#15 Jayden Laverde - ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ž๐“›๐“ช๐“พ๐“ฐ๐“ฑ ๐•ƒ๐”ธ๐• (Part 1)

Whatโ€™s hard to understand? Some people rate him higher.
Begs will make a very smooth transition to mid in a few years. His skillset just fits there, hand in glove. Iโ€™m still not sure (admittedly, heโ€™s had a shocking run at it) where or how Lav fits in there. In VFL and AFL his form has all been forward.

I rate Begley very very highly - but so far Iโ€™m not seeing much to change my views.

2 Likes

More than 10 goals in a few games at vfl level after being injured entire preseason most of regular season up to that point. and people are all but calling for his delisting but players like long have shown โ– โ– โ– โ–  all their entire career but because his dad is a legend of the club he must get the time to prove heโ€™s worth it. or mckernan who plays 1-2 good games a year and has had a career thats truly perplexing is still a blitz favourite to many?

3 Likes

You shouldnโ€™t take a lot of notice of his 5 games last year, โ€ฆ he was once again returning from injury, and as I said earlier here, after hitting ripping VFL form quickly, something was weird when he went up into the Seniors, โ€ฆ he didnโ€™t seem to be able to play his natural game, or with the same flair.

His form in his 1st season showed what he has to offer, โ€ฆ and I for one, am confident heโ€™ll settle and produce it again and then some this year.,

Howโ€™s the off-season cabin fever going?

1 Like

Please list them. Lavโ€™s senior form was awful due to his limited prep and he had a couple of good VFL games. Iโ€™d be interested to see who you think ranked lower.

1 Like

I remember when Laverde was to Blitz, what Begley is to it now.

Young, exciting and sure to be the next big thing with no downsides. How the tide turns.

1 Like

Begley is the real deal in my opinion.

His stocks will rise very fast

1 Like

Iโ€™m not saying heโ€™s not, but Laverde (and plenty of others) have had the exact same hype around them.

Yeah fair enough.

I have never understood the fascination with Lav

Hopefully he can have a big year

I feel that way with Begley. I hope we are both wrong!

If they both come on then we are in a great position

1 Like

I reckon if one of them does weโ€™re in pretty good shape

2 Likes

Jayden
Laverde

I think people 12 months ago were underrating Stewart and are still underrating him

23 seconds in fends off two players snaps goal, letโ€™s also mention his pin point kicks to players running full tilt to both Colyer and Tippa

Letโ€™s also look at the scores in the highlights and see how many clutch goals he kicks from roving, big marks, from 50 out, and on both feet

once weโ€™ve done that, letโ€™s look at his agro and intensity for the contest and big time goals, and he played his first game about 8 rounds in

right footed Danniher about a year behind him in progress and experience, maybe two years now because Danniher is a beast

9 Likes

Stewart was very good last year, for a 22 year old 197cm forward it was a very exciting development year and really a great bonus for the club. He provides a significant mismatch for opposition teams in that they need a genuine tall to match him, however itโ€™s his agility, pace, contested work that are his real weaponswhich makes him an even more difficult match up. He hasnโ€™t shown he can become a genuine number 2 tall forward but not many 22 year olds have and even if he doesnโ€™t develop into a great contested mark he can still be a very effective key forward. Opposition teams will put a bit more time into him this year so itโ€™s a great challenge but Iโ€™m confident we will see another strong development year from him.

Injuries have robbed Laverde of significant development time since he was drafted, at the time a mix of him and Langford as forward/mids looked the perfect selection. Our list has since changed significantly. Stewart has gone way passed him for the third tall, depending on how successful Stringer is as a mid he is also potentially competing with him and as is Begley. Based on exposed form all those boys look better players now and in my view look better long term prospects. I actually donโ€™t see Laverde playing many AFL games this year, I see him having a similar season to Langford as last year. Developing as a VFL midfielder with time inside and outside the contest. He isnโ€™t going to make this side as a marking forward and depending on how he progresses his midfield craft could be weโ€™ll be squeezed out.

4 Likes

Theyโ€™ll always be opportunities due to rolling injuries. Laverde will most likely play early and have a chance to maintain his position by performing. Hopeful that heโ€™s fitter and more versatile.

I wonder if Stewart with h is agility couldnโ€™t at some point do a stint in our midfield.

2 Likes

Good question. I havenโ€™t really drawn up a best 22 yet as I reckon the players that would fall into our 15th-30th best player range are all very close and both these two would be in there. Gut feel is based on their respective performances last year Stewart will be given first crack at the 3rd tall forward spot but I think Laverde is the more talented player.

Yep. โ€œBest 22โ€™sโ€ are a complete waste of time until around the half way point of the / any season I reckon.

So we can pick 30 blokes for round 1? :grinning:

3 Likes