#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Funny, . I would have said he was an early bloomer.

Came into the Senior side, and didn’t leave it until he was injured.

Once healed he worked his way back into it, and didn’t leave until injured.

essendonfc.com.au

Season review: Jayden Laverde - essendonfc.com.au

3-4 minutes

BTV: Jayden Laverde #BackIn - 22 Sep 2016 Laverde has resigned for a further 2 years.

Laverde played nine game for the Bombers in 2016.

Laverde played nine game for the Bombers in 2016.

Jayden Laverde has played nine games in each of his first two seasons, but the small sample has provided plenty to be excited about.

After waiting until round 15 to make his debut in 2015, Laverde remained in the side until season’s end. His 20 possessions, eight mark and one goal effort against Adelaide was his best.

At 190 centimetres and with a strong frame, the 20 year old went into the 2016 season with the tools needed to become a regular.

But an ankle injury during the pre-season consigned Laverde to the sideline throughout the early rounds.

He returned in round four, but after an encouraging start including eight possessions and a goal, his arm was in a sling by half time.

After three months recovering from his shoulder injury and building form and fitness in the VFL, Laverde returned to the senior side for the clash against St Kilda in round 16.

He stayed in the senior side for the rest of the season with his match against the Geelong (16 possessions and eight marks) his most promising.

Last week Laverde signed a new contract that will keep him at the Club until at least the end of the 2018 season.

“Having grown up supporting Essendon all my life, I’m really grateful for the opportunity to continue my career in the red and black,” Laverde said.

“Under Woosha we have a really clear understanding of the hard work we need to do as a team if we want to match it with the elite sides in the competition and achieve success.

“I’ve learnt a lot with my football this season and I can’t wait to come back, train hard and prove myself alongside such a committed and hard working group of footballers who are also some of my closest friends.”

Essendon Coach John Worsfold said he was pleased with the way Laverde was able to finish off the season, after injury held him back at the start of the year.

“Jayden arrived at the Club as an 18-year-old with a lot of raw talent, but through a great deal of hard work he has developed into an important contributor to the team” Worsfold said.

“Jayden worked really hard to get back from injury this year, and his pressure around the contest, clean skills and smart decision making was a great asset to us in the back half of the season.

“He has bought into the vision and culture of the football Club, he understands the hard work that is ahead of the group and the elite standards required if we are to improve as a side next season.”

AFAICT, he’s never actually been dropped once he gets into the team, … he stays until he;s gotten injured again.
(Was he dropped for Syd Final last year, or hurt again)

Have no idea why anyone would think of getting rid of him, … the only question is , “Is he Gumby MKII?”, … which I think may be the reason for the 12 month contract thoughts.

Maybe they’d be better off, (IF it’s true) to offer one, with an option should he stay healthy, for a 2nd, at a larger $$ amount.

1 Like

He was dropped for the Brisbane game this year. He was listed as omitted and he travelled to Brisbane as the only emergency so there was no way he was out because of injury.

Edit: and rightly so, because he was terrible this year.

1 Like

Injury has certainly played a part in limiting his output at AFL level.
But the glimpses he’s shown have been very small imo.

I’m firmly in the camp, that I don’t think he’ll make it, but I wouldn’t be worried if he stays on the list for one more year to try and get a clear run at it. I suspect if he leaves it will be his decision, not the club’s. But I wouldn’t be offering more than a 1 year contract.

3 Likes

Omitted the before this year bit, …

Anyway, … I wouldn’t take the fact he’s a bit down on form, and perhaps mentally timid this year as “He’s Gone”.

I can completely understand him going out of form as he develops, as I could any player, … but him particularly after the trot he’s had, and this year being “Contract” year.

I fully believe if he gets his body right, and then the time to get confidence in it back, … he will pick up where he left off.

It’s an interesting exercise to do this…just for us. I never watch other clubs enough to bother making those judgements. I am generally pretty happy to give guys plenty of time before writing them off. For us of our players still on the list:

Ambrose - I liked him initially, but by 2014 I thought he was done. Was surprised to see him re-invent himself as a backman. Haven’t wanted him gone since he went to defence

Baguley - start of this year I thought he was done as a backman, but wanted him to get a go forward (partly because we had so few forward options early in the year). I didn’t expect him to go as well as he has though and up til a few weeks ago, expected that he’d be gone at the end of the year. I hope he gets one more now.

TBell is an interesting one - loved him up to and including 2013. But I didn’t think he’d ever make it as the sole ruck. I always thought (even til midway through this year), that he’d play his best footy playing a maximum of about 60% ruck time and spending a bit of time forward. I though him playing ruck full time would hold us back, even though I was never in doubt that he’s AFL level. I’m glad he’s gone to another level this year and I hope he has a couple more years at this level or better.

Colyer - early 2014 I’d pretty much given up on him and expected him to be delisted at the end of that year. So it was a very pleasant surprise when he got back in the team midway through the year and played career best footy. I still held out high hopes he’d return to that level, even at the start of this year. I’m a big doubter again now though.

Gleeson - I’m not his biggest fan. I still think he’s just a fringe player. Will be interesting to see how he goes next year.

Hartley - I liked him initially and really thought he could become very handy. But now I’ve loaded him in to the cannon. Hooker going back is the worst thing that could have happened for this guy. I reckon he played his best footy when he felt like his spot was secure (2016, plus the patch in 2017 when Ambrose had a long term injury).

McNeice - I never wrote him off, but I thought he was on trouble after his stint earlier in the year. I wanted him to get one more crack after building fitness in the VFL. I think he showed enough to hopefully get some more goes this year. I wouldn’t be against him getting another year.

