 pts

So he has been in the bottom 25% 6 times, lower 25%-50% 1 time, upper half 50%-75% 4 times and never the top 25%. Only once WOG.

Clearly had a number of poor games but also had enough games as a 3rd or 4th year player (coming back from injury generally) to show that there is plenty of potential. And there were plenty of best 22 players who were poor in rds 6/7/8 this year.

1 Like

he’s done 2/5ths of ■■■■ all but given the way langford has turned it around, the club will continue to be patient with him. if he pulls it together we’re in fat city

3 Likes

I reckon you’ve actually backed up @Sugar_Winton’s comment. If he’s in the bottom 3 or 4 about 5 times it’s pretty to suggest he’s probably been wog or close multiple times. Regardless, the stats overall are pretty consistent with what sugar said

6 Likes

Langford was never doing as badly as Laverde

2 Likes

Never had his seasons disrupted by injury as much either.

I hope he stays.

5 Likes

That is true.