"I can't believe we didn't take..."

Sam Lloyd....

Well not really, but we set him on his way by getting him to Bendigo towards the end of 2012 and now he ends up on an AFL list via Frankston. Super excited for Sam as a family friend. I also liked the fact his 100 goals for Deni got a mention on the tv coverage. 

Sam Lloyd....

Well not really, but we set him on his way by getting him to Bendigo towards the end of 2012 and now he ends up on an AFL list via Frankston. Super excited for Sam as a family friend. I also liked the fact his 100 goals for Deni got a mention on the tv coverage. 

Who drafted him? Must have missed that one...

26. Merrett
27. Lemmens
28. Taylor
55. Fantasia
56. Sicily
57. Hunt
Prepare yourself for years of "Can't believe we didn't pick Lemmens/Taylor/Sicily/Hunt"
Is that how it works?

Who cares about Sicily. We got a Sicilian in Orazio.

Sam Lloyd....

Richmond with pick 66. Frankston kept their drafting record up without us taking one. 

Sam Lloyd....

Richmond with pick 66. Frankston kept their drafting record up without us taking one. 

I thought we upgraded Dalgelish with that pick? Must have been around that area. Thanks.

Just saw the Dodoro post-draft interview: http://www.essendonfc.com.au/video/2013-11-21/btv-adrian-dodoro-post-draft

Got the impression the draft didn't go as planned - particularly with Zac Merrett being available at #26.  Sounded like they really wanted to pick someone else then but Merrett was too good to pass up.  Expects Merrett to really improve (can't remember the exact word (s)) once he has a full pre-season under his belt.

Likes Fantasia for his genuine speed & endurance.  Said getting more speed into the midfield/list was the focus - mentioned Edwards & Aylett from GWS.

Said he still expect there would be players available in the Rookie draft that could make an immediate impact for us.  The only player that readily springs to mind that is "AFL ready" would be Darren Jolly as a perfect 2014 back up to Ryder/TBC.

Sam Lloyd....

I thought we upgraded Dalgelish with that pick? Must have been around that area. Thanks.

Dalgelish was pick 64

Pick 48

Sam Lloyd....

Dalgelish was pick 64

My bad, all these numbers have confused me :lol:

Few clubs must’ve passed etc

Not really fussed by guys we missed. Would’ve looked at Apeness but gone before our 1st, would’ve looked at Brown but not good enough for our 1st & gone by our 2nd - like Dayle Garlett

Not too many tall forwards taken overall, couple of big backs went though.

Go Baulderstone/similar in rookies and try find a state league forward and ill be pretty happy

CYRIL

...a ruck that I'd never seen mentioned with our first pick.

Pleasantly surprised with our picks, actually.

We should have gone with Taylor. I think their is a 5% chance that we told Merrett we were taking him and never expected Taylor to drop to us. So we stuck with our word.

The other theory is we were scared from taking Taylor because of his history with a stress fracture. I get that, but Taylor is said to have elite speed, compared to Brent Harvey, but he also has elite endurance. Those are two areas the team needs to improve at again this season, we need to be quicker across the ground and to be able to run out games and quarters strong.

That's no way to conduct yourself on Blitz. You must be new.
Repeat after me: sack Dodoro.

That's no way to conduct yourself on Blitz. You must be new.
Repeat after me: sack Dodoro.

JBOMBER outraged that we didn't take any talls.

We should have gone with Taylor. I think their is a 5% chance that we told Merrett we were taking him and never expected Taylor to drop to us. So we stuck with our word.
The other theory is we were scared from taking Taylor because of his history with a stress fracture. I get that, but Taylor is said to have elite speed, compared to Brent Harvey, but he also has elite endurance. Those are two areas the team needs to improve at again this season, we need to be quicker across the ground and to be able to run out games and quarters strong.

Taylor is also a midget and when you are his size it doesn't matter about your other attributes.
In this day and age when it comes to drafting, even if you are as good as Taylor is, if you don't have much height about you, you are highly likely to slide.
Midfielders are supposed to have a bit of height about them these days as everyone is bigger and stronger and football is a completely different game from when players like Brent Harvey were drafted.
It is all about having the strongest big bodies in the middle to win the ball and then be able to rotate forward when required.
Watson is the best example of this.

After committing to Colyer for two years, we weren’t in a position to take Taylor. Stoked with Zac.

Taylor is also a midget and when you are his size it doesn't matter about your other attributes.
In this day and age when it comes to drafting, even if you are as good as Taylor is, if you don't have much height about you, you are highly likely to slide.
Midfielders are supposed to have a bit of height about them these days as everyone is bigger and stronger and football is a completely different game from when players like Brent Harvey were drafted.
It is all about having the strongest big bodies in the middle to win the ball and then be able to rotate forward when required.
Watson is the best example of this.

There's that little bloke who plays for Norf, still one of their best players

Can't recall his name, pretty old, height doesn't seem to worry him.

Great posting btw, keep it up. Really adding a lot.

After committing to Colyer for two years, we weren't in a position to take Taylor. Stoked with Zac.

Yep, clearly we weren't ever going to look at a tiny little bloke.... 

Want 2 of

Willie/Wilson/Hourigan/BIGFARKENRUCK