#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I’ve stated many times that I don’t agree with Long getting another year. But looking at a different point of view…he’s been ok when he has played seniors. You could argue he has made the step up given he has brought his serviceable VFL form up into AFL level with the same level of performance…it’s not the worst scenario. At least he plays in a manner that is team oriented - he applies pressure, he tackles, he has some speed, he can hit a target and he does what the coaches ask, e.g. taking the game on (but sometimes too much).

In my opinion, it’s very realistic that Long will get some games with Colyer gone. Colyer is a better player for sure, but at least we’ll have a player who can pick up the ball cleanly and hit a target.

2 Likes

ONYA JAKE ! KEEP ON KEEPING ON !

5 Likes

I’ve come to terms with it, how can you not? Give him a serious run at it, get him out of the 2’s and on the big stage. Let him get up to the speed.

He is still on the list for a reason

I just have no idea what the reason may be

3 Likes

Colyer stays, Long goes. But we had to move Colyer on, so Long got another year.

3 Likes

With Colyer, Green & Jerrett all goneski, I’m cool with Longy getting one more year.

Not expecting much but hey, good luck to the lad.

Pretty much.

If given the choice between those 4, I’d take Long

None of them likely to make it, but longy is the youngest with the biggest rfi, and the Longy/Tiwi factor

2 Likes

I’m glad he stays. I reckon he has been a scapegoat at times.

Hasn’t had the opportunities of others and I reckon there is a role for him if he gets a sustained run at it.

Well and truly the last roll of the dice and odds would suggest he won’t make it but he is far better than people think.

3 Likes

That game was probably my favourite one in the saga year.

1 Like

I remember my 4yo saying near the end, after a year of habitual defeats, “dad, are we going to win?” and I got to say “yes, yes, we are going to win” and know it was true. It was a top feeling.

4 Likes

Just watched the replay of the second Collingwood game this year. Except for two crucial mistakes (which cost us two goals) I thought Long surprisingly good.
I am sure the coaches worked with him to eliminate this weakness after the game and he will be a better player going forward.
I dont think we can be too critical of him when considering he has played four AFL games.

5 Likes

He’s actually played 5 though, so I think we should hammer him!

Unless you’re not counting that Carlton game in 2016, which is probably fair enough.

3 Likes

He was unjustly criticised for those mistakes. He was pinged for holding the ball but he had no options ahead and was trying to buy time for options to present themselves rather than kicking it directly to 3 pies players who’d set up a wall.

2 Likes

Hope he gets a couple of chances this year. Wouldn’t mind seeing him rotate between the wing and HF (with someone like Zaka)

1 Like

Times have massively changed since those days Ben!

1 Like

Evidently not

Well Jake has another year, so I hope he can make something of it. Fingers crossed he finally finds his feet, and we get another reliable senior player.

8 Likes

Can Heather Mills help with this?

5 Likes

l hope he earns a couple of chances.

10 Likes