#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I like Ted Jr’s response to that.
‘Who was?’

1 Like

The club puts plenty of resources behind those who need it.

1. Too lazy
  2. Too injured
  3. Not enough substance to his game. At least as displayed so far.

You would be hard put to pin their shortcomings, physical limitations, on not coping with their parentage.
Not saying it doesn’t happen, of course it does, but these examples have other things holding/held them back.
I would say if Jake doesn’t cope with being Michael’s son that’s unfortunate, but it’s not responsible for his short comings as a player.

To finish with a common saying - If you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.

1 Like

That’s pretty naive

What is?

First bit - true

Second bit - true

Third bit - true

Fourth bit - common saying.

Pretty much all of what you just said.

In 2018, clubs have a obligation to monitor the mental health of all their players and provide support accordingly.

3 Likes

Righto then.

I personally witnessed Jake whilstling whilst waltzing away from a big 3/4 time speech from Dan Jordan to try and get the boys over the line against the Pies earlier in the yr.

Thats a problem.
Like,who does that lol!

There probably isn’t much middle ground becuase the busts got drafted becuase of the name.

Which probably isn’t the argument benfti wants to hear.

There are plenty of kids with names who don’t get drafted.

The list of eligible father sons who didn’t get drafted whilst still playing footy at state league, TAC level is significant

1 Like

So what is naive in what I said?

Might need some time in the sauna

I think you’re underestimating the effect that the added pressure of being a father son has on mental state while dismissing clubs obligations to assist with finding a balance.

Aaron Fancis before and after should be the blue print of how you help players cope with external pressures and the benefit on field that hard work from all parties yields.

4 Likes

Tbh the “common saying” is kind of rubbish which we should all recognise given everything that’s gone on. There will be times when even the best can struggle with the weight of expectations, either their own, or external due to their draft number, or their last name. It is critical that the club helps manage that for everyone if we’re going to get the best out of the players available on our list.

2 Likes

100% mental health optimisation should be treated as any other part of the human body, you wouldn’t let a player run out every week with a torn hammy.

2 Likes

Please explain to us if you know what monitoring our club does for our players and staff at the EFC?

Or, do they wait for someone to waltz up to them and say I am mentally unwell today. We as a club, ought to have the best program going around, after what our players and staff went through from the supplements saga.

Geelong are interesting on this:

Two sons of a god of their club.

One pretty much went further than the father, the other walked away.
One was driven to succeed, the other decided the pressure and work load were not to his passion and moved away from professional levels.

Did the club help both? Was it the pressure? Or is the personality part of the setup? Did one have more skill than the other?

There are many factors that make up the reason why a son may not be able to follow the father. Some prove to better than their father.

Narrowing it down to the club or not the club is a little trite.

3 Likes

No I’m not, and yes it should be.
And hopefully it will be.

But I’m still waiting for an explanation about “Pretty much all of what you just said” being naive.

It wasn’t.
I think you are clutching at straws and going windmill tilting again.

2 Likes

Yes it is.

I will admit to a certain amount of benefit baiting in that.

2 Likes

Ben discussion of an indigenous player:

1. They’re awesome, game-changing, elite, top 20 in their draft year, get them in.

2. Poor bugger never had a chance with all the pressure they got heaped on them unfairly.

Rinse and repeat.

2 Likes

A lot has changed in this space in the last 10 years IT, our experiences has been the catalyst to a change in the AFLPA employer expectations.