#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

That is pretty much it in a nutshell.
maybe if he had a full preseason fitness without injury it would be different.

3 games back and playing a stay at home forward, they pick him to play in a mostly defensive role with hopefully a bit of attacking flair here and there and kick and or set up a couple of goals.

Begley fitted the role more. it’s twice this year now green has missed games and they’ve ■■■■■■ up his replacement, and just put spare parts players in his role.

stewart or even hookers role is where i see he should be aiming for, not a small forwards role.

1 Like

LAV

2 Likes

I’d say its more a reflection on the people that blocked others though. They don’t seem to have the self control to not ‘rise to the bait’

1 Like

overrated just like langford unfortunately

trade at year end

1 Like

What kind of person takes delight in continuously baiting fellow team supporters?

1 Like

Well the people that gloated about blocking people would also call those people trolls so it stands to reason that they’re getting baited. Mostly by choice though

■■■■■■■■

^^^^^^^^^

If that’s the word I think it is, then I agree.

1 Like

At the game, I thought Laverde was totally useless. However, I just watched the replay and I can’t believe how much he did that I hadn’t noticed. Sure, he missed his one and only shot at goal (not Robinson Crusoe there), but he was involved several times in the link up to a goal or a shot at goal.
Actually, not a bad effort for his second game of the year. I would persist.

1 Like

Just on this bit, when we were winning a flag every 7 odd years, with a genuine finals run mixed in between, it was definitely not boring.

It’s not like the recent Hawthorn/Geelong eras where their club supporters supposedly switched off because of how good they were.

Not saying you have to win the whole damn thing all the time, but making a good repeat finals tilt even semi regularly probably enhances the emotion and belief. Say maybe once a decade.

It’s no coincidence that many long suffering clubs have low supporter bases and had extended periods at the very bottom, St Kilda a prime example.

I may have the rose coloured glasses on but I don’t think our supporter base would take success for granted or drop off that badly. More recent history does back it up though ie 2000 era don’t think we became bored and saga period we didn’t jump ship in the droves expected.

4 Likes

Can someone please quote him so I can see what he is saying?

1 Like

Any suggestion to move on Laverde or Langford or other young player who has broken into the senior team is madness given the demographic of our list. We have enough older and “nearing the end” players to move on this year.

I always find it amusing when a player suddenly emerges into an influential AFL player after 3-5 years of development. Seb Ross is an example. Two years ago we would have called him a bust as a draftee. Now we’d all love to have him in our midfield.

I see Lav and Langers and Francis as being in this category.

5 Likes

How was it for the teams languishing at the bottom of the ladder? The ones being called ‘irrelevant’?

It all depends on how broadly you think.

EDIT… Then I read the rest of your post. I’m on a phone.

Frosty, you make some good and valid points. I just have some reservations on the standard of the VFL and its ability to get players ready for the AFL.

1 Like

Nothing much has changed ever since I watched my first game centuries ago. Guys who star in the reserves often find it much tougher where the tackling is harder and the pressure is greater, and you generally have a much higher quality player to beat.

Years ago, young players could be in the Under 19’s for a few weeks, and play one average game in the reserves, get called into the firsts and never look back.

Playing games at all levels get you match fit and hardened, training and practice hones your skills, listening to the Coaches gets you into the game plan; but nothing beats ability and determination.

1 Like

I’ve actually really enjoyed the highs and lows of this year. Been a lot of fun and frustration, but overall in the right direction given all of the cr@p of the last 4 years. Don’t get me wrong, I want to play finals. But if we get over the Crows and grind carlscum into the dirt like we should I’ll be happy to risw the high. If we lose I’ll bw happy to lament Sydney, Bris and Carlton.

Better than being emotionally botoxed.

3 Likes

Walla, Fantasia, McKenna and Stewart have all come from the VFL to play important roles.

It’s valuable for teaching the players structures.

Using Langford as an example. He and the club identified that he has talent to play in midfield but acknowledge that its not possible to do at senior level. He plays midfield at VFL year this year and has shown that he has genuine talent to play as a midfielder.

The challenge for him now will be to have a big preseason with the knowledge that he will be a senior level midfielder next season if say Jobe retires and from there he needs to make the step up.

My prediction is that he will probably do quite well in the preseason games because the pressure is less and then when we hit the real deal the change in pace and pressure will catch up with him. After the initial adjustment it’s from there we will know what sort of a player we will have. I’m expecting by the end of next season he will have had a breakout year.

Laverde is effectively a year behind Langers in development and next year I think he is probably going to show some real talent as a forward but in a similar vein to Langers start working on his midfield game. Jayden is 6 months older but yet a year behind in development unfortunately so he’s going to require patience.

2 Likes

[quote="Killer_Mike, post:4325, topic:2085, full

Jayden is 6 months older but yet a year behind in development unfortunately so he’s going to require patience.
[/quote]

Unfortunately for many Blitzers their only understanding of patience is that card game their grandma tried to teach them.

5 Likes

Exactly.

If all our players were the best in the AFL we would win all the flags this year😄

We are building but patience is required.

I think Jayden deserved to be dropped. I do like him as a prospect but he played as a deep marking forward when coming back through the twos and he just isn’t going to play in the position in the ones. He needs to get midfield minutes and the VFL is the place he is going to get them.

1 Like