#15 Jayden Laverde - 𝐋𝐢𝐯𝐞𝓛𝓪𝓾𝓰𝓱 𝕃𝔸𝕍 (Part 1)

Not so much lost faith as concerned by history. The players on our list who were drafted as juniors who are best 22 now but weren’t the year they turned 21: Bellchambers, Colyer, Myers (Edit: forgot Hartley, with the delisting in between). Previously Hocking. Jobe’s not on the list because he was drafted at 17 (couldn’t be under current rules) and played 21 games the year he turned 21.

I’m not panicking or calling for their heads or anything, I’ve just shifted downwards slightly from expectant to hopeful.

4 Likes

Doesn’t matter if that were true, which it isn’t.

Boekhurst won’t make it.
Ask any Carlton fan !

Langford and Laverde are still question marks, but there is plenty to work with.
Personally, I think Lav has some great tools.
Needs an uninterrupted season though…no doubt.

2 Likes

Clearly the lad needs a reasonable crack at it, in which injuries have denied but for mine he needs to play up the field, wing perhaps even half back. We have Stewart, Begley, ahead of him currently. If we do manage to bring in Stringer and we don’t feel he has the ability to transition to another role I think he could be moved on. I also wasn’t as impressed as others were at his ‘bags’ in the reserves - for example the game in where he got 6, he got 3 of them over the top in the last quarter when the opposition had completely stopped.
He certainly has some AFL quality attributes, but if he can’t add another string to his bow he is in a tricky spot.

5 Likes

Nailed this as well

We should trade him to Carlton then!

I think people assuming Begley is ahead of Lav and The Langford aren’t necessarily correct.

Don’t be surprised if BBB finds himself in a similar situation to The Langford where he goes back to the VFL to learn to midfield.

Get a taste, know where you sit, know what you need to work on, get better, come in as a better footballer who can midfield.

1 Like

nup, BBB is in the team to stay

1 Like

Maybe. But I doubt it.

We need him to develop as a midfielder.

Like Langford he never really played / dominated in those positions at the time of his draft.

And learning to midfield from scratch in the AFL would be astronomically difficult to achieve.

That’s fair enough, my comment was more around the competition Laverde currently has for that mid sized forward role now and how that would increase should we bring in Stringer. I hope both Laverde and Begley play more midfield next year.

1 Like

I see him as a wingman. He is quick. He takes a good grab. He chases and tackles hard. He tries to create, and I believe will do that well with consistent games (not gifted but earned). His kicking isn’t as bad as it appeared in the return from i jury games this year. Turnovers came from trying to take risky options. I think these will decrease as he establishes his place and role.

Regarding his age and relative achievement to date, it was only this year that Brad Crouch went from failed trade bait question mark player to established contested ball inside mid in a premiership contender. A lot can change in the space of a season for young players when they mature into their physique and get a bit of luck go their way.

10 Likes

Please trade him for Stringer.
Laverde is incredibly overrated.
Average speed, marking and kicking.

1 Like

It is possible to get a good feel for whether a player has ‘it’ after a few seasons. No, you can’t be certain, but you can have a general idea. Neither langford nor laverde look like it to me

Well, we can only wait and see.

Explain how this trade would go?

Something reeks about Stringer.

Correct IMO.
Not necessarily a commentary on lang or lav.

Also with the changing landscape of player movements, clubs prolly can’t afford, or aren’t willing to pile 5 years of ground work into players, finally start to see the results, and then they ■■■■ off to another club due to free agency.

Again not a commentary solely on these 2 players.
Whether they were drafted as something else, both ended up being forwards for the last 3 years, and had planned around that being the case.

That was what we needed 3 years ago, we had very few supposed potential good forwards coming through, other than daniher.

Now the forwardline is pretty much set and our strongest aspect and those 2 players don’t really fit in what is perceived as the best side.

To me, like YB I haven’t seen anything in either of them that says they will become good players let alone great.
If they could be steak knives to get a player we want or need more, then i’d be more than willing to peddle them off.
That wouldn’t even be as a, I don’t rate them. It’s more they are now superfluous to needs and if they could help get us a player we need in an area we need, say the backline or mid, then do it I say.

overrated.

trade a kid thats done nothing at afl and has an injuryt history for someone thats fallen off a cliff since their AA season.

G-string?

Sorry mate
I probably should have explained myself better

I wasn’t questioning their commitment, more so the club just to make them realize just how important they are to the club’s success moving forward

kinda like a this is your chance moment / grab the brass ring / insert cliche haha

1 Like

I know mate this was more having a go at the thought more than you personally, I don’t think that was our intention

1 Like