#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

Not sure if Guelfi is good player or just hasn’t had the shepherding/smothering/chasing/tackling trained out of him yet

2 Likes

He seems comfortable at the level - Played well in defence in the second half - Like him to play defence and then release McGrath to the midfield.

Shows why you should cut one deeper each year and bring in a mature age player. Worst case, you still have a VFL player who can’t make it… Pick 76 and look at him go.

6 Likes

leave while youre still young and innocent Matt.

1 Like

Go back to safety of the wafl

Pretty sure razor called him Jayden at one point.

He’s the role player we need but we still need about another 5 of them.

1 Like

Yep. I wonder if Woosha’s game plan, the one the player’s are not understanding, consists of:

• Be bigger
  • Be quicker
  • Be a better tackler

Because if it is, them he is completely absolved of any responsibility, and it’s clearly on the players to better understand his gameplan and not be so confused…

/s

1 Like

Don’t you remember from when Hirdy was coaching? The Coach is responsible for everything.

But according to Woosha the players are responsible for the way they set up or don’t on the ground. That makes him responsible for zilch. If the players don’t understand the game plan its their fault. Its their problem.

The good Teacher imparts information to the student and elicits feedback to ensure they have the correct information. The other Teacher tells the student and hopes they’ve got it. From then on - its no one’s fault or responsibility because everyone blames someone else for the failure to execute.

2 Likes

Stays in the side for the rest of the season Clarke and Mutch next in line to get games.

One of the only positives from yesterday, at least we have found a player in this kid. Not a world beater, but the effort and desire is there at least.

1 Like

He genuinely looks to be an above average AFL footballer already - in his second game.

Playing alongside most of our list will do that.

14 Likes

We are truly dreadful at that facet of the game.

Knowing Essington he’ll be dropped this week.

1 Like

Too hot for our own good.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Woosha’s coaching, for the most part, is just telling the guys to play better.

‘Listen, my system is brilliant but it only works if you guys run harder, hit harder and kick straighter than the opposition… I can’t do everything.’

1 Like

I like his game… keep playing him

I wanted Hartung.
A lot.
I’m prepared to admit that Guelfi might, in fact probably will, end up the better player.

I like the way Guelfi goes about it but let’s not get carried away.

He’s a role player when we need star factor.

2 Likes

Am I the only one who is a little underwhelmed?

He’s not giving us Tim Kelly or Liam Ryan levels of performance, those guys would be the benchmarks for this year’s mature age rookie crop.

He looks like a neat player in the Rick Dyson mould to me. Gets a bit of the ball but not a lot, uses it ok but not amazingly.

Can’t see any standout feature.

1 Like