#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

I just love the way he stands his opponent up and backs off them looking to draw them into overcommitting. Exactly like his old man used to. Michael was never really a prolific ball winner, not consistently anyway. But when he got it or touched it something invariably seemed to happen.

Jake seems to be tracking well but doesn’t seemed to have quite earned the confidence of his teammates or found the necessary self believe. He certainly seems headed in the right direction though and I’d like to think he’ll be a permanent fixture in the next couple of years.

If he is I suspect he’ll be a very damaging player.

Tippa, Fanta, colyer, green, Long, McGrath, laverde - that side would have some serious pace in it.

I noticed in a interview on the website this week, can’t remember who, maybe McKenna or someone, mentioned him as one of the kids in the same sentence and Parish and others. Also being used in club marketing. Will be interesting to see what happens when we can elevate a rookie at the start of the season.

1st quarter last game of 2016 vs Fark

Jake Long kick sets up an easy goal.

A hell of a lot of AFL footballers don’t have the ability to execute that kick.
A hell of a lot of AFL footballers don’t have the vision to see that kick.

■■■■■■ fantastic to read that he’s continued to improve again this off season and earning some respect from the team. Keep working hard Longy!

I just love the way he stands his opponent up and backs off them looking to draw them into overcommitting. Exactly like his old man used to. Michael was never really a prolific ball winner, not consistently anyway. But when he got it or touched it something invariably seemed to happen.

Jake seems to be tracking well but doesn’t seemed to have quite earned the confidence of his teammates or found the necessary self believe. He certainly seems headed in the right direction though and I’d like to think he’ll be a permanent fixture in the next couple of years.

If he is I suspect he’ll be a very damaging player.

Gee the 1st praragragh is so spot on.

Get them overcomitting, then sidestep and dash away with pace.

There’s no doubt the upward curve of constant improvement seems to say he’ll make it and excel.

l am looking forward to seeing that his continued development pays dividends.

One of only two players on the list with a winning record for games played - Barometer :wink:

One of only two players on the list with a winning record for games played - Barometer ;)

Kelly the other?

David Myers

Little birdy told me Jake is showing real improvement again this pre season, a few of the returning players have been really impressed where he is at from this time last year, and the coaches are as well. Could push for senior selection earlier than people think.

I’m curious whether Ben Long doing very well in the VFL finals for the Doggies and getting picked at 25 with the Saints first pick in the draft to get onto their main list, might have added a spark to Jake’s self belief and motivation.

This is not to mention the inspiration of Walla taking Essendon by storm, after more than several years of trying.

Going by the clubs websites, Jake has 3cm, a couple of kg and 18 months on Ben. I don’t know if there is a Long pecking order, but if there is, Ben is showing plenty of signs of upsetting it.

I wonder if Jake thinks: “If Ben is going to become a rated senior player I should be beating him to it.”

I’m hoping that he does.

I noticed in a interview on the website this week, can't remember who, maybe McKenna or someone, mentioned him as one of the kids in the same sentence and Parish and others. Also being used in club marketing. Will be interesting to see what happens when we can elevate a rookie at the start of the season.

We can’t can we? We only get our free mid year one.

I noticed in a interview on the website this week, can't remember who, maybe McKenna or someone, mentioned him as one of the kids in the same sentence and Parish and others. Also being used in club marketing. Will be interesting to see what happens when we can elevate a rookie at the start of the season.

Yes. Our senior list is full. Unless someone goes on the long term injury list.

Yes. Our senior list is full. Unless someone goes on the long term injury list.

Oh, I thought every club elevate one pre and mid season, didn’t realise it was senior list spot dependant.

If a list spot opens up I’m sure they will keep it open for Smack if they need him.
Crowie mentioned in the injury update they are looking at having Tbell ready latter in the season . That leaves Loony which is fine but if he misses any weeks I wouldn’t particularly like to see Stewart as our sole ruck.

That aside, I’m pumped that Longy is progressing so well.

If a list spot opens up I'm sure they will keep it open for Smack if they need him. Crowie mentioned in the injury update they are looking at having Tbell ready latter in the season . That leaves Loony which is fine but if he misses any weeks I wouldn't particularly like to see Stewart as our sole ruck.

That aside, I’m pumped that Longy is progressing so well.

Wouldn’t be surprised if they tell Tbell to get himself completely right, have a pre-season whilst on the LTI list and unleash him after round 8. It is an 8 week miminum to be put on the LTI yeah?

Meanwhile, a fit and hopefully firing Smack can begin the season on the main list, ready to play if ever Looney had even a little niggle or if form just forces him in.

Having said all that, that time frame may be a bit harsh on Tbell if his injury rehab has him on track to be ready way before round 8.

Cherry ripe.

Pretty sure the 8 weeks could start now. That way the “worst case scenario” of early recovery sees him miss two senior games.

Presumably they don’t see him as three-months-crippled as you describe – and maybe not even half that, as I just did.

Do people even remember what an absolutely crap ruckman Smack is?
FFS, I’d rather use Walla.

Do people even remember what an absolutely crap ruckman Smack is? FFS, I'd rather use Walla.

Can you imagine the amount of free kick hawthorn will have to put up round one?

Seriously though smack isn’t great in the ruck contest but he is ■■■■■■ good once it hits the ground.

Are there rules about how far out from the season players can be put on the lti?

Do people even remember what an absolutely crap ruckman Smack is? FFS, I'd rather use Walla.

I think it’s more that we’re missing a back up ruckman on our list but we’re all fine for Smacks.