#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I can’t be the only one who actually thought his game was ok today?! He did some really nice work inside and it was noticeable how much he wanted to block after disposal etc.

Got caught a couple of times with the quicker pace and also lack of options ahead of the ball because of our set up.

I’d give him another run… still plenty of growth I think. Has football smarts…

8 Likes

Nah he was ok, just made a glaring error at a bad time.

Given both Woosha and Hepp made a point of being positive about Jake’s game might say something.

His biggest problem is that a lot of his best creative and defensive work is done in close. Nudges, taps to advantage, unbalancing opposition players, intercepts.
This isn’t visible from the top deck of the southern stand.
And half of Blitz doesn’t know how to watch a game of footy unless it’s a speccy, a goal, or three bounces down the wing.
It does explain why his team mates and coaches actually rate Jake higher than many on here do.

6 Likes

I’m interested in your thoughts on his game style at Junior levels.

Both early on at the VFL level and now at AFL level he appears to bite of way too much trying to run and create.

I suspect this is a trait he has had since a junior.

I’d like to see him more of get and give quick by foot as his disposal is pretty decent.

Good point, colyer then.

He was ok. Opposition pressure was enormous and Long had no support blocking or running for him to pass to.

The team failed him. I’d play him over many of the players in the 22 now.

2 Likes

Probably wouldn’t drop him. But not because he was good… because this is last chance saloon. He gets gifted games right now and if he doesn’t show anything then ■■■■ him off already.

People rating Jake Harsh, i know he has been around a while, maybe we shouldnt have rookied him initially and waited a year and got Tippa instead. But he is now of the age when Tippa was drafted. and he was lucky he got lots of game time in 2016. If he can string some games together he can show something.

I like what he did in close, along with langford and Stringer.

1 Like

Jake had a quiet final quarter but he wasn’t alone on that front. His first 3 were good. He finished with 17, running at 88% with 5 tackles. He well and truly deserves a run of games. Only problem is someone like Parish is about to be recalled so he may be dropped unfairly.

3 Likes
  1. Parish for Guelfi

2. Fantasia for Baguley

3. Long into Baguleys role

QED
1 Like

might say that his game was actually pretty decent for someone with three senior games?

radical thought.

4 Likes

I bet the others at the selection table wouldn’t never consider dropping Heppell. Some of his brain farts cost us too had several yesterday.

1 Like

First game in 2 years in a high pressure cauldron. Not surprised he made a few mistakes. But generally solid. Reckon he could have been stringer at the ball and player a couple of times.

Overall I don’t buy the “he’s been on the list for years” argument. When drafted he’d barely played for two years. He was always a long term option. His first year as a rookie was basically his U 18 year in terms of development. He’s had less than 10 senior games and is still learning. Obviously we wish he was already a gun, but if we still think he can be then he’s definitely worth persisting with.

2 Likes

Great first up game from Jakey Long. 1st half was very impressive. Made a mistake in the last but so did many others. I hope he is given the last 7 games in the seniors.

8 Likes

From the handful of VFL games I’ve seen this year, he seemed to have eliminated the frustrating holding the ball frees from his game that would happen weekly in previous seasons. We saw it happen a few times yesterday but I think he just needs a chance to get up to the speed of AFL footy.

In general, thought he was pretty good in not ideal conditions. Would give him a few more games this season and find out what he’s about.

2 Likes

Heppell got caught with the ball more times than Long yesterday.

Colyer’s was a shocker too.

1 Like

At least when Jake gives hospital hand passes under pressure, he gives them to himself

10 Likes

Was waiting for this to happen as soon as he signed his new contract. I thought goldstein beat him comfortably the week before too.

If we bar him from the inside he’d be fine.

His lack of awareness is what worries me.

I thought most of his little handballs were sublime. Seriously, Of course he might get caught out in the tempo of Senior footy first game back for a “long” time.
Like Connor McKenna , I’m all for a bloke who isn’t afraid to carry the ball. That shows courage and confidence to me. Those handballs tell me he has a good sense of the game and knows what’s going on around him, Tackling efforts were there too, 5 tackles more than OK, up there with Tippa yesterday
This guy has Essendon royalty and pedigree running through his veins.
He needs more games in my opinion

9 Likes