#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Tracking well on his recovery, and sounds like he is being well managed. That is to be expected after such a serious injury. Will be cherry ripe and raring to go for the last month of the H & A. Will make an impact and leave a good impression.

One more wk in the VFL.

At least. I was thinking it would likely be 2 more. He did zero running for a long time, but I’m not sure how much he’s done since he’s been able.

For real?

Damn. Wish I could do my job as well as he does at 80% game time. Fridays off forever!

1 Like

This kid is a fkn beast! His draft profile states that all signs point to him playing midfield at the next level because of his attributes. Why do people think he is not midfield capable?! Give him a clean run and he will smoothly transition into Fyfe, I mean midfielder. #Lavislife

Absolutely, definitely midfield capable. Probably not so much this year, now, due to the layoff.

I view he and Langers as switching mid/forwards with Jayden a bit more midfield and Kyle more forward oriented but I suspect the club view it the other way.

7 Likes

Was on limited game time again on Sunday in ballarat. Full match loads from this week, you’d imagine he’d need at least a couple of games with good form before forcing his way in.

He plays like he did last week he will be in the following week. Class above!

Class above one of the worst VFL sides in a while that’s currently anchored to the bottom of the ladder and winless. You’d want to hope so… Lets see him string that sort of form together over a couple of weeks against genuine opposition.

2 Likes

I think this factor applies more to the team as a whole than to individuals. But yes, I’d say another ressies outing and then start to look closely at his form for seniors.

Looked very sharp in the VFL highlights… and apparently that’s at 80%!

He looked a class above all of our VFL players as well . He has to get through a full game this week with the same level of class and domination of his position, but I can’t see why a guy who kicks 3.3 and has 23 touches across HF wouldn’t be in contention for a senior spot.

2 Likes

He plays with arrogance but within team rules, and I think he will be great for the senior side. We need a bit of what he brings in the AFL team.

I see him having bursts at the centre bounce (in 2018 especially after an actual preseason) but mostly HF/wing. At best in 2017, we’re lucky if he can come back and average games with 12 touches, 1 goal and a couple of assists.

They way he protects the space with his arms when he marks overhead is great. Defenders have trouble with the spoil from behind. Hence he’s great on the lead. The question is who does he replace so the chemistry of the forward group is in tact.

2 Likes

Exactly. On current form he’s not forcing out Stewart as the 3rd tall and if he replaced Green you could argue we’re possibly a bit too tall up front.

2 Likes

I’d bring him in for Stewart when he gets fit enough, which may be 2-3 weeks away. Despite the size difference, I reckon he offers more in the air than Stewart. He’s probably better around the ground too.

I’m not sold on Stewart yet. He has played a few good halves when we are on song, but has gone missing when the heat is on. At the moment I’d persevere with Stewart because he is working up and down the ground and providing an option, but I don’t have him in my best 18.

Long term I see Laverde as a forward rather than a mid. I don’t think he’s particularly good below his knees, which is an essential trait for misfielders. As a lead-up option and link man he is very good. I think high half-forward is his natural role. He’s also one of our better kicks for goal.

Hasn’t stopped Langford from conning himself into a midfield role.

Well I reckon Langford is much cleaner below his knees, and is a far more natural midfielder. Laverde is a very upright player who doesn’t take the ball cleanly in congestion. He’d probably go alright on a wing, but I don’t think he’s a stoppage player. In my opinion the club is developing both players in their best roles.

4 Likes

I disagree about lav not being a contested player and being an ‘upright player’

2 Likes

H0mo erectus.

Sounds like you have Langford and Laverde mixed up to me by the way you describe them both.

1 Like