#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I actually rate his kicking very highly - and I don’t rate anything else about him whatsoever.

1 Like

So it would be high rating in any terms relative to the fact he can’t do anything else.
That’s that settled then.

Harry Potter and the wizards sleeve

I think he’s one of the better 3 or 4 kicks we’ve got.
We’ll never really know, because he doesn’t work hard enough to use it enough in the VFL, let alone AFL.

Wouldn’t cost much and is your replacement winger/forward if need be. Knows the structure and same plan and valuable in the twos.

That’s the benefits I guess

His dad was pretty slack early on, but sheedy gave him a billion chances.
Who’d know. He’s probably got photos of jackets doing someone else’s ironing.

What is the point of all this? Kids arrogant, leave his sister alone?

1 Like

From smallish samples of what I have seen.

At vfl level he is a handy player but no where near dominates. Looks not even close to afl standard.

At afl level though he has looked handier then I thought he would be. Nothing special but has actually had some reasonable games where he has played his role.

But I am still very surprised we are keeping him.

1 Like
  • He got consistent positive comments from the coaches each time he played.
  • He plays a role we have drastically cut our depth in.
  • He is skilful, just isn’t putting it all together, so there’s a realistic but small chance it might click for him.
  • We have no picks this year worth a damn, so he’s competing against pick ~147.
  • A one year contract gives us more flexibility for 2019 draft.

That’s about all I can think of. Was expecting him to be delisted, but those are the reasons to keep him.

7 Likes

He is eminently replaceable!

Agreed. But clearly the club thinks differently.

I reckon he’s not gonna make it, but I also didn’t think that Langford was gonna make it, so what the hell would I know

2 Likes

The club continually gives contract extensions for average players. They did it with Kav, then Jerrett, now Long. 5 years for what, 5 games? Did anyone here actually think Jerrett had a chance to make it when he survived this time last year?

We are too soft and sentimental. There are 20 state league players with more talent and upside than Longy who play in his position.

Long
Hind
Fletcher
Neagle
Sheridan

Pick two. Maybe even pick one.

2 Likes

I would happily pick none.

2 Likes

Well, it’s a thought.
There may well be a better genuine junior out there at pick #102.

This is probably right.
But, IMO, there are plenty of guys out there who have been overlooked (Guelfi, for example), who, if they had the opportunity and had the coaching and training and development poured into them, like we have done for Long, Jackson Merrett, and others in the past, might just make pretty good AFL players. Bags is another example.
Pick 147 or a rookie selection are worth a look, in preference to a known commodity, where what is known is that he isn’t going to amount to much.

5 Likes

Not sure if Kyle has really made it yet. Kyle had an excellent year this year. For sure. Happy for him. But he needs to back it up and do the same in 2019 and the years ahead to have a successful career. Players can drift.

As for this Long being re-signed… nah. Hard to get enthusiastic about that. He has to improve a helluva lot to break into our best 22. But I’m not the coach and list manager.

5 Likes

Agree. Judging potential is a funny thing though. Ess seem to keep players for years too long waiting for that potential to blossom, but it’s also very difficult for us to judge a players potential without seeing them train day after day etc.

I’m with you that I would have got rid of him, and don’t like the call, but I also don’t know ■■■■.

3 Likes

Maybe a slight overreaction. Most clubs have these list cloggers sitting there. We don’t have many picks nor are they particularly high, so bringing in an unknown who has to learn the team and processes verses a guy who already slots in there is not really going to improve us in any meaningful way.

I also didn’t want him kept and don’t agree with the decision but keeping him or replacing him isn’t going to break the bank in any way based on what picks we have this year.

1 Like