#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Is long getting a game?

Is long getting a game?

Yes - In the VFL.

IMO Long has shown enough that he will be a very good player. I don’t think putting pressure on him this season to get AFL games (in such a competitive side) as a means to whether he gets a list spot next year is counter productive.

We have an ageing list. If we want to go into the future with a good age balance, keeping a player like Long who will take a little while longer to come on… its pretty important.

Now do we have to have the "Is Brent Stanton a champion?" argument again?

We should have a poll

How many reserves game to Mick Long play for EFC? Was it O’Donnell like?

Thats part of problem, clubs and supporters are to keen to get these kids in the 1’s, IMO sometimes to their detriment

Jake is here and will bloom for 2018 and beyong, i hope

How many reserves game to Mick Long play for EFC? Was it O'Donnell like?

Thats part of problem, clubs and supporters are to keen to get these kids in the 1’s, IMO sometimes to their detriment

Jake is here and will bloom for 2018 and beyong, i hope

He played stuff all in the twos, GOD played tonnes

We have an ageing list. If we want to go into the future with a good age balance, keeping a player like Long who will take a little while longer to come on… its pretty important.

Is it really true that we have an ageing list?(pedants, pls. Ye ken well wot a min)
I’d describe it as a mature and pretty well balanced list.
Who are our 30+'s?
Goddard, Watson and Stanton?

Is it really true that we have an ageing list?(pedants, pls. Ye ken well wot a min)
Who are our 30+'s?

• Kelly

Who are our 30+'s?

• Kelly

The teams with more 30 year olds than us are: Freo (6), GWS (6), and the Eagles (5). Suns, Dogs and Saints have the same number (4).

Who are our 30+'s?

• Kelly

The teams with more 30 year olds than us are: Freo (6), GWS (6), and the Eagles (5). Suns, Dogs and Saints have the same number (4).

So the two Grand Finalists are among that bunch.
I think we’re doing okay there.
It occurs to me that i might have seen a thread on this. Sozzles.

Aye canny like.

I’m more concerned about our sudden lack of 40+ year old players.

The Jake Long List Management Tread

Who are our 30+'s?

• Kelly

So the two Grand Finalists are among that bunch.
I think we’re doing okay there.
It occurs to me that i might have seen a thread on this. Sozzles.

I’ve tried, but I can’t find the Swans on that list.

IMO Long has shown enough that he will be a very good player. I don't think putting pressure on him this season to get AFL games (in such a competitive side) as a means to whether he gets a list spot next year is counter productive.

Do you truly believe that Long has shown enough to be a very good player? I am happy to hear of your optimism, but my impression of him in the seniors was that there were a couple of cameos, and some ok tackling, but not anything to suggest that he could make it long term as a senior footballer. I’m not going to judge him off his 2 or 3 games, but I do remember thinking he needed to find more of the ball

I am not a big VFL watcher, but watched a couple of his games in the finals and I remember him being really good in one of the games in the last quarter, but really it’s a step up from that level to AFL

IMO Long has shown enough that he will be a very good player. I don't think putting pressure on him this season to get AFL games (in such a competitive side) as a means to whether he gets a list spot next year is counter productive.

Do you truly believe that Long has shown enough to be a very good player? I am happy to hear of your optimism, but my impression of him in the seniors was that there were a couple of cameos, and some ok tackling, but not anything to suggest that he could make it long term as a senior footballer. I’m not going to judge him off his 2 or 3 games, but I do remember thinking he needed to find more of the ball

I am not a big VFL watcher, but watched a couple of his games in the finals and I remember him being really good in one of the games in the last quarter, but really it’s a step up from that level to AFL

I think there is a ‘I belong’ factor too.

I watched him really closely in the GC game last year.

The amount of times he was making space, and could/should of got the pill.

But it was like, he could see other players demanding the pill and just wasn’t assertive enough in commanding the ball.

He impressed me more in the seniors than in the 2’s. He may be that kind of player.

Who are our 30+'s?

• Kelly

Probably North Melbourne thought this at the end of 2015. At round 12 2016 they were #1 and really believed it was true, but by round 18 they had brought in the guillotine . I certainly hope that doesnt happen to us in 2017. If it does, at least we have good depth. Even so, Jake is more 2018 than 2017 imo.

Little birdy told me Jake is showing real improvement again this pre season, a few of the returning players have been really impressed where he is at from this time last year, and the coaches are as well. Could push for senior selection earlier than people think.

Agree the intra club i saw him in he was very evasive and clean. I just think with his game style he still needs some extra strength through the core but will def see senior footy this year for mine.
Funny coz when he first came to the club i thought he was no chance.