#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

3rd week.

But they had an open spot and had to decide now. Highly unlikely he’d get a game, but they had to choose between Long and Draper.

My assessment on his chances of being retained just went up by 10% on the back of this, but moreso due to what Kerr had to say about him in the article.

To be fair, he has always been a 4 year burn player. He missed most of his last 2 years of junior footy. I saw him at the u/16 carnival years back and he carved them up, at that point he was a top 20 pick. He is touch and go for next year, but I wouldnt be shocked if they still consider him worth persisting with.

9 Likes

Why are people nuts? I don’t think anyone is suggesting he’ll play. It just seems a strange decision and as BSD said it probably shows a bit better chance of being retained than most of us think.
Fwiw, I’ve been expecting for months that he’d be delisted. This maybe indicates there is a slight hope for him

We have to keep him. Can’t think of anything much worse than watching him star for Horethorn/anyone else in 5 years time!!!

I don’t rate Long in the slightest, but if you’d rather have play Ben Howlett fill in for Green/Raz’s spots then you can line up.

Horses for courses and all that, he’s average, but he’s an average quick forward pocket, and we currently have 2 of the other 5 out.

1 Like

Agree. JFTR, that 10% increase was on top of this from a few days back …

And as Kerr mentioned he did very well against Footscray.

I remember commenting on the back of the DJR call, that he was getting plenty of it, & it seemed he was doing all you’d want from him bar finishing, … and if they see the same thing, then they may well think 1 more year sees him improve that facet, and then with that sorted, being ready to make the jump to senior level.

1 Like

He actually has good disposal when he doesn’t rush it.

I usually get to 1 VFL game a year and rarely watch any footage so I’m no judge.
As I said earlier, I expect him to get delisted, but simply on type, I wouldn’t be against him getting another year if they see him improving more

Yeah I reckon that’s it. I assume we are under the minimum salary cap spend. Probably due to some of the experienced players (Stanton, Hocking, Howlwtt etc) not playing many senior games this year.

So yeah a few extra $$$ in the bank account for Jake.

1 Like

I hope so.
He has the talent. I thought he has showed far more promise in his limited AFL matches than he has most of his VFL career.

I thought he would end up being our Dempsey replacement. Has the poise, pace, agility, time, height a disposal to do it.

1 Like

If we have the space and it doesn’t compromise too much, I’d give him one more year. With a solid year of VFL watching, I’d roll the dice for one more year.

4 Likes

With Stanton, Watson, Kelly and likely at least some of Jerrett, Hocking and Howlett on the way out, and our lack of depth of running players, I think he is a chance to stay.

If players like Morgan show promise as a mid through the VFL finals that could play out badly for him.

Very poor timing with the suspension unless we can get to a VFL Prelim and maybe a GF and he does well.

I would be doing some intensive skills training if I was him and be hoping for some VFL finals.

2 Likes

I see the elevation as, essendon expecting to reach the prelim stage, and if injury to tippa/ fanta/bbb then he may be required

3 Likes

I’m surprised they didn’t play him against GC.

I’m not.
He’s not that good.

1 Like

Couldn’t imagine Longy playing AFL this season.

1 Like

Rate him. Hope this is a sign that he’ll get a new contract.

2 Likes

We are going to be losing a lot of players at the end of this year, you can only draft so many kids and it’s not like we are planning on bringing in 3-4 blokes in the trade period, when if we do it means giving up draft picks. He might stay by default and I hope he does

I reckon Long’s one of those rare big occasion players you see from time to time: average in the Magoos, but really fires in the big league. His problem is, unlike some others, he hasn’t been able to persuade the selectors to give him a decent run in the Ones.

He’ll be there next year, so keep your fingers crossed he comes good. We need players of his sort.

3 Likes