#34 Jake Long - you’re cut, so long

Do you see him, right now, getting a contract next year?

At the end of last year we thought he had been improving, and thought he had every chance to take it to the next level this year.

He just played his 1st game for this year.

So does it matter what you see, or might think you see right now?

Does it even bear thinking about yet, let alone make any sort of call on him?

It’s a pointless exercise.

2 Likes

See BSDs comment. He’s 1 game in this year. We all hope he improves over the year and the decision is “obvious” come October.

I don’t think it so fucken farfetched to say he’s pushing ■■■■ uphill to get another contract and I’d reckon 90% of people would agree with me. That’s the reality. He has a LOT of work to do to be on the list in 2018 and I don’t think that has changed since the end of last season

2 Likes

I don’t disagree that he has to improve. I also don’t know whether he will or won’t.

Time will tell.

Pushing sh*t uphill…depends, do you think he has it in him to improve? Ants had Long and Jerrett in the same basket. One is in Year 6, the other Year 3. Improvement in your third year after an improved 2nd year would hardly be staggering. It would be a pretty normal development path.

1 Like

I agree with this, but one positive for him is that there are likely to be plenty of list spots free.
You’d have to think at least a couple of the old guys would go.
Guys like Hocking and Howlett are a good chance to finish up as well. Jerrett is probably gone. There will easily be a minimum 5 or 6 main list spots free

Is long any chance at all to come in for fantasia? What has his vfl form been like?

Couldn’t crack games last year, no chance this year.

I’d say very unlikely. Form not great. But I’d love to see it. Plays better in the seniors, and means we don’t lose too much pace.

Except he did get games last year…

Yeah 3 when the season was well over.

And he seemed to link up really well with Daniher in those games

The season was over by round 1 wasn’t it?

7 Likes

I would be very very suprised if he was still on the list next year. Hasnt shown nearly enough

1 Like

I said at the end of last year, that he won’t get an AFL game this season. But he shouldn’t be judged based on this.

Long’s improvement has been slow. But he has been improving. He’s also shown that he can play a AfL level.
I argue that we are going to have a lot of retirements in the next 2 years. I’d hold on to him, as his ball use is very good and he very good speed.
A lot of people will disagree with me, but I’m an optimist and think every player on our list has the potential to be a gun.

5 Likes

I think that time has already told.

Has a 66% winning record.

3 Likes

Delist

1 Like

If he doesn’t get a game this week with no Raz, no Zerrett, no Jerrett and Green in poxy form, he’s done.

Spoiler: he’s done.

Green played well. Kicked poorly.

6 Likes