#15 Jayden Laverde - π‹π’π―πžπ“›π“ͺ𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Agree. Lav really attacks the contest & tackles or marks with intent.

Langford sometimes does it, then other times appears to sit back & ball watch.

2 Likes

Totally agree.

1 Like

Reckon he runs straight lines because he chooses too, not because he lacks agility.

As a junior had a very nice sidestep and breakaway pace. Two years of injury and natural juniors-to-Afl acclimatisation = unsure of what exactly we have here.

4 Likes

One of his first goals at AFL level was him running around someone into the pocket then into the goal square and banging it.

has a turning circle.

1 Like

I think he is competing with Stewart, unless injuries happen in the forward line I don’t think he comes in. Begley more likely if one of the smalls are injured/sore. I’d like to see Laverde get up the ground next week in the VFL, he needs to add more strings to his bow.

2 Likes

Irrespective of what we think, I think Woosha gave a hint to the match committee thinking last week when he commented on Begley’s tank being good. if you look at form and ball winning ability in the VFL, I don’t think Begley is knocking the door down, and Lav is, but I think they will go for someone who is able to contribute to the pressure acts and running that is a crucial part of the modern game.
I think they will pick Begley, and I think he make a modest contribution of about 10-12 possessions.

Spot on.

Laverde is still building up fitness but he would have to be close to a senior call up now.

Reckon whoever we’re playing this weekend in the vfl will give him a lot of attention, another haul of goals and 20 or so disposals and he should be an inclusion the following week.

1 Like

Bring him in against north so they can see what they missed out on last year!

1 Like

That was St Kilda who were throwing big coin at him.

Yes, just a large one. Scotty Lucas had a turning circle too. Didn’t make him a bad player.

And just because you’re saying that doesn’t make it true but whatever.

Its interesting to look at this as far as our current conversation about positions go. St Kilda had McCartin, Bruce and Membrey, but obviously thought Laverde could fit around that. Whether that was as a midfielder or fourth forward, only they would know, but they obviously wanted him. I would have thought he could fit into the forward line in addition to our 3 main talls, especially given the mobility of Stewart and JD.

1 Like

I agree he could fit but i think we would still lose something at ground level which to me has been our biggest area of improvement

It’s disappointing how Laverde has gone from a dashing and dynamic half forward / midfielder in his draft year, to the slow, unco, fumbly, Peter Somerville clone that he is now.

I don’t reckon we could fit him and Bellchambers in the same team, he’s just too slow and cumbersome.

14 Likes

Sarcastica font dysfunction

1 Like

Good point. I have long been of the belief that Laverdes hands above his head are far better than below his knees. I think his long term position in the side will be similar to Jake Stringer. 80/20 fwd.

But if he can’t midfield and can’t apply defensive pressure for 4 qtrs I’ll be surprised if he comes in.

I’m very bullish on him though. He is gonna be a weapon. Would be interesting to compare his body shape to Matthew Lloyds in about 2 years. Lad is gonna be a beast.

I can just see him bursting on the scene next year and everyone other than Essendon supporters will be like, who the hell is this guy? Very exciting player with a real fwd line presence.

I have a connection at St Kilda who told me explicitly that he saw the St Kilda draft board in 2014 and they had Laverde ranked at number 4 in that draft. They couldn’t believe he lasted till 20 and were devasted that we took him as they had the next pick at 21 and would have snapped him up quicker than you can say the word jackets.

24 Likes

My heart bleeds for them…maybe if they really wanted him they should’ve taken him at 1