#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

How good is Tippa. Had that one shocker kicking from defense (which some players would never live down. Ever) but wow. Laser boot.

For me, Jake is a mid, and if he makes it anywhere, that’s where it will be.
And I’m confident he will make it.

How good is Tippa. Had that one shocker kicking from defense (which some players would never live down. Ever) but wow. Laser boot.
And I know you're not supposed to mention it on Blitz but, just quietly, how good, and significant, was the Jerrett goal at 5.10.
And I know you're not supposed to mention it on Blitz but, just quietly, how good, and significant, was the Jerrett goal at 5.10.

Yep. And, McKenna. Set shot from 45. Straight through around post height. What the assss?

He was good in a number of ways. Clever player, just needs more of the ball, glad Blitz doesn’t decide who goes and who stays

Think you guys may be eating your words, as he will be a regular by mid season.

I also hope you’re right but I doubt it.

We have 4-6 guys close to the end now and I have no doubt one of those spots are his for the next 10 years.

Unless Brent Stanton can stay healthy and recover his form of three or four season ago, and the same goes for Brendan Goddard they may find themselves playing VFL. Yep I know that rarely do champs like this get this embarassment, but if you pick teams on form and not reputation then there many be a few of the returning 12 who will be under extreme pressure for a spot in the best 22. And the mantra for many teams in 2017 and onwards will be pace !!

What the hell are you talking about re Stanton?

1. Health and fitness has never been a problem for Stanton. He played 22 games in 2015. The last time he played less than 20 games in a season was 2006.

2. His best form was also in 2015. His highest for disposals and tackles and right up there with his best for marks.

In Stanton’s last 10 games he averaged 28 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles and 4 inside 50s. In his last game he had 30 disposals, 3 goals, 8 marks, 4 tackles and 5 inside 50s and 3 Brownlow votes.

Oh and Jake. In his 3 games he has averaged 11 disposals.

LIKE LIKE LIKE!

Stanton is still a great player and damaging when off the leash. Why do you think he gets tagged. But they cant tag them all. Ie, Zakka will be happy Stants is back.

We have 4-6 guys close to the end now and I have no doubt one of those spots are his for the next 10 years.

Unless Brent Stanton can stay healthy and recover his form of three or four season ago, and the same goes for Brendan Goddard they may find themselves playing VFL. Yep I know that rarely do champs like this get this embarassment, but if you pick teams on form and not reputation then there many be a few of the returning 12 who will be under extreme pressure for a spot in the best 22. And the mantra for many teams in 2017 and onwards will be pace !!

Hang on… has Stanton ever missed games due to injury? And in 2015 he was a gun. And he won the time trial last week. I’m all for Longy pushing past him, but it’s still a way off.

What the hell are you talking about re Stanton?

1. Health and fitness has never been a problem for Stanton. He played 22 games in 2015. The last time he played less than 20 games in a season was 2006.

2. His best form was also in 2015. His highest for disposals and tackles and right up there with his best for marks.

In Stanton’s last 10 games he averaged 28 disposals, 6 marks, 4 tackles and 4 inside 50s. In his last game he had 30 disposals, 3 goals, 8 marks, 4 tackles and 5 inside 50s and 3 Brownlow votes.

Oh and Jake. In his 3 games he has averaged 11 disposals.

LIKE LIKE LIKE!

Stanton is still a great player and damaging when off the leash. Why do you think he gets tagged. But they cant tag them all. Ie, Zakka will be happy Stants is back.

Thats exactly it, people with better footy brains no how damaging he is when off the leash. Unbelievable runner and accumulator. People need to stop bagging him with no footy knowledge. He is a EFC player who has given his all for this club and deserves the respect of all our supporters.

Hang on… has Stanton ever missed games due to injury? And in 2015 he was a gun. And he won the time trial last week. I’m all for Longy pushing past him, but it’s still a way off.

I thought Paddy Ambrose won the time trial?

Fun fact:, Jake Long and David Myers are the only players on our list with a positive win\\loss ratio for the senior team.

That is not fun in the slightest.

So have we worked out if Long is on the senior list or rookie list for next year yet?

Rookie

Would there be a reason this player has been demoted to the Rookie List. Are all of our draftees ready made for AFL or do one or two need time - if so why wouldn’t they be rookied and Jake on the main list? Surely he showed enough last season.

He wasn’t demoted in the tradional sense, and you kind of answer your own question, upgrading Jake would have cost a list spot in a good draft. He still needs more development, may as well let that happen on the rookie list.

holy crap i’m going the opposite way to you for once on an indig kid.

I agree he needs some more fine tuning, hell most of the list does. but his early season form this year was pretty special and the only reason he wasn’t able to be selected was cos he was a rookie.
Yeah he tapered out a little bit, being young was a factor sure, but so would playing well and knowing you can’t get a senior gig must also play on guys minds.

I’d hate to see that happen again where he starts the season on fire and we can’t play him cos we didn’t back him and his development in enough to put him on the senior list.

