#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

id rather take a risk with someone in the PSd…surley he doesnt hang on…

2 Likes

The only reason he will be staying on the list next season is purely for the fact of his last name.

Hopefully Jake can prove the majority of us wrong though and really kick on because it is simply now or never for him.

3 Likes

His last name means nothing now. He is his own man and his own player and should and will be treated as such

3 Likes

There would be nothing for blitz to agonize about all summer if we delisted Long …

anyone willing to give me odds of him playing a game in the firsts next year…has to be at least 50"s

Depends on injures and his pre season

2 Likes

Considering he was getting call ups when Raz got injured this year and we’ve also cut Jerrett & Colyer, the latter of who played plenty.

Then I would think he should see game time as required to be called upon as we have very very pacy little outside mid type depth.

I’m probably only one of a few in here who thought he was quite good in that Pies game he came in for Raz for. Only got caught out at times in the speed of the game, big jump up from VFL intensity, but that comes with experience.

He basically doubled Colyer’s output that day. Hence in the end Colyer has been sent packing, and likely would have been been on triple the $$ Long is.

6 Likes

We have got zero outside mid and small forward depth. Unless we draft in a couple of ready made types he’s first in line depth unfortunately

1 Like

back… in the twos? Got a log jam in the backs, it’s wing or nothing for him. Colyer gone possibly gives him some breathing space, although ou’d be leaning towards packing him off.

I’m not surprised we keep him, he’d be well liked off field and wasn’t dreadful when in the seniors and we have little depth on the HFF/wing.

I’d prefer to give Marlion Pickett a spot but doubt we would pick him up.

I’m very surprised. I get to a few VFL games each year and wonder how he got selected for the VFL team.

3 Likes

Ouch!

He will be superb in the whipping boy role next year, given how good our list is now.

8 Likes

Thought he showed signs against the Pies this yr.

1 Like

Harsh but not unfair. There are several VFL players better suited to senior level. I’d have Hind, Lazario and McQueen before I picked Long and that’s just in the Essendon VFL list.

Unless he’s a late bloomer you need to be doing better than showing signs by now. Not everyone can be good enough to be a consistently good AFL player. A good play here and there every now and then is what we as fans tend to hang on to with these players on the fringe. But that isn’t enough.

2 Likes

I guess with Colyer and Jerrett gone,who else in the 2s can rely on for depth in that position.

Possibly Ridley as a tall rangy wingman? Even Redman?

You are right though.

If everything goes to plan, he shouldn’t be getting anywhere near the whip.

1 Like

Don’t forget the Zerk.

1 Like

Hang on, what if his plan is to improve to the point that he earns a spot?

4 Likes