#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

I went back to look up his combine results in his draft year just to see if I was missing something as far as potential impact that could develop.

did not test at the AFL Combine due to injury.

4 Likes

He can’t be a midfielder if he can’t pick the ball up off the deck. I think he’s a forward or nothing, just like many young blokes needs time

1 Like

I think he ends up going through there ASAP next year, along with Lang, … but when he burst on the scene it was on a HFF,… and IIRC, he didn’t miss a goal in his first 3 games,(7 straight? IINM),… then got injured, and hasn’t hit them like he started out doing since his 1st return, … until the games in the VFL after returning this time around, that led to his elevation, (particularly the last one, … with 4 goals)

Looked to finally get some confidence back in the last half, and held a couple of marks on the lead, … having fluffed a couple earlier, . but still hasn’t got his goal kicking head back on.

Commented at the game, that they appeared to be deliberately feeding him at every opportunity in the last half under direction, to try to help get his touch back, . and it seemed to eventually start to work… I was praying he’d hit that last shot on goal, … it was a dead set sitter, … but, nup.

But all things being even, he doesn’t make the 22 as a forward, he is 191cms, that’s not a small, and playing him with our 3 tails I thought made us look too top heavy last week. He has reasonable pace, work on his below knees skills and get him on a wing I reckon

3 Likes

At the moment he is too indecisive with his disposal - He needs to learn to give the first option which is usually the best option.

1 Like

Agree he has been disappointing this year. And clearly the wheels fell off yesterday. But I remember he looked like a jet when he played in his first couple of years…strong hands, good pace, ferocity at the contest and yes, good foot skills.

Play him out in the VFL this year and work on getting the body and head right for 2018. Has a lot more to offer than what we are seeing this year. It’s up to the club to get it out of him.

Is he even eligible for VFL finals?

No. Not even next week, unless he gets an exemption.

Interesting.

I would have thought for his confidence they would have given him a couple of AFL games then let him dominate a VFL finals series. Can’t do that now.

I see the potential with him and always have, but he’s in shocking form atm and cannot possibly be taken into a final.

1 Like

Has been very disappointing.

I’m sure he’ll be fine long term but if Raz is fit I’d have him make way.

Such a stupid rule. Because he played yesterday he cant play Vfl next week, but he could play the week after. Just dumb.

3 Likes

When on form, he leads well, is a strong mark, has a strong and penetrating kick, and is very mobile. Could be a mobile link up player who helps move the ball from the backline to the forward line, and pops up for goals. Hopefully a difficult match up due to his mobility and overhead marking.

When on form, and if he reaches his potential. At the moment he can’t make a decision or hit a target to save his life, and doesn’t have a big enough engine. So is not putting the pressure on he needs to.

I think the major issue is that if we had everyone fit and firing, he really plays the same role as Stewart. And I think Stewart is better. Maybe if Raz goes into the midfield with Walla more, but is Lav really good enough at ground level? And Begley is looking very good for that role as well.

1 Like

I see why the rule would be there. Otherwise if we had some players that were playing seniors but were still getting match fit we’d play them in the first VFL final making that team quite strong. Lav is not a great example of doing this, but let’s say Hurley played for us last week in the AFL and then we played him again this week in the VFL Final… not really fair on the other team.

Maybe the VFL should have had the bye too?

See, i think that if both vfl and afl sides have made finals then the ‘bye’ shouldnt matter.

1 Like

Well, … as I mentioned in the VFL thread, it’s Fathers Day this w/end, and I wondered (but have not yet checked) if the AFL bye landed on it last year as well, … and if it might have had some bearing, or was at least perhaps considered a lucky side benefit, of having the pre finals weekend off.

It would be a good idea if the VFL did as well IMO,… as once I realised, I thought it was great that I/we could just enjoy the day, with Dad,. and/or with the kids, with nothing Footy wise to distract…

I remember there being some sort of thing like this with Hawthorn a few years back. They asked for a special exemption to the eligibility rules for a VFL final and got it?

Edit: they did, it was McEvoy

Isn’t the main reason he can’t play because he hasn’t played 6 VFL matches in the eligibility period? Hocking can still play next week.

Depends what you mean by “main” reason. If he’d played 6 VFL games he’d be eligible. If he’d played one less AFL game he’d be eligible.