Long is the type of player we so desperately need to be giving as much chance to succeed as possible, to me keepign him on the rookie list is restricting that process slighlty. Sure you can say it has hopefully worked for walla and that he will continue to develop upwards from his path.
I just think Long could be anything, and wh ile i’m not a fan of carrying players, he is an exception to that rule, cos if you can get him to afl standard, look the ■■■■ out opposition teams.

Stanton has not been dropped across 4 coaching panels, you think it’s gonna start now ?
Goddard will not be dropped either.

next year I would be very surprised if any of the returning players aren’t picked every week, unless injury, ditto goddard. we all like to think it’s not gonna happen, and form will be the over riding factor, but it won’t be, there will still be way to much guilt involved with alot of the team selections next year, it has to be otherwise you’d be an absolute heartless ■■■■■■■.

Granted it’s easier to say that calmly atm when you’re not in the midst of the season fighting for a finals spot. but anyone who think emotion and guilt won’t play a massive part next year are just kiddding themselves. It will and we just have to ride it out for another year.

I rate Long. He definitely wasn’t out of place playing at AFL level. But I still think he is one of the last picked in the senior side. And that is more a testament to the strength and depth of our current squad, not his lack of ability.

I think he needs to have a big preseason, work on his engine and ability to enforce himself on a game. You want your AFL players to be dominating VFL really. Has to force his way into the senior team with consistent 25+ possession games from HBF/midfield or regular 3 goal games up forward.

Well that escalated quickly!

Stanton has not been dropped across 4 coaching panels, you think it’s gonna start now ?

next year I would be very surprised if any of the returning players aren’t picked every week, unless injury, ditto goddard. we all like to think it’s not gonna happen, and form will be the over riding factor, but it won’t be, there will still be way to much guilt involved with alot of the team selections next year, it has to be otherwise you’d be an absolute heartless ■■■■■■■.

Granted it’s easier to say that calmly atm when you’re not in the midst of the season fighting for a finals spot. but anyone who think emotion and guilt won’t play a massive part next year are just kiddding themselves. It will and we just have to ride it out for another year.

We are in the wrong thread… that said…

Woosha has no attachment to the returning players, he has never coached them in a game. You could argue he has a greater attachment to the players he coached last year and did the job for him.

I felt that he was sentimental at selection at times last year. There is no chance that carries over to the early stages of next season. He has a heap of unknowns to get through when deciding his round 1 side. One of the greatest is how the 10 players cope in their first real game back. He would be absolutely crazy to take that risk with all 10 heading into round 1.

Do I think all 10 will get games during the season… yes. Do I think they will play together… maybe, if they are good enough. Do I think they will all play together round 1… very highly unlikely.

Oh, and Jake is a very talented footballer. I like him.

I think Jake on the rookie list is the right call. He’s got a good head on his shoulders, has all the tools, and shows glimpses of being something special, but needs to work on his consistency. I think when injury strikes (and it always does) he’ll be one of the first called up, so I definitely think he’ll get opportunity next year.

Woosha has no attachment to the returning players, he has never coached them in a game. You could argue he has a greater attachment to the players he coached last year and did the job for him.

I felt that he was sentimental at selection at times last year. There is no chance that carries over to the early stages of next season. He has a heap of unknowns to get through when deciding his round 1 side. One of the greatest is how the 10 players cope in their first real game back. He would be absolutely crazy to take that risk with all 10 heading into round 1.

Do I think all 10 will get games during the season… yes. Do I think they will play together… maybe, if they are good enough. Do I think they will all play together round 1… very highly unlikely.

Jakey is special. His movement, awareness and strength in the tackle show a great upside. A bit more strength and endurance and he could be a fantastic rebound HBF. Runs and links up well. Would love to see him feeding his mate Joey inside the F50.

I agree with you on the Woosha no attachment statements. IMHO he will be picking to win games, not picking to win mates. I reckon we will see a majority of the returning players smash the Hawks in rd 1, barring injuries of course.

He does have the pre-season to get them playing together and I think he will use that to start moulding what he has into a team. Get some game time into their legs and some on-field bonding in those games and he will have a good idea of what to pick for rd 1.

Exciting times.

This club sadly is rarely run solely by the head coach.
so while i agree he doesn’t have the attachment to the returning players as you say, outside influences at this club will no doubt be putting a hell of a lot of pressure on him to do what THEY want, and that will be to keep the status quo of things.

Like it or not, it’s about perception just as much as reality. If he doesn’t pick a returning player, then that can easily be used against him to cause friction by people who follow their own agenda.

Stanton is the prime example. If he drops him during the season next year, he loses half the supporter base, and some of the powerbrokers around the club, cos they love stanton and see no wrong in him.

this is not me saying I want any of the returning 10 not to play, I just think people need to accept sooner rather than later, guilt will still play a massive part next year in the running of every facet of the club, whether we like it or not.

BS

I think that the returning players will be given first chance to prove their form in the first few rounds. If they prove and maintain their form then they stay in the team. If they don’t, then I don’t think Woosha will be sentimental.