#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I would say from what I’ve seen / heard, that this year he has been getting much more of the pill, at least in the 2nd half of the season, … but for the most part, just not yet being able to finish his work as you’d want.

The guys in the know, may well see him as worth persisting with for just one more year.

I’d reckon it would be a close run thing with him though,… with maybe sentiment just getting him over the line.

1 Like

It was a ripper, albeit a bit crude and late. Happened right in front of me, the bloke was twice Jake’s size and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

That invokes some fond memories

1 Like

That hit on Simonds would get you rubbed out for months now.

3 Likes

His father is probably the finest executor of the old hip n shoulder I’ve ever seen. Great technique and timing. Used to take down blokes twice his size, even early in his career as a slip of a kid.

3 Likes

The side on vision where his hip compresses Simonds head/neck is brutal.

That Simmonds hit was ugly AF. He was lucky to walk after. Long put some great bumps on over his career though, but that was a career low.

5 Likes

Jason Johnson put on one of the best shirtfronts i have ever seen on John Blakey i think it was. Just smashed him in the chest, the perfect shirtfront

6 Likes

That was the 2000 Ansett Cup Grand Final.

IIRC at the time in the actual Granny, Long tried to act like he didn’t know what the fuss was about when he hit Simmonds. Pleaded his case with the umpire. Sort of funny.

1 Like

BAM!

Watched part of the 2000 GF for the first time in a long while a couple of weeks ago. That was a very ordinary hit, and yes I also noticed Long had this 'WTF are you all on about ’ expression straight afterwards.

1 Like

SIt’s the fact that the last 17 years have seen such aggressive contact watered down to near-extinction.

Not long before Longy’s act, Byron Pickett was running around turning 190cm blokes into 180cm blokes - without repercussions.

1 Like

Promoted to senior list. Can still win the Norm Smith

(Just because they had a gap, and the promotion window was closing)

4 Likes

Must be spewing about his suspension now.

If we progress deeper into finals opportunity may come along still.

Clearly we know we lacking in outside mid depth, hence colyer has pretty much had a golden pass this year.

Why the hell are we elevating a bloke who’s facing 3 weeks on the pine?

1 Like

Seems odd. So best case scenario he can play second week of finals if we make it?

I think he’ll also get a small pay bonus for spending a few weeks on the senior list, regardless of if he plays or not.

There’s no way he’s coming into a semi final after 3 weeks on the pine and no senior footy this year, if by some miracle we make it that far.
Token gesture for a kid who’s about to get chopped.

2 Likes

are you people nuts? He’s literally light years off our best 22. if we played him in a final after a year of garbage, well I’d completely lose any faith in any of the coaching staff

2 Likes