#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

ITS TIME

1 Like

Anyone hearing he might be in the seniors this week? Or have I fallen victim to a false rumour?

It wouldn’t be a surprise

If Green is injured, he or Colyer are strong chances.

Not sure myself, but you may have Mr Mark Stevens

1 Like

If the rumours are true and he gets a run then I’m happy for him.

Has worked hard this year and deserves a crack.

In my opinion he has the remainder of the year to earn another contract. He has some really nice AFL atributes so let’s hope he can be one of those players that plays better when in the seniors.

2 Likes

I’d like to see him get a run before the year is done, thought he was very good last week.

I’m sure he’ll play before the year is out. They’ll want to have a look at him before list cull time you would think. Personally I wouldn’t say he was very good last week, but he was better than usual.

If we stay in finals contention and there are limited injuries they mightn’t get a chance for this.
I guess that’s a couple of big ifs though.

You gotta grab your chances when they come, in this caper, because you risk them never coming again.

Watching the VFL replay

Halfway through the second Q. He’s gone in for a one-armed tackle 3 times and been busted through 3 times. He hasn’t been near a contest. Half a dozen times other guys (team mate or opponent) have worked straight past him. Been very safe with ball use on half back but hasn’t created a lot (compared to Francis, Ridley).

Also: draft Younan.

Another one-arm half tackle just on the HT siren. And one about 4 minutes into Q3 (leading to the BH goal)

But boy does he have one long arm.

1 Like

8 minutes in dropped mark (BH defender much bigger) = shot on for them
9 minutes in failed to get body on in a contest = another shot to them
15 minutes in, another one arm & missed tackle

He’s playing like he’s protecting ribs.

And with tackles like that, it’ll keep getting longer.

Alternate gag -

He also has another long arm.

1 Like

Francis yes, Ridley no. Ridley was shown up a bit when asked to play as an accountable defender and didn’t do much damage with ball in hand either. Francis on the other hand was prepared to take some risks and used the ball really well.

1 Like

Long is not a patch on Ridley for ball use. Not even in the same postcode.

1 Like

I caught the last 1.5 quarters live and assumed the raving over Long’s performance was largely damage done early. I went & re-watched the replay, and he didn’t do much early either.

He’s just not showing it. He’s a soft tackler, he doesn’t win contests, he doesn’t seem to intercept much, he gets outrun & outworked a lot, and doesn’t read the contest well either, to get to where the ball’s going. He’s a nice kick, that’s about all.

1 Like

Hate to say it, but I reckon it’s effort-based. I think he has more in him, but doubt that it will come out.

1 Like

I’ve often wondered is Jake doing this because he really wants it?

Or is he playing footy because he is Michael Long’s son and he thinks his Dad wants him to. He often appears to lack the drive, or maybe is he just laconic? I don’t know???