#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Do you want the Long answer?

3 Likes

Nah, she’ll be jake

How about allowing him to be his own person rather than continuing to compare him to his father, uncles and whoever else?

2 Likes

I know it’s not his fault, but do you think he would he even be at the club if it wasn’t for his father, uncles or whoever else?

1 Like

Well would you even be here if it wasn’t for your father, uncles or whoever else?

4 Likes

Might not have been drafted when he did as was a fair way off in his development but his family name not reason he still at the club now

Dodoro openly indicated they happy with his progress and expect he will play more senior games next year

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s why he’s been kept on. Coaches must think he can fill a need - presumably as a back up.

He certainly has some great tools, if he can put it together and have a decent crack he is still a chance to be a very good player. The only real question I have is is his endurance an issue?

I cannot answer that because I do not know. But; having said I don’t know, he has got some tricks about him, he is a confidence player and has a good lineage. I believe Jake is a slow maturer because his space has always been over shadowed, filled by other people wanting him to be this way or that just like so and so. Not easy for him, living in the shadow of his kin, he is his own man, he will flourish in his own time and; just maybe - it will be this year? I hope so.

3 Likes

the hair apparent…

14 Likes

its got to be this year! its going to be a very hard sell to supporters if he doesent take a significant step forward next year. we cut alot of players this year who have showed alot more than him.

1 Like

I saw a few VFL matches early in the season last year, and at that time I thought Long had taken a big step. Seemed more involved, and when he does get it he is a good user. But I think he went backwards in the second half of the year.

I agree that there may be an AFL footballer there. But the reality is that right now, he’s performing behind a lot of VFL listed guys. I’d say he’s a very long shot, and I’m not sure if he really has more upside than a top level performing VFL player like Pickett or Grigg.

I didn’t watch any VFL so can’t judge on that but coaches had said he had been doing what they wanted for latter half of 2017 and obviously in mix 2018.

Many seem to think he just doesn’t stand out at VFL level.

But when he did come into AFL, he did very well IMO. I was genuinely surprised in that rd17 pies game. Got caught a couple of times in a very hotly contested game but that’s not entirely unexpected in first AFL game in a few years.

Not sure comparing him to Grigg relevant. And Pickett seemingly has other reasons not picked up as they both didn’t.

I still don’t see Long as ever being a permanent senior player, but still a place for reliable depth. We didn’t have much outside depth and have not only retained him but picked up a few more who will take some time themselves.

1 Like

Locks [quote=“Bomb_Doe, post:2319, topic:2082, full:true”]
the hair apparent…
[/quote]

Locks to be admired I dare say.

I was just using Grigg and Pickett as examples of mature aged players at State level who are performing at significantly higher levels than Long (by reports). I could have added Schloithe or others, the point was whether or not Long has realistically more chance of making it that a high performing state player.

I think the first final (I may be getting finals mixed up) really summed up Long. He was absolutely dominant in the first quarter, with incisive kicks into the F50 and I think he was involved in the build up play to a good chunk of our goals that quarter (4-5 involvements). Was hugely important.

And then went totally missing for the remaining three quarters. In a nutshell, it showed why he could be a good player at higher level, but also why he’s (IMO) still a way from achieving that.

3 Likes

Of course Grigg and Pickett are both significantly older than Long. at Long’s age Grigg was preparing to be delisted by Adelaide.

They are also significantly better and would have played more games than Long will.

2 Likes

Where would Grigg get a game for us next year?

VFL only

Normally I’d dread that comment.

2 Likes