#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Unless injuries hit big time I can't see him getting more than 3-5 senior games, Perhaps none at all in 2017.

And FWIW I love him.

Agree!
Great position for the club to be in but I really hope he gets another chance - thought he had good skills and a great attitude.

Think you guys may be eating your words, as he will be a regular by mid season.

I hope you’re right, but that’s a big call.

I also hope you’re right but I doubt it.

We have 4-6 guys close to the end now and I have no doubt one of those spots are his for the next 10 years.

If Jake was to get into the senior team where would that most likely be.

HBF?
Wing?
HFF?

We have 4-6 guys close to the end now and I have no doubt one of those spots are his for the next 10 years.

Unless Brent Stanton can stay healthy and recover his form of three or four season ago, and the same goes for Brendan Goddard they may find themselves playing VFL. Yep I know that rarely do champs like this get this embarassment, but if you pick teams on form and not reputation then there many be a few of the returning 12 who will be under extreme pressure for a spot in the best 22. And the mantra for many teams in 2017 and onwards will be pace !!

I reckon Jake has got the tools to make it, but I can’t see him playing too many senior games unless we are plagued by injury. He’s still pretty raw.

Unless Brent Stanton can stay healthy and recover his form of three or four season ago, and the same goes for Brendan Goddard they may find themselves playing VFL. Yep I know that rarely do champs like this get this embarassment, but if you pick teams on form and not reputation then there many be a few of the returning 12 who will be under extreme pressure for a spot in the best 22. And the mantra for many teams in 2017 and onwards will be pace !!

What the hell are you talking about re Stanton?

1. Health and fitness has never been a problem for Stanton. He played 22 games in 2015. The last time he played less than 20 games in a season was 2006.

2. His best form was also in 2015. His highest for disposals and tackles and right up there with his best for marks.

In Stanton’s last 10 games he averaged 28 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles and 4 inside 50s. In his last game he had 30 disposals, 3 goals, 8 marks, 4 tackles and 5 inside 50s and 3 Brownlow votes.

Oh and Jake. In his 3 games he has averaged 11 disposals.

Yep, I like Jake and think he not only has the tools but the look of a player who is growing but I doubt he’d be anywhere near first in line if injury struck. And if it doesn’t he’d have to improve remarkably to go past the 90 odd percent of our list currently ahead of him.

Give him another year and things will change. Even half a year maybe. But you don’t upgrade someone because you think they might be a chance at senior time in the back half of the next year.

I agree with Fairybread Mr Bacchusfox about Stanton and Jake. I see you have 12 returning but only 10 returning with Pears and Hibberd gone.

I've never been a big fan of alphabet soup.
If Jake was to get into the senior team where would that most likely be.

HBF?
Wing?
HFF?

</blockquote

I like the idea of him running off the HB line.

What the hell are you talking about re Stanton?

1. Health and fitness has never been a problem for Stanton. He played 22 games in 2015. The last time he played less than 20 games in a season was 2006.

2. His best form was also in 2015. His highest for disposals and tackles and right up there with his best for marks.

In Stanton’s last 10 games he averaged 28 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles and 4 inside 50s. In his last game he had 30 disposals, 3 goals, 8 marks, 4 tackles and 5 inside 50s and 3 Brownlow votes.

Oh and Jake. In his 3 games he has averaged 11 disposals.

Well FairyB, I am not a Stanton basher and have been a fan since day 1. At his best in early 2012, he was elite, but my belief is that he has played many games with injuries that affected his pace and his kicking. He has always been good at getting the ball but often his disposal is poor. And averaging 28 disposals doesn’t mean much if you do not hit targets.

Not good also when tagged, but he is not alone there.

i suppose I just want Jake Long to come along quickly

Give it a few months and the conversation will be redundant.

Can I refer to the abolishment of the rookie list as the jakey clause?

Reckon Jake can make the senior list as another line breaking mid or maybe half back but I don’t think there’s a ready made spot for him to replace the same kind of thing. Unless, we lose someone to trade. If enough spots open up he’s there. He’ll have a more rounded game by the end of next season if he keeps progressing and he’s got a lot of tricks and heart. Seems like you’d promote someone like that when the time and place comes.

Just coz

Jake Long will make it I reckon. Just needs a an extra year or 2 on top of most development players.

Fun fact:, Jake Long and David Myers are the only players on our list with a positive win\loss ratio for the senior team.

Just watching him at training in the running drills and live at VFL matches I still think he is a bit behind where he’d like to be in terms of being aerobically fit.

Is that fair to say benfti and others who know him well and how he is tracking? Or is that way off the mark? Obviously he’s 20 and only had a couple of pre-seasons, I get that. I more mean, relative to other players his age for instance.

If he can really up his endurance base I think we’ll really see a quality player emerge.

Fun fact:, Jake Long and David Myers are the only players on our list with a positive win\\loss ratio for the senior team.

So much fun!