#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

And ignores that it was totally justified. He clearly hit the guy high in a dangerous way.

I don’t think it’s unreasonable that you can’t serve main season suspensions in next year’s practice games in fairness.

I spose it depends on the players treating the practice games in a gentlemanly fashion which probably doesn’t happen.

There is no guarantee a player would even be in next year’s practice matches. And what happens to someone suspended in the last practice match of the year? Wait a year for the suspension (if ever), or miss regular season games? Which means the penalty for being suspended in the first versus last practice match is out of whack.

Just makes it much cleaner and simpler to simply suspend from regular season matches.

2 Likes

Honestly wouldn’t have thought this needed explaining.

Shows how a deeply enough believed conspiracy theory can completely override common sense.

I’d reckon he has quite a job in front of him to get a contract next year. Hope for his sake, and the club, he does. Because right now I wouldn’t have thought he will

2 Likes

Yeah, it feels hard to see him and Jerrett doing enough for another one.

Needs to feel like he doesn’t have to do as much with the ball in hand.

almost every time i see him play hes trying to replicate his dads run in the 93 grandfinal.

This place…

At the end of last year he looked good. Clearly played better at senior level, and was valuable in a couple of our better performances for the year.

Fast forward 6 months and he has played 0 matches, beyond a couple of early season practice games. The suspension was not ideal, but why would anyone be writing him off at this stage? He has some talent, that if it can be harnessed is A grade.

4 Likes

Yep, silliness

Personally I see him as the running HBF that we are looking for. He has shown some good awareness in congestion and has clean foot skills to go with his pace. He is also good at standing off his opponent and timing his tackle when the ball is being flicked around. I really believe he could be a great asset off HB.

Loves to try and baulk 5 players before giving off the handball.

1 Like

A) I’m not writing him off.
B) He showed signs of potential last year, but was a long way off.
C) Rookies not promoted after two years are in a precarious place. He needs to show a bit.
D) He started the year in the VFL quietly.

At the moment he’s not in a great place. Can he turn it around? Sure. I had Colyer in trouble until he broke out (was it 2014?). So it can happen. But he has a lot of work to do.

I agree Ants. He needs to show significant improvement to keep a spot on the list. Some of his efforts preseason were subpar. Improving this part of his game is going to be key.

1 Like

…are you referring to my post?

Had to look back, and in regards to the first sentence, yes.

Then I was taking the pizz out of windy.

Who’s writing him off? I and a couple of others said he has a lot of work to do to get another Contract. Do you not agree? To say he has A grade talent is fkn ridiculous imo. I agree he does have something, but you sit down right now and as it sits, he has a LOT to to get another contract I’d have thought as he either has to be upgraded next year, or delisted

But I should know where I am, where the slightest criticism of any player is a crime

5 Likes

Love that he tries. (Racist alert) Daniel Rioli was a bit like that in his early games

My point was about how a guy goes from “developing nicely” to “hard to see him getting another year” in the space of zero games.

He needs to keep developing and improving, and he has an entire season to do that.

Merrett is done. Long will be on our list next year, not hard to see it happen at all.

He’s got A grade agility, and disposal is very very good.

But that’s not enough.

Fitness and body not AFL standard.

And then the big one- intensity to every game and contest.