#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Id give him 2~3 more games

His biggest issue was lack of awareness, which can just be needing time to adjust

1 Like

Blitz has a tendency of attacking the easy target. For a guy who hasn’t played at this level for 2 years, he continually ran to the right spots and used the ball pretty well. Didn’t like a couple of his risky short passes and despite the lack of options, getting caught htb late in the game was a really bad moment. Overall, should keep his spot. More experienced player like Colyer and Myers deserve to be in the gun more so than Longy.

10 Likes

Agree he had a pretty good game, also agree with the poster above who said it was simply lack of awareness at afl level that let him down.

1 Like

Pleasantly surprised

Jake is not good enough but wasn’t terrible. Did a couple of good things

I wouldn’t have selected him but I wouldn’t have kept him on the list for the past 20 years either

Spot on, I feel like he is being graded incredibly unfairly by some here.

8th in possessions, 4th in tackles, 3rd in disposal efficacy and 4th in score involvements is a pretty decent output for a guy who hasn’t sniffed the level since the top up year.

14 Likes

Not up to it, I reckon about a dozen clubs would’ve moved him on by now.
Seems to slow to react with ball in hand and can’t keep up with the pace of AFL footy.
Absolutely killed us in the last qtr with his slow reaction to decision making,

The much maligned Jake Long

4 Likes

Imagine he gets 5 weeks to get up to speed…showed enough

Geez you’re pretty harsh on the boy, he only played his second game in what 2 years? I was actually really pleased with his game today, showed plenty and played a lot better than a couple of senior players.

2 Likes

Mate it’s a cut throat industry. I think there’s a reason why his only played a few games in 2 years.
His been at the club for what around 5 years? I just think the time is right to move him on.

Some of his early link up play was really good I thought. Was way more involved than I thought he would be. Offers heaps more than jerret or even green in my opinion. Hope he gets another crack at it.

2 Likes

So right now? Make the call? Give him the phone call.

F*cking ridiculous.

He shouldn’t be competing with Green. He’s a winger, not a forward.

5 Likes

The guy’s been ordinary in the VFL for a while now, a few glimpses here or there ain’t enough to make it.

I just don’t get it, yes he’s been on the list for a few years but he isn’t a spud. This kid hasn’t been given an opportunity anywhere near as much as say jerrtett yet, after one game where he actually played well people think he should be delisted.

How about this for an idea, let’s play the kids for the rest of the year and then make a call. We haven’t done any where near enough in so far as developing enough kids for the last few years. We’ve tried a few this year but now it’s time to plsy Long for the rest of the year, give him an extended run and then see how he goes. You never know he might actually show something. I believe he is a natural winger and would love to see him play out the year.

1 Like

This is his 4th season, same amount of time as Laverde and Langford, came in in their draft year.

5 Likes

Fark me, the reason we lost is the bloke who was brought in at the last minute.

Not any of the senior blokes who yet again let a team kick away because we were still asleep in the first quarter, or don’t have the ability to ice games from behind.

It is an improvement from ANZAC day, but FFS.

5 Likes

That’s not really true. Had a number of high possession very good games in the VFL this year.

But not shown a fraction of the dominance they have at VFL level.

1 Like

Plays every game from here on- the fairytale evolves or ends this year.

1 Like