#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I wonder if they are still deciding on if they want to promote him to the senior list, depending on who is still available at pick 68, we could have the option of repeating creating a 5th senior list vacancy again this year, which would mean that we could have up to 8 rookies competing for promotion from round 1 2017.

Walla was promoted as a rookie from round 1 and never looked back (albeit in different circumstances), but it may have planted the idea in our list management that this is an option if it isn’t necessary to promote a rookie right now (as in Long’s case), and we may want to see how he looks relative to the rest of the list (ie: returning players and the new rookies) before making the decision whether to upgrade him, with the possibility there are some other prospects that may be senior ready (Hepp A, Nash or other mature rookies). Not a terrible idea as long as we don’t miss out on picking them (which is why pick 68 may also be used for another player to avoid this).

This is a long way of saying, we don’t need to decide now so why bother, given Jake isn’t obviously competing for a best 22 spot at this stage.

We are crying out for run off the HBF. There is a best 22 spot a youngster with pace. My money is on Oirish, but if Long keeps up his pace of development you never know.

We are crying out for run off the HBF. There is a best 22 spot a youngster with pace. My money is on Oirish, but if Long keeps up his pace of development you never know.

Yeah agree, he made some massive steps this year, if he keeps that pace of development he will be best 22 by years end.

he was promoted to the main list before he played for us this year. This contract extension would be for the senior list.

Uhh no

Has he played that position before? How does he go in the air?

So have we worked out if Long is on the senior list or rookie list for next year yet?

So have we worked out if Long is on the senior list or rookie list for next year yet?

It’s not clear, but it is hard to imagine he will be promoted at the expense of pick 41 if we don’t have to.

May well be promoted if there is a LTI though.

Named as a rookie on the AwFl site.

Don’t we have 5 vacancies on the main list and 3 on the rookie list…gives us room to pick a real ruckman.

Don't we have 5 vacancies on the main list and 3 on the rookie list....gives us room to pick a real ruckman.

6 free on the main list now that Smack is gone. Presumably one or two of them will be taken by Green and/or Richards

Don't we have 5 vacancies on the main list and 3 on the rookie list....gives us room to pick a real ruckman.

6 free on the main list now that Smack is gone. Presumably one or two of them will be taken by Green and/or Richards

And on the rookie list we do have 3 vacancies but have promised 1 to Smack and another is there for Eades if he shows the club enough to indicate he really wants it.

So likely picks 1, 20, 29 and 41 for draft picks and pick 1 and maybe pick 19 in the Category A rookie draft, and 3 category B rookies can also be picked.

Rookie

Would there be a reason this player has been demoted to the Rookie List. Are all of our draftees ready made for AFL or do one or two need time - if so why wouldn’t they be rookied and Jake on the main list? Surely he showed enough last season.

Rookie

Would there be a reason this player has been demoted to the Rookie List. Are all of our draftees ready made for AFL or do one or two need time - if so why wouldn’t they be rookied and Jake on the main list? Surely he showed enough last season.

He hasn’t been demoted, he was on the rookie list last year aswell.

All players selected in the national draft are automatically on the main list and usually have 2 year deals.

Rookie

He wasn’t demoted in the tradional sense, and you kind of answer your own question, upgrading Jake would have cost a list spot in a good draft. He still needs more development, may as well let that happen on the rookie list.

Rookie
Would there be a reason this player has been demoted to the Rookie List. Are all of our draftees ready made for AFL or do one or two need time - if so why wouldn't they be rookied and Jake on the main list? Surely he showed enough last season.
Long hasn’t been demoted. If we upgraded Long then we effectively retreat from pick 63 to pick 96 — Clarke doesn’t slide that far, it's a net loss to the team.

Rookie

He wasn’t demoted in the tradional sense, and you kind of answer your own question, upgrading Jake would have cost a list spot in a good draft. He still needs more development, may as well let that happen on the rookie list.

My point is I am disappointed in the his place on the list as I felt he showed enough promise to retain on the main list - yes even after a handful of games. I get Smack & Eades getting rookied as they are getting another chance/backup but Jake was not out of place when he played AFL and I believe he would have improved even more if retained on the main list.

Rookie

My point is I am disappointed in the his place on the list as I felt he showed enough promise to retain on the main list - yes even after a handful of games. I get Smack & Eades getting rookied as they are getting another chance/backup but Jake was not out of place when he played AFL and I believe he would have improved even more if retained on the main list.

Nothing against Jake but with players returning competition will be fierce. There’s only about 10 blokes that are lock for best 22.

Unless injuries hit big time I can’t see him getting more than 3-5 senior games, Perhaps none at all in 2017.

And FWIW I love him.

Give it a few months and the conversation will be redundant.

Correct!

Think you guys may be eating your words, as he will be a regular by mid season.

I hope you’re right, but that’s a big call.

I hope he’s wrong, if Jake is in the team that means that more than a few players will be seriously out of form. He’s going to be a good player but he’s still young and raw, and at this stage wouldn’t be in the top 30 on the list, no need to rush his development