#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

This “cool and mysterious” proclaiming thing is soooooo not cool and mysterious.

3 Likes

With what?

Cooked

Knee injury (according to a random Geelong poster on bigfooty)

1 Like

I like a lot of what Guelfi does and he has an uncanny knack of getting spoils or deflections and will put in the 1 percenters all game long.

But he went to the Ben Howlett school of: no matter the situation or position on the ground, when you get the ball, kick it as long and high as you can with no thought to lowering your eyes.

2 Likes

Still probably more accurate than Browne, McClure, Ralph, Barrett etc, butI think I might wait until it comes from the club.

Yeah but his real asset is that he’s not just a wingman. Played back forward and mid against port.
Averaging slightly more tackles thank Zaka, McGrath, myers and Redman.
Also feel like his size is somewhat irrelevant considering how hard he goes at contests - seems to help him break even against bigger guys.
Then there’s his smothers, spoils etc.
He’s a good utility and wildly underrated imo

1 Like

Yeah, that doesn’t sound good.

Jeez, our injuries are becoming a BIG problem. Going to take something pretty special to win a final, let alone make finals this year.

Hopefully we can muster something similar to what the Dogs did and make a good fist of it by simply having a mindset of huge effort and pressure.

Sounds serious. Some good news in there too though.

just as i was talking him up :frowning_face:

14th for one percenters per game at Essendon
14th for tackles
16th for pressure acts
17th for spoils

(All from afl.com.au)

Are his spoils more spoily? His pressure acts more pressurey?

I’d argue they are. But i’m well aware of how you feel about him.

1 Like

The year could mean pcl. Hope not acl

1 Like

caracella the succession plan

#35 Matt Guelfi - Welcome to Rehab

Honestly someone fire this season out of a fkn canon already, I’m done.

3 Likes

Yep. Can we just make finals and then forfeit? That way we can end the season on a positive note. We do not have the cattle to compete.

They’re all counted the exact same way by the exact same statisticians.

I also didn’t like his comments the other week about just being happy to have made it to the AFL, but it sort of makes sense.
If he wants to go the next step, and be a good AFL player, he needs to do more. IMHO.

I do agree with you on that. It’s really hard to gauge the ceiling of a player like Guelfi. We might have already seen it in which case he’ll only ever be depth. If he wants to stay in the team he needs to keep progressing.

I think the reason people get around him is because his effort is consistently high/intense, even when the rest of the team roll over. It makes him look like a better player. I really like him, but i wouldn’t be sad if somebody better pushed him out.