#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

I have had this discussion in regards to a few forward-ish players, but I don’t reckon Stewart is all that safe.

I think my best side has Stringer and Begley instead of Lav/Stewart. Really it could be any of them, and Lang might be seen as in that mix too.

Remains to be seen how well they (and others) adapt to providing that high target facing the footy that Stewart did so well last year.

1 Like

…yeah?
That’s about what I’d call his strongest feature. Not so much at AFL yet but he’s taken some huge screamers in VFL and TAC. Probably needs to get a bit more consistent when there is someone taking away his space and run.

1 Like

I really don’t think we can judge him on ANY of his exposed form so far, he’s been injured every year since being drafted.

Loads to look forward to IMO.

4 Likes

what is your best 22 at this stage HAP?

Yes [quote=“Henry_s_Angry_Pills, post:4732, topic:2085, full:true”]

…yeah?
That’s about what I’d call his strongest feature. Not so much at AFL yet but he’s taken some huge screamers in VFL and TAC. Probably needs to get a bit more consistent when there is someone taking away his space and run.
[/quote]
As you say, with a straight line run at the ball he’s a fine mark, but gets outbodied too easily by third or key position talls. Neither does he have Fanta’s or Begley’s ability to turn a man and mark in a contested one on one.
Hence my comment “ not great above his head”

Hopefully he can work on this, but for all his highlight clips he’s still a bit one dimensional as a forward - yep even Begley has him covered there, much less Stringer.

I still think higher up the ground is his best bet, and I’ve yet to be convinced we should substantially change our forward structure from the three talls
Joe, Hooker, Stewart / Stringer
And three smalls
Fanta, Tippa, Green / Begley/ Smith

I think

F: Fanta Hooker Tippa
Begley Joe D Stringer
Zaha Lang Zerrett
BJ Hurley McGrath
Bags Ambrose Gleek

TBC Hepp Parish

Colyer Smith Saad McKenna

I think. But you could argue we need another tall down back. You could argue Saad and McKenna are competing for one spot. And what I think changes a fair bit, week to week.

FWIW I’d love nothing more than to hear Clarke or Mutch are really smashing stoppage work in pre-season. Would add some nice balance to this list.

1 Like

In terms of what he’s done, absolutely. His form so far has been patchy.
But if you’re judging a 20? gamer on what they’ve done, you’re doing it wrong.

He’s got some real weapons.

EDIT: Actually if we were to throw hooker back (and I don’t want us to), I wouldn’t mind seeing Lav tried at FF. He’s hard to stop when the ball’s out front of him.

…surely “regularly” being in highlight reels tell you something.

1 Like

Carlol is regularly in the mark of the year clips.

5 Likes

Yes, that you play in the forward line! (I understand what you are getting at).

Hoping this year is the year where his injury setbacks are put behind him everytime he looked good he got injured.

Disagree with you here. I think he is a good mark, and has good lateral agility. His recent injuries may be colouring your opinion (or not).

Laverde had a better season last year off about a few months of running than a quarter of the whole list. And that’s including guys like Long. I don’t know exactly how how high his upside is but I think he’ll be a useful best 22 player.

1 Like

I think Stringer recruitment hurts Laverde the most in terms of selection as I see them playing a similar role of strong bodied HF/midfield stints.

Both langford and laverde have been slightly disappointing thus far in their careers but both have shown enough to suggest maybe they can make it. This year needs to be big for both of them imho.

Again, for me, it just highlights the strength of our list that guys like Laverde can develop in the VFL and be ready for rotations/depth… I’ve wanted that for years and I really hope it comes true this season… I want our VFL to be full of guys that are pounding down the door and bursting for their chance.

Geelong and Hawks both do/did that really well in their big runs and it benefits the team on three fronts. You have depth to cover injury, pressure on selection AND it gives you great trade currency at the end of seasons to top up/turn over the list. That is not suggesting I think Laverde is trade fodder…

2 Likes

No you couldn’t.

Both best 22.

Easily.

11 Likes

LAV.

I concur with the majority of blitz consensus regarding his strengths, weaknesses and potential.

What I don’t get is the people who have Begley ahead of him at this stage. It was all very circumstantial last year.

I want Begley playing 6-8 AFL games next year and play VFL in the guts learning to be a genuine mid.

If Laverde is good enough I’d like to see him play 25 games.

4 Likes

I hate the “look at his junior highlights” line. TAC cup form 4 years ago means literally zero now. Laverde definitely has the ability to be a gun but for his output currently, he’s terribly over rated.

7 Likes

You only have to read Laverdes draft profile to see that he was just as flaky in his TAC cup year.

Not much has changed.

Still a lot of question marks over what type of player he is.

I agree WOB

He doesn’t take the game on. Hasn’t for a long time.

When I say I want to see him play 25 games I still don’t have him best 22.

But I want him to make it. If he does,we will be a better side.

1 Like

Is he training with the mids or forwards this pre season?