#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Now it all makes sense. Stanton has friends in high places who have held a gun to the head of the last 4 coaches at selection time. It couldn’t possibly be anything else.

Or, maybe he’s just a good player.

Think you guys may be eating your words, as he will be a regular by mid season.

I also hope you’re right but I doubt it.

We have 4-6 guys close to the end now and I have no doubt one of those spots are his for the next 10 years.

Unless Brent Stanton can stay healthy and recover his form of three or four season ago, and the same goes for Brendan Goddard they may find themselves playing VFL. Yep I know that rarely do champs like this get this embarassment, but if you pick teams on form and not reputation then there many be a few of the returning 12 who will be under extreme pressure for a spot in the best 22. And the mantra for many teams in 2017 and onwards will be pace !!

Stanton has not been dropped across 4 coaching panels, you think it’s gonna start now ?
Goddard will not be dropped either.

next year I would be very surprised if any of the returning players aren’t picked every week, unless injury, ditto goddard. we all like to think it’s not gonna happen, and form will be the over riding factor, but it won’t be, there will still be way to much guilt involved with alot of the team selections next year, it has to be otherwise you’d be an absolute heartless ■■■■■■■.

Granted it’s easier to say that calmly atm when you’re not in the midst of the season fighting for a finals spot. but anyone who think emotion and guilt won’t play a massive part next year are just kiddding themselves. It will and we just have to ride it out for another year.

We are in the wrong thread… that said…

Woosha has no attachment to the returning players, he has never coached them in a game. You could argue he has a greater attachment to the players he coached last year and did the job for him.

I felt that he was sentimental at selection at times last year. There is no chance that carries over to the early stages of next season. He has a heap of unknowns to get through when deciding his round 1 side. One of the greatest is how the 10 players cope in their first real game back. He would be absolutely crazy to take that risk with all 10 heading into round 1.

Do I think all 10 will get games during the season… yes. Do I think they will play together… maybe, if they are good enough. Do I think they will all play together round 1… very highly unlikely.

Oh, and Jake is a very talented footballer. I like him.

This club sadly is rarely run solely by the head coach.
so while i agree he doesn’t have the attachment to the returning players as you say, outside influences at this club will no doubt be putting a hell of a lot of pressure on him to do what THEY want, and that will be to keep the status quo of things.

Like it or not, it’s about perception just as much as reality. If he doesn’t pick a returning player, then that can easily be used against him to cause friction by people who follow their own agenda.

Stanton is the prime example. If he drops him during the season next year, he loses half the supporter base, and some of the powerbrokers around the club, cos they love stanton and see no wrong in him.

this is not me saying I want any of the returning 10 not to play, I just think people need to accept sooner rather than later, guilt will still play a massive part next year in the running of every facet of the club, whether we like it or not.

1. I’m not sure you have too much idea of how the club works.

2. You need to get over your Stanton problem. It has been festering for over a decade now. You should probably seek some help.

Stanton hate thread derailment number 642.

Stanton hate thread derailment number 642.

It is the ol’ Reductio ad Stantonium argument.

I just can’t see the returning players all getting a game in round 1.

7 or 8 tops…what does it say to the likes of Bird, Lav, the Langford etc if they just aren’t given a chance to play.

We have 4-6 guys close to the end now and I have no doubt one of those spots are his for the next 10 years.

Unless Brent Stanton can stay healthy and recover his form of three or four season ago, and the same goes for Brendan Goddard they may find themselves playing VFL. Yep I know that rarely do champs like this get this embarassment, but if you pick teams on form and not reputation then there many be a few of the returning 12 who will be under extreme pressure for a spot in the best 22. And the mantra for many teams in 2017 and onwards will be pace !!

Stanton has not been dropped across 4 coaching panels, you think it’s gonna start now ?

next year I would be very surprised if any of the returning players aren’t picked every week, unless injury, ditto goddard. we all like to think it’s not gonna happen, and form will be the over riding factor, but it won’t be, there will still be way to much guilt involved with alot of the team selections next year, it has to be otherwise you’d be an absolute heartless ■■■■■■■.

Granted it’s easier to say that calmly atm when you’re not in the midst of the season fighting for a finals spot. but anyone who think emotion and guilt won’t play a massive part next year are just kiddding themselves. It will and we just have to ride it out for another year.

We are in the wrong thread… that said…

Woosha has no attachment to the returning players, he has never coached them in a game. You could argue he has a greater attachment to the players he coached last year and did the job for him.

I felt that he was sentimental at selection at times last year. There is no chance that carries over to the early stages of next season. He has a heap of unknowns to get through when deciding his round 1 side. One of the greatest is how the 10 players cope in their first real game back. He would be absolutely crazy to take that risk with all 10 heading into round 1.

Do I think all 10 will get games during the season… yes. Do I think they will play together… maybe, if they are good enough. Do I think they will all play together round 1… very highly unlikely.

Oh, and Jake is a very talented footballer. I like him.

This club sadly is rarely run solely by the head coach.
so while i agree he doesn’t have the attachment to the returning players as you say, outside influences at this club will no doubt be putting a hell of a lot of pressure on him to do what THEY want, and that will be to keep the status quo of things.

