#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Needs to go away and dominate the SANF or WAFL. A new environment and playing system could be exactly what he needs.

He has the tools, just needs to apply himself.

Then force the AFL clubs to give him another shot.

I’d argue he has some of the tools.
The ability to concentrate is a tool in itself. I don’t know if it’s something that’s going to come, if it hasn’t already in 4 years of AFL coaching and development.

Maybe a guy who nobody wanted before the third round of the rookie draft is not actually all that great after all.

3 Likes

He was good at times on the weekend but I just don’t see a senior AFL player in him even after four years in the system.

If you can’t perform consistently in the VFL after 4 years on a list, you aren’t going to make it

Does a few nice things, but goes completely missing for long stretches

1 Like

Often wondered, is Jake playing because he is a Long and its a tradition? Or, is he playing because he wants to play??? A lot of the time he doesn’t seem to be hungry for the contest. Or has he just got a laconic nature?

Lacks a bit of ticker.

But it’s not that he’s purely soft - when he steels himself for it he goes in damned hard.

But other times he puts in half tackles and skirts packs.

It’s concentration, or something. All mental.

2 Likes

Yep just lacking intensity wise

In today’s game of rabid pressure/tackling you don’t survive if just barely getting out of 2nd gear most of time

played 2 very good games in the last 2 weeks. Doubt he has wasted a possession. His marking under pressure was highlight. Has showed he can hold his own when at senior level.
His best is coming after being a fair bit behind when he came to the AFL system.
Those wanting off the list are going to be disappointed, he will be there next year. Hoping to see him get more game time.

4 Likes

Um, no.
Made a few nice cameos in the last two weeks.
Rest of the time he has been MIA as per usual.

you have your opinion and I have mine. I was impressed with the way he went about it in the last 2 weeks. I see a player there, and I am pretty sure he will be on the list next year.

1 Like

Definitely a delist. Seems like a good hard working kid, but others are so far ahead of him.

I guess the question we that we need answered is “what role is he being asked to play”, and how is the “missing” bit going for that. Would genuinely like to know if they’re asking him to do something specific like they have with all of the young players for extended periods, and how it is perceived that he’s doing with what’s being asked

(Especially before we accuse anyone of lacking ticker)

2 Likes

Against the pies he was playing on the wing

And…
We need a fair bit more than that, especially given I have my doubts as to whether traditional positions are even a thing inside AFL clubs any more.

Laconic?

Agains Pies he had 11 kicks, 4 handballs, 4 hand ball receives, 6 tackles, 5 marks, 2 frees, 1 free against.
I remember he got 1 free for holding the ball.

15 Disposals…9 of which were given to him…so in his role, he is a bit reliant in his team giving him the ball which is why he can go missing. Also if we choose to play through the corridor over playing the wings would be detrimental.

He was rated 6th Best against richmond, i havent watched replay of that game yet.
1 Ridley
2 Heppell
3 Stewart
4 Mutch
5 Hartley
6 Long

1 Like

Surely he had 2 frees against v Collingwood…2 HTB’s.

Thanks, but not quite what I was asking.

I guess the example is that all year we’ve had many questions about VFL development for Langford and Francis and Laverde and Stewart and others, and at some point later it’s been acknowledged that there were specific, clear development goals that had been set for these players.

What we don’t know with Long is what those goals are for him to try and grow him into a better, more rounded, AFL ready footballer. Without knowing those (which it’s fair enough that we wouldn’t know), then it’s more difficult to judge whether (a) the player is developing, and (b) whether the club is happy with his development trajectory.

He definitely had a few VFL games earlier in the year where he touched it more, and I at least thought “YES, he can make it!”. But the games I’ve seen in the second half of the year have been him at his most inconsistent, or generally going missing. I think the finals have summed it up. Was dominant and pivotal in the first quarter against Collingwood, then went missing. And against Richmond had some important touches throughout the day but just wasn’t present enough across the game.

1 Like