#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

And pop. And do they like pie, root beer and not turning up to the polls when it really matters

1 Like

Apparently heā€™s ā€œthe next Rance.ā€ How could they not nominate him?

And for those who pushed for Burton, Iā€™ve hardly heard him mentioned this season, apart from being dropped at one point.

1 pick each draft should go to one of these mature age types a 5th or 6th round selection, You can easily tell who will make it after 1 year at the club, We heard all pre season from everyone who watched Guelfi that heā€™ll be a player.

2 Likes

Most clubs are doing this I reckon. Recruiters have finally realised that mature aged recruits are an untapped goldmine.

1 Like

Good thing about these kids is they work ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hard as well, Most are rough around the edges but clubs should back themselves in to develop them right except for Fark Carlton lol.

Helps when he played WAFL he didnā€™t play in a ā– ā– ā– ā–  WAFL team.

Our rookie list should have been chock full of these overlooked went back and proved themselves up and commers last 10yrs.

Unfortunately weā€™ve used it as a way of gradually letting senior list players go.

McK being the freak exception to this rule.

2 Likes

Very ordinary start to the year but has gotten going.
Probably getting a little bit more attention this year.

Letā€™s not get too trigger happy with mature age types. Plenty of good players, a few great players and looooots of plodders.

Iā€™ll say it once more. We were all going Ga Ga for Kommer at this point in his career.

2 Likes

I think we have been using our rookie for these sorts of types. Dell, Thurlow, that other guy.

Some of you were.

2 Likes

Unlucky to not get a rising star nod on the weekend.

Fixed

I agree with this. I still think the wankfest about Guelfi is way over the top. At the moment heā€™s a solid role player. Iā€™m still not convinced heā€™s truly best 22 if everyone was available, but if he holds or slightly improves his form heā€™ll be hard to keep out.
His big advantage is that he looks like he has flexibility to play a few different roles. That will help him stay in the team. I canā€™t see him breaking into say our best 6 midfielders.

I still think they should try him as a small defender.

5 Likes

Kommer is the type of player everybody wants in their teams at the moment. Crazy mad forward pressure and intimidation. Sure heā€™s not as skilled as Smith but I loved his attitude. Guelfi sits somewhere between the two, not quite as aggro as Kommer but more skilled.

4 Likes

And Kommer would probably be playing Bagsā€™ role right now if not for injury.

He was certainly up to the level, things just didnā€™t go his way.

8 Likes

Wasnā€™t that largely due to his lack of commitment for rehabilitating / preparing himself? Certainly that was the strong hint given by a few in the know posters around here.
If thatā€™s true ā€œthings just didnā€™t go his wayā€ could be worded differently.

1 Like

I had also heard such whispers.

Still doesnā€™t change the fact that injury (and maybe attitude) rather than talent, was his downfall.

2 Likes

The really bizarre thing is that in his first season he seemed like the sort of guy who had gotten there simply through desire and hard work, rather than skill. Then in the end if was partially due to not having enough desire and hard work that his career ended earlier than it could/should have