#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I think it’s more to do with the ■■■■■■ justifications for it.

oh he hasn’t played that many afl games , yeah well neither did many of our younger brigade, who had been in better form than long yes, but his lack of playing afl isn’t solely due to performance, efc is the biggest clique club going around.

oh but possessions … yeah myers and mcneice constantly got more possies, and look how they went when recalled.

He probably will and should be moved on, but the justifications in here if you run with that across the whole friggin club you’ll have very few players actually left :rofl::rofl:

Exactly. McNiece is miles ahead of him.

I hoped like hell that Jake would make it because I love the father/son rule and seeing sons of a former player make it on their own right.

The fact he’s Michael’s son has probably brought him a good extra 2-3 years on the list. If he was just some random picked in the rookie draft, does anyone really think he would still be on the list now?

Jake has had plenty of time to make it. Given all the injuries we’ve had this year and the fact he was still unable to get a senior game his time is over.

If he is not delisted serious question marks need to be asked of the list management team.

4 Likes

At VFL level, Myers averaged 26 disposals and a goal a game in 14 matches. McNiece 17 disposal average in 14 games…

I’d keep him for another year. We don’t have a strong draft position this year, so I would prefer to see if Long cant take the next step than waste a spot on pick 90.

What? You mean miss out on potentially the next Marlion Pickett or Sydney Stack for the sake of keeping a bloke on the list who is never going to make it? ■■■■ me we didn’t take a 2nd pick in the mid-season draft because we wanted to keep Ben ■■■■■■■ McNiece on the senior list, a bloke who has not been offered a contract for 2020. Dumb, dumb list management. If you know someone is not up to it, why keep them?

4 Likes

I’ve read this stated,… and then disputed about a hundred times.

Can someone for the love of God please clear this up definitively once & for all, … or are we just not sure what the fk actually happened still?

From 2.00min mark onwards on McNeice

“He’s playing really good footy, we didn’t want to get him off the list, that’s why we passed”

In fairness McNeice was playing very good VFL footy, we had minimal small defensive cover depth wise and probably thought hadn’t had enough exposure at AFL level to make proper assessment of him.

Baguley looked pretty ordinary in his first 10 games or so also. But he progressed. McNeice didn’t.

The value of hindsight ay’

Even if Pickett’s finger was ok we would have missed out on him as wanted ruck anyway first.

3 Likes

Why is this thread so busy all of a sudden?

2 Likes

and how did they go when they went into the seniors ?

no. of possessions can be irrelevant. for the first half of the year the vfl side weren’t averaging alot of possessions but were belting teams cos of an even spread across the ground.

So most players were averaging high number of possessions,

Wow
Someone please brief me…
Over 120 reply’s, what have I missed?

Some people think he needs more time, or could be valuable depth. Some people… substantially less so.

1 Like

Absolutely nothing…

2 Likes

If you’ve been keeping up with any of the Daniher, Raz or trade threads then you’re pretty well up to date with this one too.

2 Likes

I think it’s been established that Dodoro is talking ■■■■ unless there is some list rule we don’t know about. McNeice’s list position had absolutely zero to do with the mid season draft.

I know. You’d think it would be long gone by now.

Seems an elaborate story to make up on the spot. And I don’t think Dodoro lies. He foxes trade wise but that was pretty direct.

I get what your saying but I assume we promoted McNeice up to primary rookie list (so that we could use him in games)… thus didn’t want to move him back to CatB just to fit another player in.

I can’t recall how many LTI’s/free rookie spots we had at the time.

Edit.

Just looked up the rules.

LTI’s don’t count unless season ending - and then also been placed on inactive list. Perhaps Smith had been which opened up 1 spot but they’d held hopes of JD coming back.

And the list spot we had available at season start was taken by Zlarke at the first MSD.

Deserves a two year deal.

2 Likes

How do you know pick 90
Or whatever our last pick will be a waste?
It could be the next Lovett, Tippa, Snelling, Hibbered. The list goes on and on with late pick gems.

The list also goes on for late pick busts also but even if that pick turns out a bust is it worse than keeping Long? Probably not considering he can’t get near the senior team.

The potential to get the next Stack or Pickett far out ways keeping a bloke on the list who is clearly no where near it

2 Likes

Grammar lessons, for starters.

6 Likes