#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

I wouldn’t be trading him at all.

Putting aside his potential, his love for the club. etc. It’s terrible look and terrible precedent to set at the club to trade out a bloke that just happily committed to.

“Got give something to get something”. What you get is a group of players that now question the faith they have in the club and coaches now knowing contracts and loyalty mean nothing and resentment towards a newcomer that is the reason why their mate is no longer at the club.

Clubs spend years building a bond and trust between players and coaches, to sacrifice for your team mate. A point I believe the club currently has reached. Simple greed and desperation to get better, faster, can undo all that in one thoughtless trade.

7 Likes

Did we sign him up, just to boost his trade value?

I wouldn’t be trading him for a second round pick, but if he’s the sweetener in a deal that gets us a legit gun… I can understand the thinking.

He’s a talented first round pick, with plenty of upside, who is on the fringes of our best 22.

His name is gonna come up in trade discussions.

3 Likes

Fatten for market in Round 23, contract to increase trade leverage. List management and trading 101.

If somebody is stupid enough to offer us a 2nd round pick for him, which we could then use to help get Setterfield over the line, then I’m taking that and running like a bandit.

No chance in hell this guy is worth a 2nd round pick. I don’t care how talented or athletic he is, he’s played 30 games in 4 years FFS!

3 Likes

This is the only way I see it happening. In no way do we just move him for a pick.

More like: Gun for pick 8 + Lav + Harts

Some clubs demand 2 first rounders but ultimately something like the above would be more beneficial if get players who can immediately impact.

From opportunity point of view … If we bringing in a gun inside mid who can play fwd … which Lav aims to become then he is pushed back in line again & might see it best himself to move.

1 Like

I’d trade him for a second rounder in a heartbeat.

But I suspect it won’t come to that or won’t be as simple as that. I’d guess it will only happen as part of a deal to get a gun to us.

A non Essendon outsider would not value Lav as an early second rounder, given his injuries woes…that’s the reality of his value. But me, I wouldn’t trade him for anything less than that because I’m a lot more centimental and invested in his career.

There is a slight chance he could be lured for more money and opportunity if we lured another 2 opposition mids.

1 Like

Then there’s no value in trading him. Why would you give up a player that could very likely bite us in the backside for a crappy pic.

Blitz does this every year.
Last year it was Francis for a third round pick!
The year before was Langford for a third rounder.

On and fricken on.
Next year Blitz will be wanting a 4th rounder for Begley.

5 Likes

Yeah, but Blitz is full of people who think you’ve got to be active trading, even if it’s downgrading. Do something…anything!!!

1 Like

Dodoro is pretty good with crappy picks

It’s his second rounders I worry about…Steinberg still haunts me, even if the Lunchtime Podcast guys lust after him.

But Ridley and Begley look OK. J Merrett no.

Z.Merrett was pick 26…

That is bizarre

But he was our first pick that year.

I think he likes to go safe with the first pick, and ventures a bit in the second.

The pick also came for a player that wanted to leave.

Poor Lav, recovering from injury- then hears there is a chance he could end up at Carlton…

2 Likes

His dad is doing some construction at my work: saw my Stand By Hird poster and approved. Confirmed Jayden has slimmed down a bit.

20 Likes

Massive Laverde fan still. I’m excited because I think he is a ‘sleeper’ in our emerging armory of young stars. I can understand the perceptions given what he has produced so far, but I am sticking with my gut feel on this one. Often think he gets judged very harshly based on his lack of production in games- when what he actually does do is often smart and damaging (I acknowledge he drifts out of games currently).

He is also underrated in his forward line pressure for a bloke his size - grits teeth, pursues defenders and tackles with intent - good physical presence in general. I like the idea of him slimming down slightly too. The best is yet to come for Jayden.

9 Likes

The guy has just kicked a black cat face first into a mirror.

He’s played seriously good games in both the 1s and 2s and has just had some bad luck with injuries… he can play, the only thing holding him back has been fitness. You don’t forget how to play good footy and his durability may not be an issue with better management.

We’ve persevered with Myers’ injuries for a lot longer than Lav - he’ll get a run at it soon.

1 Like

Maybe when he’s 29 he’ll win the most improved award at the best and fairest.

5 Likes

I rate him.

He’s still on the list which is more than you can say about the pick before Blaine Boekhurst.

Fark Carlton.

5 Likes