#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

HB, wing, HF
Take your pick, he could play any of those well.
But will we have a vacancy he can fill?

LAV

2 Likes

Massive question when itโ€™s seen as our weakness.

I donโ€™t see it as weakness like others.

I personally think Heppell, Merrett, Parish, Zaha and McGrath are locks.

Then we have Smith, Goddard, Langford, Stringer and potentially Begley as the rotations.

From there we have Clarke, Mutch, Guelfi, and Mynott already being developed as mids and showing good signs.

I think Lav is a long way behind in development with no real signs of making it.

Which group would you have him of the above?

2 Likes

I just wonder if the kid has ever been dropped due to formโ€ฆ or is it always through injury.

Yeah itโ€™s hard to say itโ€™s a weakness when we play like we did on the weekend. But it was definitely that last year. Time will tell. Even though Smith is on the smaller scale his physical presence looks to be massive.

1 Like

Most of the guys in our midfield are young and inexperienced.

I expect they will gel pretty well throughout the year and form a very strong midfield group.

2 Likes

What about Orazio?

Yeah, I didnโ€™t include guys like Orazio and Walla because they are mostly just impact players and I think it will remain that way.

Personally - I think heโ€™s an outside mid/winger who goes forward, but like Goddard heโ€™ll be able to fill roles across the ground if needed.

So he fits in your second category, although I think Smith should be in your first.

If Lav gets a good run with injuries, I firmly believe heโ€™ll go right past everyone in the third category, as well as Begley and Langford.

Smith I almost included in the first list but I still believe he will spend time forward until he can prove his body will hold up to the rigors of a full time mid role.

I think Laverde could potentially play wing due to his size and straight-line speed but he needs to start putting runs on the board.

For mine he is no chance at all of going past either Begley or Langford.

Both langford and Begley to me have proven ability with ground balls and awareness in contested situations. Along with that they both have great vision. I havenโ€™t seen any evidence of midfield time for Laverde.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

Of the 22 who played Friday 6 could make way for others (Langford, Brown, Begley, Dea, Green and Hartley) but in reality Dea is probably the one considered surplus to need meaning the others could rightfully hold their spots.

Then thereโ€™s another 6 who could easily slot back into best 22 (Ambo, Trav, Fanta, Glee, Lav and Myer) and thatโ€™s not even considering potentials like Francis, Mutch, Redman, Ridley, the other Merrett, Long or Clarke.

Will be fascinating to see who gets dropped for Fanta (Green), Lav (Begley) and Myers (Langford). The thing about Worsfold and selection is that he doesnโ€™t play favourites and if the incumbents are performing theyโ€™ll hold their spots until injury or form demands change.

2 Likes

This morning I thought it would be two weeks before this thread โ€œsprang back into lifeโ€
21 posts later โ€ฆ

Suggestion for new thread title
Jayden Post-Magnet Laverde

Clark Mutch Guelfi Mynott vs Lav? Uhhhhhโ€ฆ

Iโ€™m not suggesting they are in front of him.

Just that they are already being groomed in midfield and Lav is yet too.

Do you think he will make it as a mid or forever destined to fight it out as a forward?

Yep. General utility type mid.

Itโ€™s Goddardโ€™s spot really that he should be lining up for. Thatโ€™s what his junior footy was like.

But will BJ move on just yet, I doubt it, especially if we push close for a flag this year. Address any key issues via trade and aim to get it done next year.

LAV just going to have to get fit and bide his time it seems. Heโ€™ll need some solid midfield time at VFL level like Lang has done anyway.

Keep forgetting this guyโ€™s on our list. Hopefully he can string games together.

1 Like

I know you didnโ€™t say that I was being semi funny about it but he has more talent than all of them combined. Clark despite the pipe dreams probably has one foot out the door given his kicking hasnโ€™t improved, Mynott was a โ€œhard nut, good kidโ€ rookie attempt to find the next Hocking, Guelfi was passed up in 2 drafts and Mutchโ€ฆ well weโ€™ll see.

I think heโ€™ll be a mid. I hope.

1 Like

I hope you are right about Lav.

This year is important that he shows something.

Not really.

You look at the blokes not getting a game and he remains the most talented (excluding Francis).

So I think he could happily scrounge out a Myers type career if he wanted to. Just hang around missing the list cull based on hope.

Far more likely he goes somewhere else looking for more senior opportunity in my opinion.