Myers - Start of the year I actually had high hopes he’d be doing what he’s done for the last month. But I will admit I wanted him in the cannon a few times earlier in the year.

Jerrett - he’s done and should have been gone last year. Was lucky to be contracted til the end of 2017, let alone get an extra year

Long - I’ll be very surprised if he gets another year.

Looney - yep, he’s done. Don’t care if he gets one more year for babysitting and occasional backup duties though. Although I’d prefer he finishes.

Pretty much everyone else on the list I expect (and always have) will win a brownlow, Norm Smith or coleman medal. If they don’t, they can all gagf!!!

This is really as negative as I get.
So for me, Laverde falls into a similar bucket to what some of the above guys have along the journey. I currently don’t expect him to make it. But I am certain he’ll be on an AFL list next year and for his sake I hope he gets a clear run at it, to prove himself one way or another.

At the moment though, I wouldn’t be disappointed if we trade him even if we’re only getting something like a 3rd rounder for him. Even if he gets a clear run, I just don’t think he’s got it in him to overtake any of the midfielders or forwards (who would play a similar role) that are currently in our best 22. Plus I rate Begley much higher and I’m guessing we’ll trade someone in or pick up a FA to make life even harder for him.

2 Likes

Anyone that says “I’ve seen nothing to suggest he could be an AFL player” is a dead set fkn lulu.

10 Likes

Unless they’re in the politics thread

I’m just dreading a repeat of the Alex Morgan outcome:

• Essendon offers Laverde 1 year.
  • Another club offers Laverde 2 years, provided he walks to them in a manner where they don’t have to give up any draft picks.

So we lose him for nothing…or it could corner us into stretching to another 2 year deal, just to avoid the list bleed.

After 4 years in the system Laverde when fit is still not an automatic best 22.
See current team selection for proof.
That’s why I’m referring to him as a potential late bloomer.

You and others may think he’s automatic best 22 but the coaches of a very much in form team don’t.

We’ve held onto much worse, for much longer.

No idea if he’s gonna make it, but if he does, I’d prefer it be with us.

He has substantial upside, and with medium forward’s becoming a real thing in the comp atm… He’s not the worst bet.

10 Likes

Fair go guys, this site is both a religious and political arena.

I think you might need to re read my post, … you don’t seem to have understood it.

Anyone who has a different opinion to you must have comprehension issues.
I hoped Laverde will improve and become a best 22 player aka “late bloomer”
You disagreed and called him an “early bloomer but injured a lot”
His current state on the pecking order of about 30th in line - best 22 last two weeks, plus JD, Gleeson, Begley, adding Draper, Ridley, Redpath, and your choice of blokes like Mutch, Zerk, Stewart
Would indicate a player who;
We’d like to keep for a year.
If best 22 or 25 after that then a longer contract with more coin is well in order.
If he’s still only around 30 after five years then so be it - unfortunately he hasn’t bloomed

Note I’ve minimised any personal jibes - try the same.

I’m not making jibes, … but your attitude would suggest you read my 1st post with that take on it, … that’s why I suggested you read it again, … as I was not.

I said I think he was an early bloomer, simple, and his early inclusion and not going out unless injured was evidence of that, If not cruelled by injury… simple.

Also, I never suggested anything about thinking he was automatically best 22, … so on the basis you somehow misinterpreted or extrapolated I had, … when I didn’t, … also meant you perhaps should read it again, as you must have misunderstood firstly, it’s tone, and also it’s content.

I think the early bloomer tag is generous.
2015 by the time he came in, the team was shot. The Saga players were mostly injured or mentally screwed.
It made sense to just play him as many games as possible regardless.

2016 was the topup team. Again it made sense to play him.

We’ll really never know if he genuinely would have got those games if the team was firing in all cylinders back then

So he comes into the team in his 1st year on the list, and doesn’t leave the side once he’s in,… when we have a full list to choose from, and almost doesn’t miss a set shot during that time, … and it’s because why now?? Saga players were mentally screwed &/or injured, … so he still gets no credit??

I guess it’s just how people choose to view things, … or what argument they’re trying to defend, … but that is just Bollocks to me.

I maintain I think he was an early bloomer, was physically and mentally ready for AFL seniors right out of the gate and would almost certainly be part of our 22 now but for the injuries.

1 Like

Yep, that one really bit us on the ■■■.

Yes, IMO he must be kept. It’s very simple - we gain nothing from trading him (because he has no market value - and I’m not going to enter into an argument on that). Conversely, we have everything to gain if he can remain fit and healthy and I think we have plenty of other players on the list to turf before him.

I also just rate him. I’ve watched him play and even in games where he has been considered poor - I have seen things I have liked - intensity at the ball, good speed, defensive efforts, tackling, clean hands, long kick, keeps his feet.

Just because he hasn’t put his game together yet doesn’t mean he won’t - and he has had legitimate injury impediments (including freakish contact injuries that have stymied his development). He could still become a very dangerous weapon for this football club, so for me it’s a no-brainer as a list management decision at this stage - must keep.

3 Likes

Part of our problem over the last 15 years we’ve held on to list cloggers far too long.
Other clubs a ruthless in this regard.
The number of players we’ve drafted that were injury prone, and held on to far too long is endless.

Yeh, Laverde might come good, I hope he does. But history tells you it’s a slim chance.

Not really no. A lot of clubs have list “cloggers”, they use them for depth. Clubs have a minimum list level they have to maintain and you can’t stack it with great players because it will cost too much and a lot will leave for more opportunity. So you have list cloggers.

I will add i hate that term because it very unfair on the players. Getting on an AFL list is not an easy thing, despite what people think. To get there you have to have a very high level of ability.

5 Likes