#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

who are these Nuffies calling for Jake to be delisted.

I Cant imagine jerret doing a better job.

Green could have been an option if we thought fantasia under pump but meh.

He did an ok job to come in late under the circumstances.

And he showed a bit of potential for the future imo.

3 Likes

Agreed. Jerrett is in exactly the same boat. Four no brainer delisted are Long, Jerrett, Leuenberger & McNeice. Others on expiring contracts include Baguley, Goddard, McKernan, Langford, Laverde, Dea, Brown, Green & Stewart (at this stage). The robust discussion I had in another thread a few days ago was that we need to make some hard calls on a few of those players. Will we do it?

For such an important game, was it really a good idea bringing in a guy who hasn’t played a senior game since 2016?

Wasn’t our worst today, but I didn’t see anything that tells me it’s worth persevering with.

3 Likes

Played way better than i thought he would.

Got enough of it and used it well enough to persist with for a few weeks.

The main concern is strength in the contest, not sure how long you give him to fix that, if it can even be fixed.

His stuff ups are too costly. He’s like a Sidebottom in terms of slow but doesn’t have the awareness or skill.

1 Like

Most of his clangers are from frees against. As much as ben reckons he’s “tough”, it’s the old Tom Hislop style of “tough” - gets lead to the ball a lot, and runs into someone.

I think if he had a real step of pace, or a real tank, or real smarts, he might make it - he’s got a couple of tools. I just don’t think he’s got enough.

2 Likes

Thought he was decent. A few time he bit off more than he could chew, but he took the game on.

Looks like a midfielder though, looked a bit lost up forward.

Won a really good 50/50 contest when it looked like pies were going to breakaway.

He stays in for the next month. See if he has got what it takes once and for all

3 Likes

He was ok. Hasn’t played football at this level for 2 years, a serious pressure cooker game what do people expect?

1 Like

I don’t either, but he wasn’t our worst today. Did enough to deserve another look. We need to have a look, and make a decision before the delisting season begins.

I’m afraid I thought he was very poor. The ball came to him a few times but he did little with it. He was twice caught in possession due to indecision, which has been a problem for him since the beginning. Did two good things, one of which ended in a goal.

Should not have been in the team and should never be again. Sorry to be harsh but that’s how it is.

Pretty much
He was better than I expected… but that’s not saying much.

1 Like

You’d think after the Way Francis was treated last year, that people would have learned a few lessons.

Nup. Rinse and repeat.
Typical supporter vitiol for a guy that’s played under 10 games.

5 Likes

Not only is he stepping up from VFL he is stepping up against a very quick and good defensive team. He would need 3 or 4 AFL games before we would know if he is worth keeping, but he may not get that as there are few younger mids who deserve a chance too.

1 Like

Thanks for that Michael.

I haven’t looked at stats, but I was at the ground and thought he had a poor game. There were one or two moments I thought were redeeming, but overall, I wasn’t happy with how he played. However - he is still raw at this level, and I hope he is given another 2 or 3 games to settle in, be guided and encouraged along the way, and is given every chance possible to prove his worth in the 1’s.

1 Like

Decent game, far from the worst. 2 bad moments caught unaware. One can happen to anyone. The second one was stiff to be called I reckon. Did quite a lot of good things, actually looked more influential than The little I’ve seen in the vfl.

One moment early in game where he could have run to pressure a player collecting the ball and didn’t. But may have busted a valve on a prev run. I saw that happen to Mcgrath a couple times too.

1 Like

F the stats. Gave away 3 goals. What did we lose by? Begone Jake.

I apologise for the harsh comments I made earlier. Reflecting back on the game he wasn’t as bad as I thought.

Let’s see him get a few games together and see if he can just to the tempo.

5 Likes

But for those two moments he was fine. Surprised at the amount of attention he’s gotten

2 Likes

Both times he looked up and swear to god there was not a single Essendon player ahead of him on the field … This is at HB

And we still give away uncontested marks

Also defence of a kick from pocket to top of square needs to be looked at we give away so many like this

1 Like