#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Let’s compare Jake to say a Redman who had shown absolutely nothing at AFL level until this year…
Redman came in and was aggressive and unrelenting and we were disappointed when he went down with injury.

What about Clarke - showed absolutely nothing in the AFL but wasn’t given a solid run.

Ridley - showed heaps, went down.

Jake Long showed more than Clarke today, less than Redman and Ridley who play easier roles in the backline…

2 Likes

No.

I never said he did, I was just pointing out how many years he has been around.

He has always been on a much longer development curve given how much of his last 2 years of junior footy he missed.

The club has always seen now as when they were hoping he’d be pushing for senior selection.

I’d compare him in development to Courtney Dempsey.

The same build, the same height.
Dempsey had much better speed. Jake has much better disposal and clean hands.

It took Dempsey years to get a feel for it, especially with all his injuries.

1 Like

Rank these players: Colyer, Jerrett, Long, Hind.

What is he being judged on? His game today, or his tenure at the club? He’s been disappointing over the journey, but he doesn’t deserve the sht he’s copping today. Not perfect, but a lot of positives today.

5 Likes

Thought he had a really good first half. Faded a bit un the second.

Amazed to see the crap he is copping here.

Yes he got caught a couple of times but the positived far outweighed the negatives.

Far from our worst and I’d have him as one of our better players.

Will only improve at afl level if given time. When he got caught it was easy to see he hasn’t quite adjusted to afl.speed which isn’t unexpected.

Definitely gets a game.next week for me

2 Likes

A couple of glaring mistakes but showed some promising signs as well. Liked seeing him go back with the flight when he had to.

Personally I don’t think he’ll make it at senior level, however I’d definitely play him ahead of Colyer next week (if we’re choosing between the two).

Yes he was caught out a few times by the pace of the game but he was able to get his own ball and do some good things with it. You can’t write him off yet - deserves a few games in a row to show his worth. With the risk of sounding like Woosha he would have learned from today.

He’s fkn garbage. Delist

1 Like

Ok, I will put you down as a maybe

12 Likes

You’re an idiot if you think today’s game proved either of us right.

2 Likes

Scored out of 10 based on what they might produce right now (ignoring age, potential improvement etc) -
Hind 6 - handy player at AFL level, thin but strong, very quick, not a great kick. High possession winner.
Colyer 5 - strong and fast but doesn’t win much ball and prone to fumbles and mistakes. Kicking can be bad to fair. Not a big possession winner.
Long 3 - just not a big ball winner, pace and elusiveness a bit overrated by many, makes mistakes. (Today I thought he was very good to half time, ordinary second half, but better game than almost anything I have seen from his at VFL level)
Jerret 2 - not up to it.

1 Like

I know I’m a idiot

2 Likes

Let’s be honest, if his name wasn’t Long he wouldn’t be playing VFL.
Train wreck.

1 Like

Dempsey was OK at best. This mentality is why we’re ■■■■! If he’s not going to be better thank Dempsey, which he clearly won’t be, he’s shouldn’t be playing! It’s embarrassing

2 Likes

l remember when he was drafted he did a pretty good imitation of a stick insect and was always a long term ‘project’ player. He is only now getting to the stage where he should be contending for senior selection. l was unable to view the first half, so will reserve comment on his performance until later in the week, when l have had a chance to watch him more on the replay.

I feel like Jakes surname is both a blessing and a curse.

3 Likes

Deserves a few games in a row. Like any young player who hasn’t had much exposure to AFL, wasn’t quite up to the pace and heat and he is not going to learn these things playing VFL

As a f/s rookie ■■■■■■■