#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Before the game I thought the nerves might have got the better of him, but nope, looked right at home. Good on him. Really good debut.

Very classy, moved beautifully. I think he might be very good. Let’s hope so.

Looks like a young Michael long out there!

Jake shlong

Funny that …

Racist?

Should have had a goal early. He was legged when he handballed to Grimley on the end of the square.

He may have not reached the goals with his set shot, but at least it was straight.

Reliable

Question for the VFL watchers. Does Jake have the tricks to make a dangerous defensive small forward? Sounds like he has tackling pressure down, but can he hit the scoreboard?

Would give us some flexibility and allow Tippa to move back if he goes missing during the game as has happened in the last few. I’d love to see Tippa and McKenna hitting targets at will and providing mazy runs through the centre.

Jake has served a kind of apprenticeship in the 2s. He played forward at first, and showed he had the agility and the tricks. So , with the ball in hand he always was audacious . But he needed to lift his defensive game and they moved him to the wing, and then half back, to strengthen these areas. During this process he learned about the 1% effort, the little things, the things you need to do when kicking a goal is not an option. During the process , he hardened up a huge amount from the spindly kid and is much stronger than he appears.

Having taken the step up he needs the next 2 games to get a feel for it, and then another pre-season, and well, lets just see how it unfolds.

Good post. I'd add that despite his 'audacity', which you are right to highlight, he is a really team orientated player.
Faster than his dad!

But his dad’s kicks for goal are ever so slightly higher…

“First-gamer Jake Long’s speed and his willingness to chase and tackle would have put a smile on the faces of Bombers fans, as well as his father, Dons legend Michael.”

Congrats Jake made the AFL website’s match report.

Looks a natural footballer anD

HE

SHEPPERDED FOR

A TEAM MATE

I had to double check Hocking hadn’t run out on to the field.

Special kid, can’t wait to see him play more games.

The perfectly weighted, not over kicked, straight and did I say “perfectly weighted” short pass to Daniher on the lead was joy to watch.

At times I see glimpses of his father, and other times I see glimpses of Gavin wanganeen

At times I see glimpses of his father, and other times I see glimpses of Gavin wanganeen

Potent combination there. :slight_smile:

Holy ■■■■ we NEED that photo in high res. That looks fkn siiiiiiiick.

I love how much support has he for from the fans and players etc. Sounded awesomene everytime he got the ball!
Very humble grounded kid.
One of those feel good stories that helps put the past few years of hell behind us and just makes you smile.
I hope he just continues to grow and improve.
Zerret, Heppell, Daniher, Parish, Francis, Fanta, Long and our next top draft pick. The future is starting to look brighter each week

http://www.aflphotos.com.au/images/thumbs/800/2016/08/14/463610.jpg

no pressure

How good was that tackle where he threw that bloke to the ground. There’s nothing of him but he has a go.