#15 Jayden Laverde - π‹π’π―πžπ“›π“ͺ𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

You’re being a bit harsh but I have to agree he is running out of time and excuses.
There was a lot of excitement about him and Langford when we picked them up but they have been overtaken by plenty.
I really LIKE them both but it’s getting harder to justify selecting them when their output is next to zero.

I’m happy to be wrong, desperately hope I am, but like boot, I just don’t see it. Langford has 10x the amount of natural ability imo.

I like the boy and I think he’ll be a player but to only have 7, 9 & 8 disposals in his past three games is a worry.

I think he’ll be lucky to keep his spot as we find room for Green, Parish, McGrath & Hurley, who are all available/close to return. Hell, the coaches will probably end up replacing him with Myers.

No real change in statistical output but he looked more involved, and that involvement looked more effective.

Perennially injured, and then perennially into the seniors when under-prepared, means there is still some grounds for hope that there is a potential senior player there. Though even optimistic cautionists (not to be confused with those splitters, the cautious optimists) think we’ll know by the end of the season one way or the other. Another serious injury will be one kind of answer, a failure to progress if he stays fit another.

1 Like

I think it’s pretty disingenuous for people to compare langford and lav - the former has had an injury free run for pretty much all three years, the other not so much.

I agree with that but strangely Lav has had more opportunities.

They play different positions so the comparisons aren’t really founded.

1 Like

Well they were taken 17th and 19th in the same draft, both as HFFs with midfield potential, so they are gonna get compared.
But I wasn’t really comparing them to each other, I was comparing them to everyone else.

Disagree with this. Laverde has not come back to his full skill set since injury, unfortunately. I would have him for an extended period in the 2’s until he is 100% back, than play him for the rest of the year. In my (minority) opinion, he has as much talent as Langford.

5 Likes

He has all the physical attributes for the modern game , but at the moment he is too slow to act. Almost always goes back to take his kick slowing team momentum. Granted sometimes that may be because there’s no one to give the ball too, but needs to improve his twitch response and to take the game on. Too predictable. Thought he played a little tougher yesterday. Maybe there is some potential buried there.

I’m becoming less and less confident about him reaching his potential.

1 Like

3 games back after no preseason.

Let him play and see what we get.

Thought he, like the whole team, was quite good yesterday, cracked in and was aggressive at the ball. I was surprised by his low possession tally but he halved/killed a number of contests, including when outnumbered, and took some nice strong marks.
Think he was playing forward of the ball a lot, offering a hit up/get out target, which would restrict his possession numbers. Interested to see a heat map, if anyone has the full AFL app.
Should have had 1 goal (Raz), could have had 2 (Stewart got the freebie over the back instead).

Think there’s something there, would persist till the bye. Then really challenge him to impact more.

Langford has played more games than laverde.

1 Like

Yes, but he’s been available for far more.

Lav even when coming back from injury has played a couple of VFL games then straight back in.

Langford on the other hand is considered a VFL player due to how time he has spent there in the past two seasons.

Me either, what are others seeing I’m obviously not, apart from him not really imposing himself in the game.

Was laverde drafted as a mid?
is he playing out of position?

Was drafted as an everything. As long as he’s not in a genuine key post, he’s technically never being played out of position.

I’m not necessarily advocating this position, but if Langford comes good from here (and fingers crossed), you could argue they got his development spot on.

Last year he had already shown that he was ready in my opinion.

They talked him up all last year and then for some strange reason had him playing VFL games during preseason and then again during this current season.

He can’t do any more in the VFL.

lavs also torn vfl games asunder coming off injuries.