#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Some people might think it go on for too long but others not long enough.

I don’t think many people believe that.

He has the lowest scope on our list to make it as an AFL player. He should be delisted.

What does “lowest scope” mean. I don’t agree though. There’s a few who have things that they need to improve. His aren’t any less likely than a few others.

Yeah, I don’t agree

He’s still too light. He still switches off or loses concentration and gets lost. He’s evasive but not particularly quick. He’s a poor tackler. He’s nothing flash overhead. He’s no good in a ground ball contest.

He is a very nice kick but there’s too many crosses and not enough ticks as a guy who’s now heading into his 5th year!!!

1 Like

His decision making is not quick enough for the AFL. I think it was the Collingwood game where he was a late in for Raz, he got enough of it but was done holding the ball 3-4 times. He’s a smooth mover, he looks like a classy player at times because of that, but 4 seasons in I’ve seen little that makes me think he will make it. We would’ve seen something by now to suggest he would…

1 Like

What I mean is that Leuenberger, Dea etc have already proved they are AFL level footballers.

On our main list I think Jake Long is the least likely to prove himself to be an AFL level player. That includes Houlahan and Clarke.

How Jake Long is on our list is a mystery (but not really). If we thought we were pushing for September next year and needed small fwd depth then Merrett would have been a better option (that is not endorsing Jerrett should be on the list, rather, it is stating Long should not).

See I think that while he has failed to dominate at VFL level, when selected in the seniors he has always played his role, particularly when it comes to moving to ball out of half back and getting it into a dangerous position going forward.

6 Likes

for a career total of 5 AFL games. Clearly not playing his role well enough to keep his spot.

He’s played in the VFL his whole career, of course he hasn’t gotten the pace of the AFL.

It generally takes a few weeks for anyone to get a feel of it.
I think it’s a positive that he doesn’t panic and rush his disposal.

Maybe, but there’s a difference between not panicking with the ball and taking too long to make a decision. It’s not like he’s been dominating the VFL and proving he’s too good for that standard.

A few of those HTB calls were pretty unlucky for him IMO. Grundy one should have been in the back. And the one late he was given the footy with someone up his clacker.

TIPPA also got done HTB in one he should have had better awareness of the situation. It happens.

As others mentioned it’s a big step up and we weren’t talking an easy game against a lesser club it was on like donkey Kong vs pies.

Langford was derided for being too slow with his decision making & being caught also but eventually he got it together.

There were a number of other times in that Pies game for Long he showed not only quick decision making but also clean disposal whilst under pressure. And he was seemingly moving into good parts of ground often to be involved in the play.

Will he ever be a best 22 player? Unlikely. But could be reliable depth to play a role as required.

9 Likes

Agreed.
From the half dozen or so VFL games I saw of him this season I thought he’d eliminated the HTB problem from his game that was sure to happen at least once or twice a game in previous years.

1 Like

Just like Redman and Ridley and Francis and Begley showed when they came into the side.

Wait.
No.
That didn’t happen.

2 Likes

The two games I watched him in the VFL he spent half his time laying sloppy half tackles and the other half drifting into no-man’s land and watching the ball go over his head.
He doesn’t have it.

Would like someone new brought in for his Rookie spot. Seen the best of him and I don’t see him playing AFL.

1 Like

Looks a bit timid to me. Needs to rip in more.

Long is a bit lazy, a bit disinterested, and not terribly engaged.

He’s also not an AFL standard as a footballer was far as I am concerned.

7 Likes

Well Hurley and Myers are two who have looked completely hopeless first game back in the side and they have way more experience than long.

Myers is fine if he comes in after playing VFL. IMO. It’s when he comes back with no game time he battles. I suspect Hurley might be the same, but he’s never playing 2s.

1 Like

Thats true.