#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

About 10 posts back

So what is it that you see in him that makes you think he has a lot of potential?

I’m with @barry_day in that he’s really shown sweet ■■■■ all his whole career, although admittedly he has had many injuries.

3 Likes

I think that may have been a sour-grapes throw-away line by Vanders, referring to Ted Richards.

I’ve watched Jayden for a while now - way before he was drafted. I had him rated top 10 in his draft. There were many signs of his talent at the time, but unfortunately, the kid has been hit hard with injuries - ones that have prevented him getting things on a roll and building confidence - heck even knowing what kind of player he himself is. He has worked hard on his strength and body, because he has had foot/leg injuries which have prevented developing his tank much. I reckon this has offset him a little.

He may not make it - even if things went perfectly for him. We have people like Langford who have been virtually injury-free, and are just now coming into their role and place. Jayden is far behind in that aspect. He has had a few shining VFL games, comes in a bit disorientated, gets injured, and never finds his feet. Also keep in mind that the vast majority of games he has played in the 1sts - have been when we have been utter crap - and he played half-forward…

3 Likes

But you didn’t answer my question.

What is it that you see to make you think he has a lot of potential?

What are the specific qualities that he shows that give you that impression.

There are talented kids everywhere that don’t make the grade at the elite level. It’s ■■■■■■ hard to be a good AFL player and the draft is littered with good junior players that failed to make the grade

This here is probably the reason why I’d offer him another 2 year contract on minimum chips. He’s shown blistering form at the lower level and has some genuine athletic ability and is a great size. Last chance saloon to have some luck with his body and show something in the seniors worth persisting with.

But frankly it’s a toss of a coin whether we keep him I reckon. We probably will because we have a habit of not making these sorts of calls on a kid we rate. We hang on too long sometimes. I think he’ll get 2 years.

Slattery got 7 years, pretty sure Lav will get another deal, if he wants one :yum:

2 Likes

touche

2 Likes

I didn’t specify, because all that does is open up a debate on my opinion - because people like to ‘win’ arguments.

But I’ll tell you anyway.

Jayden is great overhead. He has good hands. He is far more agile than people give him credit for. People in this thread have said how he is a ‘straight line runner’ - and that’s bullshiit.
He is good in traffic. He is strong - can break a tackle, much like Myers or Stringer - or Langford. He used to be a very nice set shot kick. He has decent speed - good burst speed, also.
As a younger player, he looked a lot like exactly the kind of player we needed - a big strong inside/outside mid who could kick goals.

14 Likes

I won’t go for the try to win the argument and pick apart your points, and some i agree with but imo don’t help all that much, but will say once again that Lav wouldn’t be the first talented junior, especially big bodied ones, to fail at making the grade.

I reckon I’ve seen all of that… in the barest of glimpses and through some of his scintillating performances at VFL level. In short I agree with you. But it’s been the barest of glimpses and he’s miles from showing an ability to produce that at AFL level, not to mention his busted ■■■■ body.

1 Like

Of course he wouldn’t be!
The draft is an educated guessing game.
That doesn’t have anything to do with anything though.
The point is - I think he needs a decent, uninterrupted run at it. A lot of people have seen enough and have a different view. Fine. I’m hoping the club sees it my way.

Many posters here should think back, & then make a list of all the players, … for us, and others even, that they said were shitt, wouldn’t make it, had nothing, were/are spuds, should be put in the cannon, etc etc, … that then went on to make it, and do well, …

, … and then go forth posting accordingly with the list firmly at front of mind for reflection.

1 Like

It’s funny seeing the commmets about Guelfi going ahead of Lav, it’s easy to pass someone when they are injured…

6 Likes

All of you w@nkers who slagged off at langford, mcKenna, stants, belly, zaka, myers (most of you), brown, bags, smack or ol’BJ (me) can exit this thread now as you all have no credibility when spotting AFL talent and nobody is listening to you. Lav despite the injuries is well above VFL standard and hopefully will see he has a place in our best 25 next year as long as he gets a clear run as his body settles into the stress of AFL crash & bash. If he sees that future then I would expect him to sign on, as we (& other clubs) will certainly offer him a spot.

16 Likes

Will be a very good player for us.

6 Likes

Paul Ahern - high draft pick GWS - 2 knee reco’s - 37 possession game at senior level last week for North. Looks good.

Nathan Freeman - high draft pick Pies. Continual Injuries. Traded to Saints, kept getting injured. 7 games in VFL straight of footy and off back back of 37 disposal game last week about to debut for Saints this week.

Sometimes you stick with the talent

Even Myers has come good! Albeit we would unlikely give LAV as much leeway as he’s had.

LAV has had some very odd injuries that have been more serious than most. Here’s hoping he plays out year strongly including VFL finals

I expect he will be in red and black next year also

8 Likes

If you could see into the future, disregarding the pick he was taken at, see all his injuries, all the form through 2008-2018, would you pick david myers again or try your luck with someone else?

Can we also see into the “Someone elses” future too??

Coz o/wise, … it’s a pointless question.

4 Likes

nah, only myers’

Cale Morton No.4
Jarrad Grant No.5
Rhys Palmer No. 7

It’s a fickle thing footy, with no sure things.
If Lav is a late bloomer for us great, but another year to improve is about right. We’d then be able to seriously up his money / length of contract.
Until then, see above.

1 Like

If he gets a decent pre season, and then plays 10 straight games, irrespective of whether they are at AFL or VFL level, and he still looks like he won’t make it, fair enough, you might give up on him.
Until that happens, it is premature to conclude he won’t still be a player.

1 Like