Like it or not, it’s about perception just as much as reality. If he doesn’t pick a returning player, then that can easily be used against him to cause friction by people who follow their own agenda.

Stanton is the prime example. If he drops him during the season next year, he loses half the supporter base, and some of the powerbrokers around the club, cos they love stanton and see no wrong in him.

this is not me saying I want any of the returning 10 not to play, I just think people need to accept sooner rather than later, guilt will still play a massive part next year in the running of every facet of the club, whether we like it or not.

ahm…I’m pretty sure we delisted him, man.

I just can't see the returning players all getting a game in round 1.

7 or 8 tops…what does it say to the likes of Bird, Lav, the Langford etc if they just aren’t given a chance to play.

Well if the team is picked on form, then surely it tells them that they are not currently good enough?

I have watched a lot of footy over the past decades and Brent Stanton is a champion no doubt at all. Not a Michael Long type of excitement machine that I hope that Jake Long develops into. In my opinion season after season Stanton plays with injuries; he may win the time trial and usually starts the season with a great stretch of BOG performances, but he has had shoulder issues, leg issues and perhaps even a crook back, but he still plays.

This is something I have never understood, and while most teams play guys with injuries and give them a needle or six, seems to me that the Bombers have done this consistently, over many coaching panels. Matthew Lloyd, James Hird, Stanton, Jobe Watson, Budda Hocking, TBC and others limp around and still get played. Maybe it is the medical team; or maybe it is just my imagination.

Now do we have to have the “Is Brent Stanton a champion?” argument again?

Well if the team is picked on form, then surely it tells them that they are not currently good enough?

And it tells them they were lucky to get as many games as they did purely due to circumstance and they going have to fight extra hard to lock down a spot in a very experienced driven senior team.

Man you can come up with some series tripe.

And it tells them they were lucky to get as many games as they did purely due to circumstance and they going have to fight extra hard to lock down a spot in a very experienced driven senior team.

That’s why it was so good that they got a nice big taste of the bigtime this year.
They now know they can cut it, and will not want to take a step backwards, which means none will likely take a backward step!

It’s gonna be war for spots. I think our main injury worries will be from training.

I think the certainties for the returning players if fit are hurley, hooker, watson, heppell, colyer and stanton. I dont think hocking, howlett, bellchambers and myers are locked in. They will be given a chance to prove themselves but there are lots of players from this year that need to be looked at also. I think woosha is the perfect coacb for this because he has no attachment and is an experienced head, who knows how to get success.

To say he needs to maintain the status quo is just wrong, and he would be the type to just smile and say no i am doing it my way.

If Hocks & Myers pick up where they left off before injury/clusterfcuk, they’ll both be in 4 mine.

Buddha in particular.

If Hocks & Myers pick up where they left off before injury/clusterfcuk, they'll both be in 4 mine.

Buddha in particular.

If all 10 play in round 1 it means our kids are ■■■■. Alternatively if some of them don’t we are being ■■■■■■ to them.

Am I doing it right?

I’d priorise the kids if the senior player is marginally better than the kid. I think its worth sacrificing this season to fast track development so we can have a solid long term attempt at finals success in the following years. Last year did wonders for parish, fantasia, zach merrett, langford, lav, mckenna, TIPPA, joe even (although he would’ve been playing regardless but was allowed up the ground much more which i personally like for him). With the senior players I don’t think we’re a chance of a deep finals campaign and While I like the sentiment of bringing most back, from a list perspective I think a handful of them will be supersceded in the coming 2 years.

I guess i’m saying im more hopeful from 2018 onwards than next year, by a fair margin.

I'd priorise the kids if the senior player is marginally better than the kid. I think its worth sacrificing this season to fast track development so we can have a solid long term attempt at finals success in the following years. Last year did wonders for parish, fantasia, zach merrett, langford, lav, mckenna, TIPPA, joe even (although he would've been playing regardless but was allowed up the ground much more which i personally like for him). With the senior players I don't think we're a chance of a deep finals campaign and While I like the sentiment of bringing most back, from a list perspective I think a handful of them will be supersceded in the coming 2 years.

I guess i’m saying im more hopeful from 2018 onwards than next year, by a fair margin.

I wouldn’t go into the season doing that. Go in with the best team, and if its not working out start to think about the future.
I'd priorise the kids if the senior player is marginally better than the kid. I think its worth sacrificing this season to fast track development so we can have a solid long term attempt at finals success in the following years. Last year did wonders for parish, fantasia, zach merrett, langford, lav, mckenna, TIPPA, joe even (although he would've been playing regardless but was allowed up the ground much more which i personally like for him). With the senior players I don't think we're a chance of a deep finals campaign and While I like the sentiment of bringing most back, from a list perspective I think a handful of them will be supersceded in the coming 2 years.

They got a taste last year. Now they should have to earn their spots their hard way. That’s what’s going to make them develop faster.

How good is Tippa. Had that one shocker kicking from defense (which some players would never live down. Ever) but wow. Laser boot.

And I think he must have thought for a split second that it was an Essendon player he kicked to - he kicked it there with intent. Thankfully he did not let that genuine clanger impact on his game from then on, Walla is a great kick.