#35 Matt Guelfi - now til 2024!

the entire team is average at best.

I donā€™t really see it in Guelfi. But then again I donā€™t watch him super closely either - has he been playing predominantly midfield?

If heā€™s been playing midfield, Iā€™d be inclined to bring in Snelling who is a more like for like replacement for Dev - I feel weā€™ve been missing his manic pressure around the ball, and Iā€™d like to see how Snelling fares in that role since by all accounts heā€™s been killing it in the VFL.

1 Like

Good article. I really like Guelfi.

10 Likes

Canā€™t imagine Conor bleach blonde.

1 Like

I want to see it.

Why does the article say he went training after not being drafted instead of celebrating.

Celebrating not getting drafted?

1 Like

I think they mean he was hoping heā€™d be celebrating being drafted but wasnā€™t so went to training.

2 Likes

Ah yep that would make more sense. I read it like he had a choice to either train or celebrate given the quote that followed

Hmm, if I recall correctly, the first article written about him when he got drafted said he was a victim of his versatility, ie he never really showed what his best position was.

Iā€™m still not sure about him, his ceiling doesnā€™t seem high but I donā€™t mind him as he consistently puts in complete effort and intensity.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure he was always an inside mid until his last year at Claremont. I think the ā€œvictim of versatilityā€ comment referred to his last WA year when he struggled to play as consistently because he was playing new positions.

ā€œHe was playing as an inside midfielder and winning plenty of the ballā€
Helloooo!! How about we try that??

3 Likes

Thatā€™s the long term goal with Guelf. Weā€™re not short on clearance players at the moment so theyā€™re letting him develop other sides of his game first.

Articles like this always give me a greater appreciation for the player and his family.

I liked this from the article.

12 Likes

I am Cornholioā€¦

6 Likes

Enemies become friends.

2 Likes

The issue of Guelfiā€™s versatility stems from his WA coach who was saying predraft that one thing that might be both a plus & a minus was they had asked him to play a range of positions based on team needs, and he was able to do so successfully.
Hence he didnā€™t really have a defined spot against his name.

Guelfi is a good role player and I think we need guys like this in the 22.

Never shirks it, can find the ball or do a job.

5 Likes

Numbers werenā€™t amazing but it really feels like he had a major impact on the game.

So many little things he does that are awesome to watch and help us out. Very happy with his game and Iā€™ll be upset if people want him dropped. Numbers arenā€™t everything!!

3 Likes

His mark running back in front of a free Adelaide forward was the point I knew we would win. It was an incredible mark in the situation.

3 Likes