#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

but they play him in the vfl as a key forward.

another skippy tantrum?

Nah, just a case of pigeon holing a guy and ignoring what he is actually best suited too. If you ignored a few traits you could maybe make a case for him as a mid sized forward, but he has absolutely no traits of a key forward.

1 Like

Just knew he would miss.

I actually think heโ€™s been ok the last 2 games stays in.

1 Like

I donโ€™t get it, theres heaps of players on our list that i look and see what the clubs trying to do to them and go โ€˜yeah thats logical.โ€™

lang midfield - could be one of our best hit up forwards
lav key forward - agree on wing/med forward
darcy outside hff - he has to be in the contest
clarke was a hbf/hff wasted a year when he couldโ€™ve been just thrown into the middle whilst still working on his kicking.
for mine mutch wouldโ€™ve been better utilised as a mid from the get go rather than a hb sweeper.
talk of ridley as a mid too? i donโ€™t see it, i see him and gleeson commanding interception with francis eventually.

seems like a club so desperate to appear clever that its backfiring on most facets.

3 Likes

Why cant the club just put the players in their natural posistion. I get that you want flexability in your team but not all players can play multiple posistions.

2 Likes

Heโ€™s just not that good IMO.
Iโ€™m still scratching my head about what people see in him.

2 Likes

Today the penny finally dropped for me about Jayden Laverde. Magnificent looking man with all the physical attributes to be a champion footballer, but he just seems to lack a basic โ€˜time and spaceโ€™ and decision making instincts. He panics with the ball and is the antithesis of Steele Sidebottom, who always looks totally in control with ball in hand.
He canโ€™t be relied on in front of goal either and his senior output is always minimal. I honestly think if Jayden was going to make it at this level, he would have done so by now. He doesnโ€™t even dominate VFL games, like some of our more recent recruits like Clarke can do. I think heโ€™ll be part of a serious clean out of players and staff at years end if our season keeps going like this. Would Clarko put up with this sustained mediocrity? I think not.

2 Likes

Jack of most trades, terrible at some, master of none.

Doesnโ€™t have a complete enough game to demand a position on the field. He has a few good attributes, but doesnโ€™t know how to use them.

Iโ€™m wheeling out the cannon/ firing up the glue factory.

1 Like

Heโ€™s missed too much footy from the injuries. Be another season or two before he catches up, if ever.

If only Lang got the same royal treatment.

Diffrence between him and Langford is Laverde is not affraid to show some mongrel.

If Langford had Laverdes toughness he would be the better player.

3 Likes

Delist

1 Like

I like his marking and his aggression is great. Heโ€™s slow as a truck and has a huge turning circle at ground level and his kicking for goal is schizen. I reckon heโ€™ll come good, but fck me his body is perfect for midfield and yet we have to plonk him deep forward. Typical.

You might be onto something here

Freaky Friday?

2 Likes

Itโ€™s a toss up as to whoโ€™s the more disappointing player.

Should of traded him to North Melbourne 2 years ago when they were after him

1 Like

Need to give him a good string of games, as we also need to do with Langford. We canโ€™t bring him in then drop him 2 games later because he isnโ€™t dominating. I still have confidence that Lav can be a player, so long as we give him (and his body gives him) a decent run at it.

Iโ€™m actually shocked at the sentiments being expressed here. Heโ€™s got a huge amount of tools but heโ€™s missed a significant amount of footy. Needs a good run at it like his draftmate, have patience.

That said, NFI whatโ€™s going on with his kicking. Iโ€™m as confident that heโ€™ll miss (supremely) as I was that heโ€™d score back in his first year. Itโ€™s incredible. Can injuries cause this?

11 Likes

They could start by playing him on a wing instead of adding to the glacier forward line of stringer, joe and Stewart.

4 Likes

Typical reactionary bulltish in here. Off the top of my head, Laverde has not had one single preseason/season where he hasnโ€™t missed a minimum 8-10 week block of footy due to serious (and sometimes unusual) injury.

We still donโ€™t know what we have here, but I reckon he can play damn well.

Was good last week, poor yesterday. But yesterday every player in front of the footy was poor, because our pattern of play is diabolical. Fix the fcking coaching/gameplan disconnect and maybe all these kids are no longer apparent โ€˜spudsโ€™ or โ€˜trucksโ€™.

Go read some of the Gleeson thread for how fcking short sighted and hypocritical we are as supporters.

27 Likes

give him one more game, then gets a weeks rest